97 LJ-ish build

7beed7a63984d4d08647d0b18d3ec9c7.heic

Got the shock towers, brace, body mounts and track bar mount all burned in. I think I need to box the upper shock mounts then I’ll be all done with the front.

Next is brake lines then it will be moving again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I’m on the home stretch. Things I’ve got done:

-radiator
-water pump/thermostat housing
-Taurus fan and shroud
-wired up Volvo relay, new alternator with voltage regultor
-brake lines
-ghetto fab vent intake
-mounted both fenders
-Pretty much drilled out every single seized bolt hole and replaced with new rivnuts on this old ass 97.
-fixes all the skid plate threaded inserts as they were all messed up.
-remounted all the fender components.

Pictars:
new radiator and Taurus fan
f2383fff3eb53b015a51eea92cecb0b9.jpg

657b520976588cf15a736cdfb35e4c10.jpg

Wiring all this crap. I went from taking my time and soldering/heat shrinking everything to getting impatient and crimping connectors.

004c2ed5479c0bbcf01a51ec27cc5869.jpg

528896277b04de5a5215bb831b5e7405.jpg

37e25099dfcccec71dafe984ea11b10c.jpg

New intake
513e9989c0d6aa1b43ba85c9d11ada9e.jpg

New prop valve and brake line bent and ran up the firewall

655f650670ee060a090fb4aae8296792.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess this is broken? It’s dumping charcoal sprinkles everywhere.

b25dcdc7062eab8222cc729e28c47496.jpg

Anyone know what fitting goes to what on the canister above? One goes to the solenoid and one to the tank and I think the one on the right is just a breather?

Anyone know what fitting goes to what on the canister above? One goes to the solenoid and one to the tank and I think the one on the right is just a breather?

Newb

TJ Vapor Canister
I had many performance issues caused by the VC on my TJ several years ago. Long story short, I bought VC 120 from Autozone which is a generic Duralast Vapor Canister and installed that. I had to bend the mounting bracket a little bit to accommodate the canister. Now no more engine light or enginesurging/bucking. Make sure you replace all hoses to and from the canister. Mine had small pieces of charcoal stuck in them.

Total cost was around $60.

I hope this helps.

From another forum....BTW what do you want to do with it? Delete or fix?

Thanks dude. I’m looking at some generic canisters now. I’m trying to find one with just the tank/solenoid that doesn’t cost $$$.

My goal right now is just to get it running right with no codes so I can pass emissions. Eventually I’ll motor swap to something so don’t want to spend a lot of money on stuff that’s temporary.

DUDES. It’s an exciting day. My rig is sitting on its on weight for the first time in a year and a half. I finished up the hydro assist, plumbed the fuel cell and installed the struts up front. It was pretty satisfying to pull the jack stands.

80152d3894cc6d7a9fe76dcbfe41e1fd.jpg

c63aed12e2f49c6958a8c2ebfb3d8e81.jpg

565515cd99b36d207812f1a45167acb0.jpg

70c5fcdbc90bf7c4bd2fa882c815c95a.jpg

Ran into a problem maybe you guys can help me out with. The alternator seems to be surging power to the battery. According to the multimeter it is surging between 14.3v and 14.9v in a cyclic manner. the lights also seem to be fluctuating brightness on the same rhythm.

Background: 136a Durango alternator (not internally regulated) and an external voltage regulator. Battery is new and is fully charged.

I have upgraded all the grounds on the vic to 1/0 wire and to make sure it wasn’t a ground issue I used jumper cables to ground the alternator case directly to the neg terminal.

The alternator is a pull off and I was tested but maybe they didn’t do shit and just charged me $20?

Any ideas before I spring for a new alternator?

No tips for the back half but as far as the Alt. I’d take it back to get tested and watch them spin in a couple different times. I had one “tested” at the local O’ idiots and as soon as junior saw the gauge move he shut her down and plopped it in my hands. I was in a rush and accepted it. Got it all bolted back up and same issue. Bought a new one and problem solved. Might not be your situation but I would have it tested again.

Already got a new one buddy! Only reason I didn’t do it in the first place is because those boners said it tested good. I still get a slight flutter but seems to be charging well.

Being an EE, the fluctuating voltage could be a couple of things...

Battery is acting goofy (not likely) and loading up the alternator/regulator
The regulator is not working right or not designed for this application
Loose connections in other places of the charging system.

Just a couple of ideas.

Being an EE, the fluctuating voltage could be a couple of things...

Battery is acting goofy (not likely) and loading up the alternator/regulator
The regulator is not working right or not designed for this application
Loose connections in other places of the charging system.

Just a couple of ideas.

I think you might be right on the regulator part. It is the one suggested for PCM regulated Jeeps but it might be the culprit. Battery is brand new, alternator is brand new, grounds are all good but maybe there’s a wiring issue. I’m probably going to pull it all out and replace it.

Interestingly the guy at QuickStart who sold me the regulator said that it’s normal for the voltage to fluctuate as much as a half volt. My only context saying otherwise is that I’m not used to that and the other 3 vehicles in my driveway don’t fluctuate that much if at all while running.

It shouldn't fluctuate too much. I mean, it's PWM controlled field. It'll fluctuate if the load is changing, but steady load should be steady voltage. Bad brushes, diodes, or poor connections can cause it, but it sounds like the new one cured your problems.

Any tips from someone who has done the back-half before? Should I piece it together on the frame or get the spacing right and tack it together on a level surface, then slide it on?

It’s a Motobilt version of it makes any difference.

Also looking for suggestions on whether to use the shock towers I have from TMR or reinforce the cage and tie the struts into that.

Looks good man. Love the progress you've made on it. Sorry I havent been on in a while. Just got back from deployment. Hopefully we can get a trip in together this year before I deploy again. I am going to start a 3 link on the front of my rig this week.

Looks good man. Love the progress you've made on it. Sorry I havent been on in a while. Just got back from deployment. Hopefully we can get a trip in together this year before I deploy again. I am going to start a 3 link on the front of my rig this week.

Welcome home man! I hope I can get my trash together to get a wheeling trip in by Spring.

Back