95 Dodge 5.9 - thoughts?

tkeaton

Master Velocipede Alchemist
Likely to be picking up a 1995 dodge 3500 van tomorrow for the engine specifically. Has the 5.9L, MPI-LDC V8. I'm doing this because I will cover my cost by scrapping all but the rear axle and drivetrain, plus I need a cheap, running/driving engine for the rat project.

Never been inside a dodge power plant before, what are the specific concerns I should have for this ol girl? Has approx 178k on the odo, nothing jumping out in terms of leaks or damage from the outside. Cranks smoothly, no weird noises or smells or smoke, revs fine, pulls strong AF until the busted 4th gear tries kicking in.

What is the weak point in these? What should I do beyond the above? What should I be scared of?

My grandpa has several of these in 15 passenger vans to haul crews around in. Over 200k on all of them and we have had only one develop low compression on one cylinder. No other issues or complaints you should be fine for another 100-150k miles

Is this the one with the big beer barrel intake manifold like in the grand Cherokee 5.2? If so the underside of the intake manifold has a block off plate that separates the plenum and runner from the oil / lifter galley. It’s made of tinfoil and over time can loosen over time and spit the gasket leading to crankcase gasses being sucked into the intake runners. Causes poor mpg, bad throttle response, and can through emissions codes. Hughes engines has the cure for cheap.

This is when I did one in my ZJ
4B98A83F-C4C7-4407-8BBD-66403480FDD3.jpeg
61BF8FD3-9707-4556-B694-F0A8B7618458.jpeg
615B66CC-ECCB-4F31-BCD1-A0A3335221B0.jpeg

4174D698-978E-42A5-B206-3812F1D9A45C.jpeg

Put a good transmission behind one and enjoy. These things are stout, and I would rank them just under the modern-day LS as far as reliability/swappability and bang for buck powerhorses.

Furthermore, if the low mileage, good condition 5.2&5.9 magnums weren't so difficult to find these days, I'd do another swap into a Jeep (or anything light) in a heartbeat.

Got the ol girl home last weekend, spent most my evenings last week working to pull the engine/tranny.....can't say I'll ever want to work on a snub-nose again :mad:

Current plan is to rebuild the transmission myself, shop rates are $1900-2750, and rebuild kit and manual valve body can be had for less than $600.

As the trans is losing any need for electronics, I'm 90% decided on stripping the rest of the electrics and fuel injection and going as mechanical as possible.

Keeping in mind this is for a ratrod, performance is of little concern; simplicity and lack of clutter are the goal. Aside from the intake, carb, fuel regulator and ignition, what else do I need to consider with this specific engine? Any sensors I need to block off, etc?

Back