93 XJ build

Let the new year begin. I thought I was going to be nimble and let the lockers and high ground clearance do the hard work. After wheeling for two years on some trails I would consider hard it was always ledges and undercuts that stopped me. I researched and projected costs and a tow rig and trailer won't be realistic for the next two years. I figure if I make my axles bombproof and keep a simple fuse (1310 u joints) I won't have any issues on a drive home from where ever.

Plans are 5.38 gears/detroits front and rear. I have until August to gear these myself then they have to go under the jeep. 3 link the front and keep the leaf springs in the back. I plan on bumping my 3.5" coils to 4.5" coils. I'll retain my 35s :eek: until I can afford new tars, hopefully a nice radial 37-40.

The front 60 is a little intimidating. I am already saving bookmarks of the special tools people need to take these apart and put them back together. To remove the awful brackets that SD 60s have I will use a porta band and my trusty angle grinder.

Let's see how long it takes before I am broke and single :lol:

View attachment 260109

View attachment 260110

This post was from December 2017... you have had the axles since then... good lord get this thing on the trail! :D

Dual income and no kids, this thing should be done and wheeled by now! Lol.

You ready to part it out yet?

This post was from December 2017... you have had the axles since then... good lord get this thing on the trail! :D

I mean @tknopp will have his building done, and producing product before this thing gets moving

What'a the big hurry right now? I don't see any 1 ton axles, 4 speed transfer cases, or 40s in y'alls driveways :flipoff2:

At least @adamk is on the right track :D

I have been so back and forward on how to do the rear double triangulate 4 link and keep the front steering and trac bar favorable. Progress is being made, just slowed down on posting to this thread because my pace is excessively depressing.

What'a the big hurry right now? I don't see any 1 ton axles, 4 speed transfer cases, or 40s in y'alls driveways :flipoff2:

I have been so back and forward on how to do the rear double triangulate 4 link and keep the front steering and trac bar favorable. Progress is being made, just slowed down on posting to this thread because my pace is excessively depressing.

Your jeep is becoming just as elusive as @jeepinmatt jackstand warrior :flipoff2: Rear 4 links are simple, then again you could sell me your coilovers and then you run leafs so you'll make it on the trail before 2022

At this rate you should just buy a used 2021 Ford Bronco in 2031 and still be on the trails before you finish this XJ :flipoff2:

My patience paid off somewhat on setting up the coilover towers. Things seem to line up nicely. The tabs will be welded an inch or so up on the slope of the metal plate. So slight angle on the coilovers at ride height. Nothing crazy. Of course the plate will be reinforced with chocks underneath it.

Probably knock out the 3 link on Saturday.

64ab0414546e21472a36cfe146e82173.jpg

0eff207cedb67a67372acb88f092fb85.jpg

1c50b1b4fb499bb515d7441290be1412.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My patience paid off somewhat on setting up the coilover towers. Things seem to line up nicely. The tabs will be welded an inch or so up on the slope of the metal plate. So slight angle on the coilovers at ride height. Nothing crazy. Of course the plate will be reinforced with chocks underneath it.

Probably knock out the 3 link on Saturday.

64ab0414546e21472a36cfe146e82173.jpg

0eff207cedb67a67372acb88f092fb85.jpg

1c50b1b4fb499bb515d7441290be1412.jpg

I knew some good ole peer pressure could get you moving along :lol:

Hey Nick what spring length and rate you use on the front?

Hey Nick what spring length and rate you use on the front?

14” 200lb upper spring
16” 250lb lower spring

They came off of the front of a V8 wrangler so I suspect this should be pretty close as far as spring rate. I believe that comes out to 111 lb/in spring rate over all.

We will see when the rubber hits the road :D

Notched the front housing for another spot to put a jack stand. Probably should have done that a long time ago.

6b3e6c73f7d322ec3b4743c06d79f130.jpg

Back