9" seal problems

thebluyak

Alright I am trying to change the seals on in the inside of my 9" axle. I cant get the seal out (line with seal wrtten on it) and that is the only thing that appears to be a seal. If that is the seal the bearing rests outside of the seal (see place where bearing sits) then how does the bearing get gear oil to lubricate it? This is the seal they gave me at advance auto. It wont fit all the way to where the old seal is and it is so big it will only sit where the bearing is soppused to rest. Am I trying to pull something thats not a seal, did they give me the wrong seal at auto zone and how does the bearing get lubricated??
T0_-1_1051934.JPG

Here is the seal they gave me at auto zone
T0_-1_1051940.JPG

big bearing vs. small bearing

AutoZone or Advance?...ahhh hell nevermind both suk most of the time...

so they gave me the seal for a small bearing axle even after we looked at the year and model? or are you trying to say I have the small bearing and they gave me the big bearing model. Because I was pretty sure I had the big bearing 31spline axle

That is the big bearing 9. Did you already buy the HD retaining plates? If not I would go ahead and buy them. I got all my seals, bearings, and retaining plates from currie. They cost a little more, but solved all my leaking problems and also didn't warp from the side loading that we put on them. I highly suggest that you go ahead and buy these parts since you are building it up. It is much cheaper to built it right once than wrong twice. The original seals that I bought were from auto crap. They fit but leaked like crazy. Then the retainers warped from to much side load and the axles could move side to side over a 1/4 inch.

Thanks down&dirty, how did you get that axle seal out, it was being a bitch to remove. Do you know of anywhere you can pick up the 4 bolts that bolt the axle shaft to the housing, the kinda have a flot oval shapped head.

Also did you get the SEALED LARGE AXLE BEARING WITH O-RING
Mfg: Currie Enterprises
Our Price: $69.95

or the

AXLE BEARING - LARGE
Mfg: Currie Enterprises
Our Price: $36.95
Description: Sealed type large axle bearing - 1.533" I.D. x 3.150" O.D. Sold each.

Also do you know which wheel studs would the correct ones to order? Thanks for this website, im going to return those seals tomorrow and get that money back and order some stuff from currie

The axle bearing on a BB nine does not run in oil. I used a long bar from the other end to knock the seal out when I built the BB nine in my ranger.

The factory seal goes in the axle before the bearing like your PIC. The factory bearing is a standard sealed roller bearing. If you up grade to the Timken tapered bearings, you will move the seal to the outside of the bearing on the axle.

I bought a tool from Snap-On just for pulling these type seals. It is about 10 inches long with a J hook on one end, and a handle and hammering surface on the other end. Works great. I bought it after breaking several screwdrivers getting the seal out of my 14 bolt.

I just used a hooked pry bar to remove them. It was a pain, but came out ok. I didn't order the sealed bearings, but the cheaper ones. I also didn't order bolts from them. I used a larger bolt and just used a cutoff wheel to get rid of one side of the head so that they would hold tight on the housing. I think the upgrade was to a 1/2 bolt. It worked really well with the HD retainers.

Back