9" bearings on shaft

thebluyak

Alright I finally pulled my shafts last night, and the outter bearing came with it, not sure if its soppused to or not, its what is above the brake backing plate in these pictures. My question is how do I get it off, I dont want to beat on it and break the bearings, do I heat it up and pull it off or do I have to get a bearing puller?

aimg454.imageshack.us_img454_9899_10000772zr.jpg

aimg454.imageshack.us_img454_6498_10000802lq.jpg

aimg454.imageshack.us_img454_5513_10000786oz.jpg

I never took one off that I was going to put back on, so not sure how to do that. The bearing is pressed on, so it is tough to get back off. I have seen them put back on several ways. A hollow tube used like a slide hammer. Heating the bearing on a woodstove and putting it on the axle after it had been put in a freezer a while. I have also seen them just pressed on with a hydrualic(sp) press.

When I replaced my backing plates I took the axles to the carquest machine shop. I ordered the HD plates from currie and also went ahead and got new bearings. The machinest said he could have probably saved my bearings, but it would be better to just replace them. It was $25 an axle to get them broken down and reassembled. Just dropped them off in the morning and picked them up that night. No sweat, blood, or tears.

The bearings are pressed on the shaft. If the bearings are good, just reinstall the shaft and tighten down the flange bolts.

I wouldnt need the backing plate put back on, cause drum brakes are a huge pain so im ditching them and getting discs. Can any machine shop do this and how would you find a machine shop? Phone book?

Studnuts, I need that backing plate off, I guess I can cut throught it, the bearings are still good in them.

My 9" backing plate came off without removing the bearings. The hole in the backing plate fit over the bearing. It was a tight fit but once I had it turned right it came off (I did have to wiggle the plate when the bearing was in the hole a little to make it come off). I still have not removed my bearings yet.

air chisel, 90* to the bearing, enough to notch/deform it a little, it will slide right off.

thebluyak said:
Studnuts, I need that backing plate off, I guess I can cut throught it, the bearings are still good in them.

Id plasma cut those backing plates off faster than you could reply to this post.

WHY do you need to remove the bearings?

If it is just to get the backing plates off - just cut them off.
Cover the bearings with something so you don't get crap in them.

If you need the bearings off to do some mod then to put them back on -
Get new bearings.
And while they are off - replace the outter seal, too.

At the cost of labor to TRY to save the old bearings it is not worth it.

If you have access to an air chisel and a piece of pipe you can do it yourself and save the price of the bearings in labor.

It would take me longet to type out the whole process than it would to do the actual job, so you might ask around, I am sure about half of this crowd has done it at least once.
But here are a couple tips.

The first piece on there is a retaining ring.
It is on there but good.
It is darn near impossible to press off the bearing and retainer w/o derstroying the bearing.
You have to get the retainer off first.

AFAIK - you cannot buy just the retaining ring.

I usually score the retaining ring either by drilling 90% through it or cutting it with a Wizz Wheel (Depending on the mood I am in) then push it off with an air chisel. Then the bearing usually comes off fairly easily.

BE VERY CAREFUL YOU DON'T NICK THE AXLE SHAFT!

Yes, you will destroy both the ring and the bearing this way, but you will be putting on new bearings.

Now - what was your question?

:p

haha I think i will try to just get the backing plate around the bearing first but thanks for that lengthy response

Yeah, the backing plate should come off...otherwise, I've always just put the shaft in the press, pulled the handle, and waited for the bang.

I think im going to get napa to pop off the old bearings and then change them to timken bearings whenever i replace the brakes to disc. Is there anywhere around greensboro/high point that can do this for a good price?

If your napa has a press to take the bearings off, they just as easily press the bearings back on... I doubt you'll find a parts store willing to do either though due to safety risks. It took most of a 20 ton press to get my bronco's original bearing off.

much easier if knock outter press ring off first. Just use a cold chisel or I like to drill them in 2-3 spots about 3/4 way down then smack them with a chisel, just crack it, THEN press the bearing off..

I've removed bearings off a 9" shafts several times using the torch to heat the bearing, evenly, to the point that a few taps with a hammer makes her slide right off. Easy. :)

- Mac

how hot did you have to get it??? I tried using a torch but it didnt seem to help to much

spraypaintman said:
cherry red...

Yikes.. I would think you'd be messing with the metalurgy of the axle shaft by heating it that hot.

Ok, maybe not cherry red maybe more like Pink Icing!:D

Someone told me those bearings are aftermarket bearings and not the timken bearings, so I think im going to chisel and drill those off and replace the bearings completely, also whats the easiest way to get a frozen brake drum off if your not going to be using it again? My other side drum is frozen solid, PB blaster and blow torch and a hammer havnt moved it

It doesnt matter what brand they are.... see the pic. just remove the press ring first then the bearing will come off a lot easier. I usually drill 3 small 1/4" holes in a triangle as pictured. Just try to stay off the shaft, its hardend so you would have to try really hard to damage it but no need to try.. Then use a cold chissel across all 3 holes.

With the press ring off I have even used a small screwdriver to wiggle the bearing off.. (not recamended procedure) The press rings only job is to hold the bearing on **

do you have a press or other type puller and a bearing spiltter? How are you tring to pull them off?

oh ya.. put your bottle torch away before you start your garage on fire. :flipoff2:

** in some cases (zukes) the press ring doubles as the machined seal surface

Attachments

• press-ring.jpg
    press-ring.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 276
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I used the torch to get the "press ring" off. If I recall correctly, the new bearing kit comes with a new press ring, but I could be wrong...

- Mac

yeH i think it does, and when i was asking about aftermarket bearings it cause i was going to replace them with timken bearings. Um i dont have a bearing puller or any of that kinda fancy contraption, my dad might have one that I dont know about

Bottle torches are life savers haha

Back