89 runner rebuild

superpile

Probably running in circles
4AA51C11-8BBB-488F-B4F5-EDA8626B8FC6.jpeg
73A8D9A2-0A39-476B-9509-A167D2927E44.jpeg
B3D4961D-8F68-405B-A1A7-D2AB4351A47A.jpeg
About a week ago I picked up a fairly well built 89 runner with a sas. Old build with all kinds of Marlin crawler goodies from southern Cali that spent a few years in Alaska then TN via a previous owner being in the Air Force. Basics: 4:88 gears on v6 diffs. Detroit lockers. Marfields. High steer, dual case with rear 4.7 gears. Factory V6 with marlin clutch kit. 9500 winch with marlin front, rear bumpers, rock sliders and dual case high clearance skid. Tom woods long travel driveshaft even. Everything works even the AC. It came with two seats of tires 36 SSRs on aluminum wheels and some Bart steel wheels with 33 inch Street tread tires.

It needed a new steering box and seals on the rear case and rear axle. And full exhaust as the exhaust is rotted and partially missing from rear case on. All the shocks were dead to. Driver seat and belt are broke in that 30 years of use kinda of way.

So my plans are to make it the family rock wagon like I used to have before we had kids but need now with with kids. Odd to come full circle. I have a steering box and ram kit enroute from trail gear along with seals and diff straps. Bilstein shocks headed in from marlin. I plan to add a removable steering wheel set up and suspension seat for driver use and ease of access. Harnesses for all the seats. I’m a fan of disk brakes in the rear so I’m doing the cheap disc swap on the rear when I reseal the rear axle. Hit the trails next month.

Finished The herculiner top and windshield coating this morning so I’ll get some pics of that up shortly.

Long term I plan to do a fuel cell and relocate the battery to the rear. Thinking four link rear with coils when winter hits. Any advice on donor coils is appreciated.

Last edited:
310A9E7E-E454-4172-BBAD-FDD1DD612977.jpeg
Headed out in the morning for exhaust. No more exhaust in the cab! Also going to go by car wash and pressure wash the axle housings to get ready to tear down and reseal them. The liner coating on the top and cab roof turned out decent to so that is a bonus.

Last edited:
Ugh parts are a pain. Trail gear has been holding both my orders waiting on the steering box to come back in stock even though it said in stock when I bought it. So after waiting two weeks being told it was in stock they finally said it was out and has been for weeks. They don’t expect more in till August 19. So I’m torn. Full hydro over assist? Thoughts?

i got the exhaust fixed. Quick disconnect steering wheel in. Rear axle torn down cleaned painted. Ready for seals axles and disks if they ever make in. Found a shot axle bearing so replacing both. Pics coming. Waiting on parts to pile in but box is a ways off. May buy a stock one from parts store and just tap the damn thing.

Buddy brought by exhaust for my fox though, looks pretty sweet....

Attachments

• D4F81AB7-70A0-410F-8201-D76405342468.jpeg
    D4F81AB7-70A0-410F-8201-D76405342468.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 208
Ugh parts are a pain. Trail gear has been holding both my orders waiting on the steering box to come back in stock even though it said in stock when I bought it. So after waiting two weeks being told it was in stock they finally said it was out and has been for weeks. They don’t expect more in till August 19. So I’m torn. Full hydro over assist? Thoughts?

i got the exhaust fixed. Quick disconnect steering wheel in. Rear axle torn down cleaned painted. Ready for seals axles and disks if they ever make in. Found a shot axle bearing so replacing both. Pics coming. Waiting on parts to pile in but box is a ways off. May buy a stock one from parts store and just tap the damn thing.

Buddy brought by exhaust for my fox though, looks pretty sweet....
Opposed to finding an IFS box and drilling tapping yourself? Pretty sure that's what most yota folks do. I lucked up and found @off_road2 old box on here that he already drilled / tapped.

Opposed to finding an IFS box and drilling tapping yourself? Pretty sure that's what most yota folks do. I lucked up and found @off_road2 old box on here that he already drilled / tapped.
No not at all. I’ve done close to 30 boxes in the past for myself and others in the NC community over last 15 years or so.

Just the one on this Runner was shot, bearings wallowed out the housing. I tried to locate a used working box to drill and tap but no luck, so I went the route of ordering one from TG built and tapped thinking no core charge and ready to ship. All the part stores wanted 350-600 plus 125-250 core charge, depending on vendor, rebuilt to stock standards but none could confirm availability of them.

Just got off the phone with them they called to let me know 4 came in today and mine is shipping today so all good and should be ready very shortly! Parts come on trail is calling!

Grooving the tires a little to get a few rides out before getting some new ones in 38 flavor.

Attachments

• 8D7E046A-E94D-4F53-BFF3-A79FA369F3D0.jpeg
    8D7E046A-E94D-4F53-BFF3-A79FA369F3D0.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 186
Progress! Parts are showing pouring in tomorrow. Still want make next weekend due to marlin just shipping my axle bearing rebuild kits Friday. They are currently in Fresno CA still... but anyway should basically come together this week finally after all this waiting.

Attachments

• 5080EE9A-E9D1-43FC-91D8-AC7430861F17.jpeg
    5080EE9A-E9D1-43FC-91D8-AC7430861F17.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 5B48745B-4770-4BBA-894B-6F26D4AC7467.jpeg
    5B48745B-4770-4BBA-894B-6F26D4AC7467.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 418ADFF6-8784-4C87-B8DA-AB5F96E893C8.jpeg
    418ADFF6-8784-4C87-B8DA-AB5F96E893C8.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 169
  • C526C552-55DD-4BDF-8080-1ADC52553C8E.jpeg
    C526C552-55DD-4BDF-8080-1ADC52553C8E.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 182
Good news on the build to update, Jody Treadyway master of all differentiation is penciling me in to build my High pinion front end shortly to really take care of the front end and hopefully keep me from destroying the low pinion front over and over like I did in the old runner and mini trucks I’ve had. So stoked to get that going in the next few weeks! Thanks Jody! Can’t wait to hit the trail soon and get the front end fully me proofed soon after!

2834BE55-C5D9-4E43-9E2B-8942EF04E220.jpeg
Progress. Getting close to being ready to ride. New chrome mo,y rears are in with new seals and bearings. Diff was out and cleaned. Disc brakes are on. Hopefully get time to mount the calibers and hook up lines tomorrow.

Last edited:
4E50D6D1-1AE0-4853-994A-227949A91570.jpeg
New 20 inch wide jugs suspension seat and harness is in. Used a new slider and made some mounts to cross breed the seat to the mount. Very happy with the removable steering wheel and seat set up. Getting in out is much easier and the seat and harness are a nice upgrade over the broke stock seat and busted factory belt latch.

Last edited:
Steering steering steering. Box is in and ram is mounted. I ended up building new mounts for it and mounting it lower due to interference with the oil pan at front stuff. I welded in a diff strap and built off that. Braced it up and will build a guard ramp type bar shortly to protect it fully. The 2 inch bore will be great I’ve run the tractor farm supply version full hydro in the past but this one with chrome moly heim joints makes mounting easy anywhere. Hopefully get the thing bled out tomorrow. Still need to make a 3/4 inch thick stop for passenger side turns, got the material on the lathe just didn’t punch it out but plan to after work tomorrow. Getting close!

Attachments

• 39744F88-D483-42C6-ABA8-72A161EEA258.jpeg
    39744F88-D483-42C6-ABA8-72A161EEA258.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Beadlocks are done. Just need the new shoes. Finished up the ram was bleeding the system and found a leaking rubber return line so hope to finish that tomorrow. Installed the rear calibers and found a bad thread from plating so had to order a 12 by 1.25 tap to clean the threads out. Monday on that one. I plan to finish up the rear end tomorrow and install the new rear output seal and driveshaft then weld in the diff strap. Add gear oil and it will be done other than the one caliber and bleeding the system. Hoping to be on the trail next weekend. Dropping off the HP housing and goodies with Treadway Monday so it’s all coming together slowly...

Attachments

• 104D4113-782C-4673-8BA4-2182F4667AD0.jpeg
    104D4113-782C-4673-8BA4-2182F4667AD0.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 196
New 20 inch wide jugs suspension seat and harness is in. Used a new slider and made some mounts to cross breed the seat to the mount. Very happy with the removable steering wheel and seat set up. Getting in out is much easier and the seat and harness are a nice upgrade over the broke stock seat and busted factory belt latch.
What sliders did you use? How much throw do they have?
I put Carbou RS folding seats in mine, they are comfy but too tall. Head clise to the ceiling, and im only 5'9". Id rather use buckets but was worried that rear access would be too bad.

How much you plan on streeting this rig? If not a ton, I'd get a load reactive orbital and do full hydro. On the rear 4 link, air shocks are way easier to package and really not all that much cost roughly $420 plus shipping new. Just a thought!

How much you plan on streeting this rig? If not a ton, I'd get a load reactive orbital and do full hydro. On the rear 4 link, air shocks are way easier to package and really not all that much cost roughly $420 plus shipping new. Just a thought!
Well I wish I had gone full hydro but steering up is all done with the big cylinder assist. Not any plan to street it right now. I’ve tried air shocks on two of my rigs in the past and just haven’t like them. They unload to easy without a sway bar and screwing with pressure and oil just wasn’t worth it. They are super easy to package in a link build. Maybe I just need someone to teach me how to dial them in.

What sliders did you use? How much throw do they have?
I put Carbou RS folding seats in mine, they are comfy but too tall. Head clise to the ceiling, and im only 5'9". Id rather use buckets but was worried that rear access would be too bad.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/csu-c22023l?rrec=true
like the reviews said I had to open the holes or slot a couple to make it work. But works well with minimal effort. Clearance on the head is similar to stock. Moves more than stock depending on how you set it up on the holes, more back or more forward. I got it since the stock seat was toast and the belt latch was broke so I wanted a nice comfy seat with a five point harness. My passenger seat is still stock but I think it would still be able to move enough to replace the it to if you set it forward with less room. I’m 6 foot so I still feel it sits high.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/csu-c22023l?rrec=true
like the reviews said I had to open the holes or slot a couple to make it work. But works well with minimal effort. Clearance on the head is similar to stock. Moves more than stock depending on how you set it up on the holes, more back or more forward. I got it since the stock seat was toast and the belt latch was broke so I wanted a nice comfy seat with a five point harness. My passenger seat is still stock but I think it would still be able to move enough to replace the it to if you set it forward with less room. I’m 6 foot so I still feel it sits high.
Excellent, thanks. Didn't know they had "bolt ons" for corbeau for OEM. I fabbed my own but it ended up high. Part of it is the Carbeau seats have thicker bottoms so they end up taller too.

Well I wish I had gone full hydro but steering up is all done with the big cylinder assist. Not any plan to street it right now. I’ve tried air shocks on two of my rigs in the past and just haven’t like them. They unload to easy without a sway bar and screwing with pressure and oil just wasn’t worth it. They are super easy to package in a link build. Maybe I just need someone to teach me how to dial them in.

Same here, I’m hoping to start learning the art of shock tuning soonish. Haven’t had enough chances to tinker with it, mine are set up now so that they’re pretty stiff so a sway bar isn’t necessary. It’s not uncommon for me to roll my rig though. I just accepted it as a part of running air shocks...

Hydro assist is still good stuff as well, I’ll be on the lookout for a IFS box as well if you’re still having trouble getting it from TG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, I’m hoping to start learning the art of shock tuning soonish. Haven’t had enough chances to tinker with it, mine are set up now so that they’re pretty stiff so a sway bar isn’t necessary. It’s not uncommon for me to roll my rig though. I just accepted it as a part of running air shocks...

Hydro assist is still good stuff as well, I’ll be on the lookout for a IFS box as well if you’re still having trouble getting it from TG.

Read my last reply in the ori thread about tuning.

It explains the mindset of what you are trying to accomplish when tuning. Given, i really need an image to go along with it lol.

They did come through with it. Mounted and ready to go. I actually called to just swap the order for an orbital a couple weeks back to be told it shipped that day so it was on the way and I just went with it. Took like 15 mins to install and I was done a few days later when it arrived. Still wish I had done full hydro but I’m retarded and may do it later anyways after this winter. Who knows.

Out of the shop roaming the yard! Ready for its first trail run. I am for sure moving the battry to rear though to make room for the power steering filter. Also going to go to rod ends on the tie rod over the 80 tie rods in the high steer. It does allow the the wheel to return to center due the slop. I did find a popping sound backing up with the wheel cut full passenger so not sure if it has a cracked birf or something diff related. Treadway here is building me a high pinion front in the next couple weeks so I’ll tear it down then and find out but until then I want to try it out on some trails anyways.
ECBC4996-0013-4A7B-8362-A0199AB8520F.jpeg
94831DE7-5C3C-4F4A-943F-DBAA73E4FE18.jpeg

I have to give Goforth Tire a shout, these tires and wheels are awesome and the price was great, so much cheaper than I could get either, and they arrived assembled!

Back