89 chevy 2500 service truck Tow rig

marty79

Well I scored pretty good (for me) on a legit tow rig..for me finally since we're settled and ain't going anywhere!!
Major Project for sure but will be a cool towing/work truck!
89 Chevy 2500 2wd truck with Service Bed.
5.7L, Auto 3spd, Carburetor, 4:10(mechanically unconfirmed), basic of basic model lol. Manual window, no factory radio (didn't even know they did that haha), load E tires etc. Gonna be a project but will be nice rig eventually.
0730171939_Burst01.jpg
0730171939.jpg
0730171940a.jpg
0730171940b.jpg

Ok I'm confused already lol...I'm online looking for brake pads and rotors and for the C2500 or K2500 rotors are listed for 6 lug???WTH...help!

They made some trucks with the 9.5" 14 bolt rear that were 6 lug, but labeled as a 2500. Obviously you need 8 lug and for a C2500. They're like 25 bucks a piece on Rock Auto.

6 lug 2500 is 7200lb GVW
8 lug 2500 is 8600lb GVW

I hate 2wd front rotors because you gotta pack wheel bearings!

Thank you very much!

They made some trucks with the 9.5" 14 bolt rear that were 6 lug, but labeled as a 2500. Obviously you need 8 lug and for a C2500. They're like 25 bucks a piece on Rock Auto.

6 lug 2500 is 7200lb GVW
8 lug 2500 is 8600lb GVW

I hate 2wd front rotors because you gotta pack wheel bearings!

You don't have to pack wheel bearings on the GMT-400s, right? I can't remember, all my 2500 GMT-400 trucks were 4x4 and I could replace the rotors without doing the bearings. My 88 C1500 I can do it without the wheel bearings too.

And yes, should be TBI. Should also be a 4-spd automatic.

You don't have to pack wheel bearings on the GMT-400s, right? I can't remember, all my 2500 GMT-400 trucks were 4x4 and I could replace the rotors without doing the bearings. My 88 C1500 I can do it without the wheel bearings too.

And yes, should be TBI. Should also be a 4-spd automatic.

4L80s didn't start till 91

All the rotors were showing as 1 piece.

Wow thanks guys for all the info, its helping a lot. It is 5.7, it is 3spd, I think tbi (should be, he said carbed lol), and rotors have shown up as both styles ...go figure. I haven't tore into anything yet ..still trying to get my rig ready woohoo..keep the info coming though!!hehe

So is the th400 a good trans vs 4l80...it shifted really strong when we drove it

TH400 is plenty strong, old school 3 speed with no overdrive. 4L80's have an overdrive and it's electronically shifted if I'm not mistaken. TH400 should serve you well, just not as fuel efficient.

400s are non lockup, to the best of my knowledge.

Little update: it has an intake and carb swap on it from years ago..why?? Beats me but will be little easier for mods and upgrades. Yeah its the quadrajet..
Parts getting ordered: head gaskets, intake gaskets, timing set, distributor/plugs/wires, water pump, p/s pump, pads, rotors, mufflers and pipe, ignition module, start with that for now!
Was curious if anyone has modified the top divider of stock dual plane intake to gain little upper rpms? I know all the differences between single/double plane and want to keep mine for the lower end torque but was wondering if taking out little bit of the center divider (maybe an inch down) would help a little.
I'm getting a 2"carb spacer also and they come either 4hole or one big opening so was thinking if the spacer was the single plane setup, should help with upper rpms a little??...thoughts from some v8 gurus....

For use a tow vehicle I would consider a lot more cubic inches or much better heads and a good cam. Your motor is going to be disappointing. I've been there and done that and it's not enough motor for that truck to tow a trailer loaded with a vehicle

Well that sounds great and all but its geared 4:10 and with some mild upgrades it will do just fine...for now! Later on I want a big block anyway so this couple hundred bucks will get it reliable and such. (Don't really care to even attempt to keep up with diesel or the like when pulling lol)

Little update: it has an intake and carb swap on it from years ago..why?? Beats me but will be little easier for mods and upgrades. Yeah its the quadrajet..
Parts getting ordered: head gaskets, intake gaskets, timing set, distributor/plugs/wires, water pump, p/s pump, pads, rotors, mufflers and pipe, ignition module, start with that for now!
Was curious if anyone has modified the top divider of stock dual plane intake to gain little upper rpms? I know all the differences between single/double plane and want to keep mine for the lower end torque but was wondering if taking out little bit of the center divider (maybe an inch down) would help a little.
I'm getting a 2"carb spacer also and they come either 4hole or one big opening so was thinking if the spacer was the single plane setup, should help with upper rpms a little??...thoughts from some v8 gurus....

Are all those parts and gaskets bad? I wouldnt replace all that just for the sake of it.

I would not modify the intake. The spacers have a large opening so that they are more universal, not nessecarily becuase they work better.

Are you familiar and experienced with Q-jets? They can be kind of tricky if not. As mentioned, I wouldnt throw a bunch of $$ in this motor, when you could swap it for not much more and get better results.

If I may offer some advice...

John...you're a smart guy. Do what I always do. When I buy something I am not familiar with or have no background in, I go immediately and download, (or buy), a Factory Service Manual, or at the very least, a Haynes manual. Familiarize yourself with what you have. Your questions will be 95% answered there! (see attached pic...!) Def worth the $10

Attachments

• manuals pic.jpg
    manuals pic.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 283
Are all those parts and gaskets bad? I wouldnt replace all that just for the sake of it.

I was wondering the same thing.
Reminds me of my brother in law, every vehicle he used to buy h used to "deep service" to include things like valve cover and head gaskets etc. Inevitably creating more problems than solving.

My FIL used to threaten to weld the hoods shut for improved longevity

Back