88 Trooper problems

1stgenxxx

I just purchased an 88 Trooper from a friend. It has the EFI 4cylinder engine in it. The trooper had been sitting for about 8 months with out being started. It has new plugs/wires/distributor/rotor button/starter. It is getting fire but I can't seem to get it to crank. It has started to crank a few times when we completely covered the throtle body. I have checked all the fuses and I can't figure out what is going wrong with this thing. Input would be greatly appreciated.

what do you mean hand over the throttle body? if you have the air inlet hose removed, that's your problem. everything has to be hooked up to the tb so that the air meter can function correctly.

It wouldn't do anything when the hose was connected right.

I'm not very good with engines...any tricks to get this thing to fire even for just a little bit so I will know it runs??

has anyone has simular problems???

Explain exactly what it does when you try to start it. Does it turn over slowly? Is it getting gas? Water in the gas? TB clogged? Plugs gapped correctly? There are numerous things that could keep it from starting.

when you say Crank you mean start right?
Check your fuel pressure there should be a shrader valve(like tire air valve) somewhere on the fuel line. push the valve to see if you are getting fuel pressure. you can also use starting fluid to get ito fire.
Also check your fuses you might have a injector/ecm fuse bad or missing.

Are you sure the new plug wires are on correctly (ask Bruiser about that..... LOL)
unless you have a mass air flow sensors it should run without the air intake connected, but even if you do it should still start.

I put an electric fuel pump on it to be sure that it was getting fuel and still nothing. So now it's getting fuel. I am thinking that the TB may be gummed up or something like you said. I opeded the floater and rubbed my finger around inside it; it came out black. Should I try some starter fluid in the TB? Maybe it will give it that little boost it needs. What I ment by trys to crank- the crank turns but wont run then shakes a bit..then nothing.

Jeff, did you put a trooper efi 4 banger electric fuel pump or one of the seven dollor ones from the parts store. If its on of the little one its like 3-4 psi, and it needs like 30 or better id say, u still ridin over to the house later ta cut up the taco? If so just ask my dad he'll know i bet

oh yea, and another thing the shaking when you start it kinda sounds like the mass air flow sensor isnt hooked up. I dont even know if it has one but that sounds like what my truck does with it unhooked

I have work tonight. The mass air flow is hooked up. I am going to the parts store right now to get some starting fluid :driver: uhh the fuel pump was an electric one that came off of del's 85 toyota.
my tummy is torn up from that darn vodka last night. Thanks for the egg on my windshield.

I sprayed some starting fluid in the TB and I got it running for about5 seconds...sounds like a beast. The stock fuel pump isn't workin at all and I dont think that the electric one is giving enough fuel pressure**like Jake said** thanks jake. I hope to get this thing running good tomorow. I have work in a little while so I can't today.

bastard****correction**bastard with a huge ass Tacoma

Back