86 F-350 SRW 4x4 300-6 on 38's

Hurdt299

I've been working on this project for almost a year. Been planning on doing a build thread and tonight I finally got around to it. I bought this truck last January. Here's what I started out with. 1986 F-250 4x4 300 4 spd. I bought it from the original owner. He still had the title dated 1986. The truck only has two spots of rust in the exterior about the size of a quarter and a small hole in the passenger floor pan. The interior was completely gutted but it came with most of it in the bed. It had 95-97 aluminum F-250/350 wheels, 16x10 steels, and factory steel wheels, 3 sets of tires, step bars, two bumpers, grille guard, and extra door panels. When I went to pick it up I found out it had a crate motor with about 25k miles on it. I brought it all home for $1350. I hadn't planned on putting a Cummins in it until one showed up at my house a couple weeks ago.

The original plan was to ditch the ttb front and semi floater 10.25 rear and go with a 60 front and FF 10.25 rear, keep the 300, convert it to a duraspark II distributor, 33" muds and drive it.

It now has a king pin high pinion 60 from an 89 F-350 up front, and a FF 10.25 LS 3.55 sitting behind it ready to go under it. About 3 weeks ago I bought another 60/10.25 combo with 4.10s and a LS rear for $300 so now I'm putting those under this truck and the 3.55s are going under my dad's 84 F-250 7.3 truck (and yes I said 7.3. It was a 6.9 but now has an IDI 7.3 in it).

Now that I'm going with the Cummins I'll run 35s with the 4.10s. I also had a set of 37" Goodyear military tires on aluminum wheels with better than 50% tread given to me so I'm going to run them until they wear out, then go back to the 16" aluminums and buy some 35s.

The Cummins shows up at my house out of an F-800 so now I'm in search of a Fuller FSO transmission. I already have a divorced Ford NP-205 to go behind it.

I'll update more tomorrow with some pics of what progress I've made so far.

Here's a list of money spent:

Truck-$1000 (after I sold what I didnt need.
Dana 60/Sterling 10.25-$300
5.9 P pump Cummins-$0
NP-205-$0

Where the hell did you find a 60/10.25 combo for 300 bucks?

PICS!!!!!! I have a soft spot for these older 3/4- 1 ton fords.

Working on the pics. Yeah me too. I want to build a crew cab srw Cummins if I can ever find a crew cab thats not swiss cheese.

Is it blue? I used to have an 85 f250 named Herman.

Sounds like a sweet build! Where are the pics!?!

Its faded red/surface rust two tone right now. I'm gonna paint it hot rod flatz flat metallic dark gray.

Where the hell did you find a 60/10.25 combo for 300 bucks?

I was in the right place at the right time. One of those "I'll be right back with a trailer" moments.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I need to find that right place and right time. Going to be a stock 5.9?

Haha no way. Im still in the scheming phase on it. Its got a stock HX-35 and I have a turbo off a big volvo sitting next to it. Considering making a custom twin setup but I havent checked the numbers on the big turbo yet to see if the 35 will light it. I'll be towing pretty heavy with it so I'm probably going to need the twins to keep it cool.

Last edited:
With Dana 44 front:
uploadfromtaptalk1352778299872.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1352778356009.jpg

After Dana 60 swap and some wax. I got a wild hair at work one day and waxed half the paint that was left off of it. The 60 swap lifted it about 2.5 inches. I put the F-350 springs up front. Still have to put the FF and F-350 blocks in the rear.
uploadfromtaptalk1352778424282.jpg

Looks good, is that a custom 4 lug Dana 60 :D is that a Dana 60 sf rear?

Edit: nvm just saw you said it was a sf 10.25 didn't even know they made those.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

Looks good, is that a custom 4 lug Dana 60 :D is that a Dana 60 sf rear?

Edit: nvm just saw you said it was a sf 10.25 didn't even know they made those.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

Haha yeah it's a 4 lug for now. I can't do anything but pull it out of my carport and back in or I'll rip the fender off of it right now. Yeah it was a light duty 250. I didn't know they made a SF 10.25 either but they definitely did. I need to get rid of it. Definitely ain't worth anything to me.

How about you put the 6.7 in yours and sell me the 5.9 :D
I need a 12 valve to put in my 82 suburban. I got cash!!!!!! :driver:

Those mud grapplers look a lil familiar to me....good looking build so far Adam!

I'm very happy to say that I finally found the transmission I've been looking everywhere for! The build continues. Picked up an Eaton FS-6406A with hydraulic clutch and a drum parking brake for $1250 shipped to me with 101k miles. Also found a brand new set of Powerstroke front 4" springs and rear add a leaf for $150. Next is radiator, clutch, injectors, motor mounts, and a starter and I'll have it running.

I'm finally back on this project. Pulled the plug on the 12 valve swap and sold it. Decided to leave the 300 in it. Wanted to get rid of the Carter YF so I looked for a Weber kit that was made to replace it. Found one for a 258 Jeep that is a direct bolt swap for the 300. Now it has a 32/36 carb, 78 model vac advance distributor, and fuel injected manifolds. Finally got my axle swap complete yesterday. Put a 10.25 FF 4.10 LS in the rear and a ball joint 60 in the front. 4 inch springs in the front and 5 inch procomp springs in the rear. Did a Barnes rear disc kit and got rid of the load sensing valve.
15c2989346cabb7bbadfefe990fe4246.jpg

Back