84 Toyota "Old Red"

dark knight

Bought it on my birthday, Aug 22. I was born in 84 also so I though it was fitting too get a truck the same age as me.
awww.tacomaworld.com_gallery_data_500_medium_liveBg1Znn.jpg

When I brought it home it had brake problems and was running like crap. I also needed to rebuild the front axle.
by week 3 of ownership I figured out the pin on the brake booster that goes into the M/C needed adjusting. It was too long and didnt allow the M/C to fully rest causing the pads to drag, heat up, and lock up. adjusted it back a little over 1/8th inch and the brakes work like a dream.
To fix the misfire a new set of plug wires were in order and I mounted them properly without having them laying all over the exhaust manifold cooking themselves.
awww.tacomaworld.com_gallery_data_500_medium_liveRsIRci.jpg

The axle rebuild went pretty smooth for my first time doing it. so far everything is running great!
liveZK22tJ.jpg

wish i had done the backing plate eliminators at this point!!!
awww.tacomaworld.com_gallery_data_500_medium_liveFpCM0f.jpg

I also scored a new set of WARN premium hubs for free so I changed out the Aisin's because the previous owner did not install everything correctly when he was in ther and the hub gear was thrashed on the passenger side:rolleyes:
This past weekend all fluids got changed and the tranny is shifting much better....
livecWoFWR.jpg

I have a top shift t-case on the way for a dual set up. Also some random interior parts.

Future plans are
1. dual cases in
2. aussie locker F/R with 4.88's
3. 4" lift w/ high steer
4. 35" km2
5. front bumper w/ winch
6. rear bumper

I have not figured out the direction I want to go with the lift (RUF's or allpro front).
Overall I'm wanting to go the most economical direction with the lowest possible lift and run 35's all while being streetable.

Ya'll got Ideas of where to go from here?

Go back to the Aisin hubs. They're stronger than those free warns. Other than that, wheel it and see what you want from there! Good looking truck!

Just so you know, the stock hubs are about 3 times stronger than the Warn hubs on a Toyota. The Warns will keep you from breaking other parts though, because they will break first. There are pros and cons to everything I guess.

Clean looking 84 though. Nice truck.

x3 on the factory hubs. Order a set of the chromoly hub gears from Longfield to replace your fubared factory hub gear. The chromolys will come in handy when you order your 30 spline super set...also from Longfield.

I speak this from experiance. I ran the Warn hubs when I first did my SAS, thinking they would be better. I can't really speak for the strength because I never broke one but they did cause me to shear off all but one of the hub studds. The Warns' do not use the factory cone washers and loosen almost as soon as you tighten them. This is what causes them to shear the hub studs off. They can also be a pain in the ass requiring almost a full turn of selector to engage. That's why Warn actually sales a plastic hand held tool to aid in engaging the hubs. The Aisin hubs only require a quarter turn to engage.

No bashing on your rig here. Just trying to save you heart ache down the road. Drilling those hub studds out is a real treat.

Thanks for the info guys.... I was kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place when I was in the middle of the axle rebuild, so I ended up with the WARN hubs. I'm going to look immediately for the longfield hub gears, I would much rather have the Aisins. Guess now I've got a back-up set :)

RUFs with 2 leaves added and 63 chevys on 37x12.50s with no trimming. I wouldn't like the rears in the front for hard wheeling though, too much axle wrap. If I put 31s back on it it sits about 3" higher than factory if that.

attachment.php

More pics.

I would be glad to help ya wit yo project anytime.:driver:
man that would be great! :Stoked:
RUFs with 2 leaves added and 63 chevys on 37x12.50s with no trimming. I wouldn't like the rears in the front for hard wheeling though, too much axle wrap. If I put 31s back on it it sits about 3" higher than factory if that.
attachment.php

More pics.
nice dude I think I'm going to get 44044 waggys, use them with my rear main. Or do skyjacker 2" rear lift springs in front... still on the fence about it.. :burnout:

Did some light wheelin this weekend... ran like a bearcat, I was stoked with the stock performance. It will be great when the build is finished.

:lol: similar... ya know who this is right Daniel? lol i just replied to you on tacomaworld also. I dont know about intense but will be a different beast when done. the random parts sitting in my garage are killing me, I just want it done.

I think he came up with some of his own...speaking of though I found an awesome brush guard for my truck though and a spot for two lights...What would be the nicest, yet cheapest lights you suggest for the brush guard?

You cant go wrong with the PIAA 520 series. It is the same thing we gave to the winner at Rock'vember. I really like the extreme white ATP light pattern, PIAA PN 5296.

Wow if I got those they'd have to be given to me as well...lol...those things are expensive...I figured I'd be looking atleast around $200 for a decent set of offroad lights though...

Getting close to being able to build. I have most of the big parts except 5.29's and Aussie lockers. Lots of small nicknacks and mounting hardware yet to buy. Marlin heavy duty 1200lbs clutch is on order. I need to grab a t-case cross member mount and Budbuilt cross member and I'll be ready to install the dual cases.
ai537.photobucket.com_albums_ff335_jbstaco_IMG_1590.jpg_7a4080c2df0089ddd58cdff0cd770860.jpg

liveFITtFm.jpg

ai537.photobucket.com_albums_ff335_jbstaco_IMG_1584.jpg_913d4ae1b2b90e00651eeb3f6783ef26.jpg

ai537.photobucket.com_albums_ff335_jbstaco_IMG_1585.jpg_09c27b7ad99cbf604e4d4bba58750939.jpg

ai537.photobucket.com_albums_ff335_jbstaco_IMG_1586.jpg_100c54f092bfc5472a6b22eec641dd25.jpg

ai537.photobucket.com_albums_ff335_jbstaco_IMG_1587.jpg_bad1738c4009e56d491b284251e3a582.jpg

ai537.photobucket.com_albums_ff335_jbstaco_IMG_1588.jpg_ab78573181202b97827e7564d92a2e7e.jpg

be sure you have a plan for driveshafts. the rear has to be shorter than stock.(i had to run a cv joint cause the angle) the front will have to be longer. just a heads up. gonna be a nice build

Front will be a square driveshaft. Rear will be made at the driveshaft shop within walking distance to my house (lucky). Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone familiar with the amount of trimming need to fit 35's with RUF (mixed pack of my 84's and a set of 88's) and 63" chevy's in the rear? Or, am I dreaming?

Front will be a square driveshaft. Rear will be made at the driveshaft shop within walking distance to my house (lucky). Thanks for the heads up.
Anyone familiar with the amount of trimming need to fit 35's with RUF (mixed pack of my 84's and a set of 88's) and 63" chevy's in the rear? Or, am I dreaming?
im not sure on your year but i think ruf moves the axle forward . you might not have to trim.someone on here probly knows

Back