'84 Ho-runna biuld

PWR4HIM

'84 Ho-runna build

Well I guess its normal to make build thread as you go along, but this build has taken about four years to date (the past two of which the truck has been wheel able, just not complete) and now that its somewhat complete (its never complete) I thought I would at least take the time to post up some pics along the way. That combined with being horribly slow at work gives me the free time to post all the pics.
It all started in Nov. 05 when I took my brand spankin new TRD taco to URE with only 2800 miles on it. After a few trips I knew I needed something else that I wouldn't care about scratching up. So I found this '84 4runner that a friend had sitting in a cow field in Lenior, NC after they had lost interest in making it their own project. I bought it and it has come a LOONNGG way from its beginning.
This is what it looked like when the guy I bought it from bought it, before he started the project that left it in the condition I found it. OLD SCHOOL toyota style, Still push pull steering and a block lift in the rear.
ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_runna2.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_runna3.jpg

This is EXACTLY the way it was when I found it.
ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0032.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0033.jpg
How you like them u bolts? nice huh
ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0035.jpg

It was completely stripped, I got the interior as part of the deal just that it was at a different location in a garage. The motor and drive train other than axles were not included.
More pics to come

The first day of work, we cleaned out all the junk, wire wheeled the whole inside for the spray in bed liner, primed the truck for painting the next time, welded on the front diff armor and truss, and cut off a bunch of useless crap.

Have to give a big thanks to justin b/c I lived in an apartment in Winston at the time and he let me keep the truck there and come work on it on the weekends.

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0229.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0233.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0240.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0250.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0257.jpg

hahha thats back when I still had a little bit of hair

Painted it with Rustoleum safety red, cut off the front factory spring hangers and welded on a new front hanger, mounted some 4" front springs, shackles, rebuilt the complete front axle with an open diff, new yukon 5.29's, a T100 master cylinder and put some cheap used 35" mud rovers on. Already looked much different from the first field pictures.

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0287.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0290.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0292.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0456.jpg

It has tons under it now...I think

Well before the next stage could be completed the truck had to be moved from lenoir to germantown. The space was needed at Justin's house so me still in an apartment took it to a friends house that I worked with who had the room to keep it until it could run. At this location the truck gained some more goodies.

-Shock hoops and 12" bilstiens
-Tacoma front calipers and vented rotors and braided lines
-IFS rear axle with 5.29's and a lock right
-TG 5" rear lift with Sky man. inverted shock mount and bilstiens
-Complete wiring harness from an 85 EFI truck, EFI fuel tank and an '87 22RE that I rebuilt prior to putting it in.
-And lots of little things like seats, grill, lights, etc.

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0483.jpg
Its second home
ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0484.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0485.jpg
Shocks upside down here, i flipped them later
ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0544.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0722.jpg

Wheeling pictures are up next and its latest editions

Well these are the first pictures of it after it was running on its own power. And a few of wheeling. The next major additions were adding a 4.7 single case about 6 months after I got it running and fixing the big holes in the rear 1/4 panels from cutting the rust out. After the first wheeling trip I added the rock sliders made by tacoma747. I like the hood emblem

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0947.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0946.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_SNV30294_1.jpg
4.7 case in, sliders and the fenders fixed
ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_SNV30349.jpg

Nice 4Runner! I hope you have more pictures to share. I like this post-build thread thing. No waiting for months or years to see it get finished.

Side-question... who was driving that XJ in front of you? I'ld like to hear more about that one too.

Well I got some more 4runner pics coming with the next additions I made, but I gotta upload some more pics. In the mean time, that XJ used to look like this. I don't know the guy, just happen to have been wheeling with him this once. The pics of it with my 4runner on kodak rock was after he sold it to someone. All I know is that is that it is a ford 8.8 rear and a D44 front, auto trans, stock t-case, F&R lockers, and 37's. Well I dont want to high jack my own thread so I'll stop talking about that and get some more of my own pics up.

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_1156.jpg

The next up was a Marlin Crawler rear bumper (that I'm proud of b/c I got it as a Christmas special shipped to my house for $208 bucks) You can't build one for that price.
I removed the short super stiff bottom most leaf on the rear springs to help them flex a bit better
And after bending my tie rod into a V on a previous trip I installed High steer and an IFS box.
ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC00638.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC00625.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC00646.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_0614081021.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_0614081207.jpg

After this it sat over another winter and gain some more armor, tires, wheels, and axles

Well I got some more 4runner pics coming with the next additions I made, but I gotta upload some more pics. In the mean time, that XJ used to look like this. I don't know the guy, just happen to have been wheeling with him this once. The pics of it with my 4runner on kodak rock was after he sold it to someone. All I know is that is that it is a ford 8.8 rear and a D44 front, auto trans, stock t-case, F&R lockers, and 37's. Well I dont want to high jack my own thread so I'll stop talking about that and get some more of my own pics up.
it was an isuzu rear not a 8.8 chris aka uncccilvialenginer (SP) built it..He sold it to a buddy of mine and then it went to me. We ran no hatch and then a junkyard hatch, so the sticker hatch should be him as its still in my scrap pile from where he crinkled it at dpg.

Nice looking runner..:beer:

I believe I still owned it then.. I can tell because it still has the original hatch :flipoff2: The rock under the muddy water here helped make it not close anymore...

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_DPG_144jpg.jpg

No more hi-jacking... for the guy w/ the question about it just PM me if you want to know something... Most of the info's on NAXJA or here just search my user name.

good looking runner. way to go on bringing it back from the dead!

Over this past winter the truck has gained some more. These will be the last pics I have until I do something else to the truck.

-Marlin crawler front bumper
-4" TG front springs (Didn't really like the old ones on the truck, they had been on it since I bought it. The TG ones flex better)
-4340 birfields (only got one side in for now, until I get time to do the other) Still open diff up front though. I'm replacing the inner axle seals with the install also.
-Full Width D60 rear, lock right, 5.38's, 30 spline yukon shafts, disc brake conversion, diff cover, and truss. It came out of a jeep TJ and thus was set up for a 4 link. I have left all the link stuff on it for future use when I get around to it. I cut the spring buckets off and use a Datin fab kit swap it in. It let me gain 1" of wheel base, and then the front springs gave me 1.5" also.
-Hummer 12 bolt H1's in the rear with inner double bead locks. They havent been recentered yet so the stock offset ate up all the extra width from the full width axle. But it worked out good for the time being b/c it matches well with the stock yota front.
-Some new cheapy 16.5 steelies up front
-Brand spankin 36x12.5 TSL's
-newest edition is three 55W rock lights. Two up front in the bumper and one mounted on the budbuilt crossmember facing back.
-120Amp alternator and Optima yellow top

I am really happy with the truck now. It will be a while before I can fork out the money for the front D60 swap. I have two more H1's for the front when the time comes.
I don't have a tow rig so this truck still gets driven to the trails, so a tow rig first, D60 with 5.38's and an OX locker will come after the tow rig then get the H1's recentered and 39.5's once the 36's wear out. Thats pretty much the plan for the truck. I'm sure a roll cage and front winch will fit in there somewhere. Who knows about a 4 link rear, probably one day.

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC01133.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC01134.jpg
Notice no rock lights and the old front springs in these two pics, and the rather leaky left front inner axle seal.
ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC01434.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC01423.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC01139.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC01135.jpg

There are some before and after pics flexing on the same rock.

The first pics are the very first time I took it wheeling and the last ones are the most recent time I went. Unfortunately with no tow rig, URE is the only place I get to go.

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0959_1.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_100_0957_1.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC01425.jpg

ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h125_PWR4HIM_DSC01427.jpg

Thats Lincoln's old Cke in my "back yard"!

Back