8274?

For reference, here is the 8274 parts list (pre-1998 models, generally speaking), the 8274-50 parts list, and the Warn troubleshooting guide for the 8274.

As far as I know, the only significant difference between the 8274 and the 8274-50 are the controller style and the motor output. The -50s all got the 4.6hp motor that was shared with the HS9500 (and others). That motor (and even the 6hp later motor) are swappable to older winches, but you may need the matching motor spur gear if your old motor doesn't have the correct splined shaft.

Attachments

• Warn 8274 Parts List.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 812
  • Warn 8274-50 Parts List.pdf
    175.1 KB · Views: 726
  • M8274_Service_Manual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,396
Napa #st402. Looks like a ford starter solenoid but is continuous duty used as a dual battery isolator. I'm using one inline on my truck, dad's bronco, and a friends truck to kill power to the winch when not in use or if the solenoids stick.

There's also something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst..._sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=181KHA4N0D4NX087F2FJ

Rated to 350A continuous and 600A intermittent.

Has anybody found a US source for the Albright contactors? They look an *awful* lot like the Warn ones (ahem), and should be a fair bit cheaper. At £61/ea, importing them from the UK via Gigglepin isn't a terrible idea, either.

Them Mud dudes are pretty dang serious about some tech and part numbers. This is good info as I want to equip my pile with 8724 one day soon and move my Smitty to the rear.

I just saw on FB that someone in the US is a gigglepin dealer and has the contactors in stock. Can't remember who it was...

I just saw on FB that someone in the US is a gigglepin dealer and has the contactors in stock. Can't remember who it was...

Cool story, bro.

I think @OnlyOneDR is right - the Superwinch ones are made by Albright. Certainly makes sense at that price point.

Cool story, bro.

I think @OnlyOneDR is right - the Superwinch ones are made by Albright. Certainly makes sense at that price point.

They are either made by them or a really close knock-off. Albright below, Superwinch below that. Superwinch is based in the UK, same as Curtis/Albright:

awww.tecknowledgey.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_small_ima0cd6df4a9c2ae6d3273f4d3fadc12310.jpg

awww.expeditionexchange.com_superwinch_superwinch004_20004.jpg

well i guess its time that I finally start on my 8274 project. I am going to remove the factory plastic box and remote mount a contactor under the hood. I got all the motivation I need now!

The connector is a circular MIL-spec Amphenol connector. The pictures are "representative" off of Mouser's website, not the actual connectors.

Male Connector for Remote:

View attachment 176356

Mouser Part #:
654-MS3106E18-4P
Manufacturer Part #:
MS3106E18-4P

Description: Circular MIL Spec Connector 4P #16 PIN CONTACTS

Female Connector:

View attachment 176357

Mouser #: 654-MS3102E18-4S

Mfr. #: MS3102E18-4S
Desc.: Circular MIL Spec Connector4P #16 SKT CONTACTS

Screw Cover:
View attachment 176358
Mouser #: 654-APHMS25043-18DA

Mfr. #: MS2504318DA
Desc.: Circular MIL Spec Tools, Hardware & Accessories

I found similar connectors on McMaster (that don't have a 14 week lead time), but haven't been able to find the screw cover that matches... Yet.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bayonet-style-connectors/=vf502c

Edit: Found it - http://www.mcmaster.com/#mil.-spec.-pin-and-socket-connectors/=vf54k2

I found similar connectors on McMaster (that don't have a 14 week lead time), but haven't been able to find the screw cover that matches... Yet.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bayonet-style-connectors/=vf502c

Edit: Found it - http://www.mcmaster.com/#mil.-spec.-pin-and-socket-connectors/=vf54k2

Yeah, those are nice since they are quick connect. They are actually the same brand, I see the Amphenol part numbers on their page. That is even better than what I have.

I did have to wait a bit on the covers for mine (I think around 4 or 5 weeks) but the connectors showed up fairly quickly. I was not in a hurry.

If you look at the second link, the connectors that have covers are not the quick connect style, but the threaded style. Personally I would sacrifice quick connect to have the covers.

You can get covers for the quick connect style, look up "amphenol MS protection cap" in a Google image search and you will find some. I will say that the catalogs are annoyingly vague for some things and this is one of them. You can always call/email Amp and get them to tell you some part numbers.

Just ordered the Gigglepin contactor from Custom Splice. It may be the same as the others but I don't know. Found a few knock off Albrights for ~$70 shipped. Figured I really didn't want to take the chance on the knock offs.

I'm going through the same build right now. I ended up using a Warn 83664 9.5 XP-S Contactor Pack which is sealed. It works with the same winch remote that all Warn (non-powerplant) winches come with. Comes with a 6 foot power cable already attached, so I'm just going to use that for now instead of the welding cable.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 744
I recently bought a Warn 60808 9.5XP 6HP motor for my front 8274.

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee179_trustonlyme_Frontier_20Project_0DSC06390.jpg

Installation basically requires swapping out the motor. Lucky for me my 8274 was new enough to have a splined motor shaft instead of a keyed shaft so it did not require additional parts.

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee179_trustonlyme_Frontier_20Project_0DSC06675.jpg

It required making a curved spacer to prop up the left side of the control box and getting new bigger hose clamps to wrap around the motor. The end cap on the 9.5XP motor has a large heat sink cast into it so it makes the control box stick out about 3/8". This also necessitated re-arranging the power wires to the motor and making one new one so it would reach.

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee179_trustonlyme_Frontier_20Project_0DSC06676.jpg

After using it a couple times I can report that it is not really any faster but does pull stronger than before.

Last edited:
Back