78 work truck

fordwheelinman

This truck was purchased brand new, special ordered in May of 1978 by my father, from a dealership that is no longer in existence. It is a square headlight 78, with the 400ci V8, C6, NP205 part time case, with the original 44/9 combo, camper special, with dual fuel ranks. It originally had the full "race track" trim, like the bed has, but it was removed years ago and is long gone. The original bed was rotted terribly and replaced with this one. The original door are gone too, they had the three point fold out tow mirrors. Once I've got the thing running again, progress will be close to this order:

First operation is to return the bed to its original truck (79 factory big block a/c truck).

Second is to repair some frame damage sustained back before my father sold it, so sometime before 91ish, and that's 1991 for you younger folks.

Third will be a home paint job. Either gonna be some rattle cans, or a test at mixing and spraying real paint.

Fourth will be mounting the utility body that I just picked up. It needs some work done, but that will take place in between all the other operations. Hope to use some bed liner on the inside of the bed, but I need to get drawers and tool storage figured out before I do anything paint wise so that all drilling/welding will not mess up any paint.

Running and driving items like brakes, lights, and the like will be done will all the major operations are taking place as money will need to be saved for and proceed as money allows. It will be getting mud tires so it can be used off the road. Still looking for a gas powered compressor. Would love to have a welder/generator, but I'm not sure money or space/weight will allow for that. Lots of things to come, also trying to figure out my Galaxie project during this too, so we will see how they both progress.
15170ac30a021abbdd876acc56cbfdf2.jpg
0b541f17b4e32316613444d12b042934.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Not really an update on anything, other than I got to tell my wife "See, told you so". She has questioned me doing this, and I just got a phone call that her sister's car is in their driveway with a flat tire. So I said "Ya know dear, if I had my truck fixed up, I'd come down there and take care if this no problem." To which she responded, "Well then get your truck fixed up". I think I just got a blanket ok for anything inwant to do, but probably not...

On a side note, my oldest boy, at 6 yrs old, heard the leak, told them it was leaking. Way to go kid!

Bed is for sale $600. Willing to take offers on the truck. I really hate that life has come to this point, but I hate seeing the truck sit and not be used. Really hoped to rude my kids in it, like my dad rode us around, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Package deal possible for bed and truck.

Also, bed on the truck in pictures does not go with the truck. It belongs on another truck that will be for sale shortly. I have the original bed, and another bed that will go with this truck.

Last edited:
Back