78/79 60 or 05+ super duty 60

I'm a fan of the 05+ SD 60s. I have a small collection of them myself. Just pointing out a couple things to consider.
Don't take my posts as old school being "better" than new school or anything like that.

Lots of trimming to do on the SD axle but for the cost it's a no brainer.

Hell with a plasma cutter you can probably clean that thing off in four or five hours. I did mine with with a angle grinder, a portaband, and a sawzall in two afternoons of work :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell with a plasma cutter you can probably clean that thing off in four or five hours. I did mine with with a angle grinder, a portaband, and a sawzall in two afternoons of work :D

Yea I think with a plasma cutter and portaband…..it would be pretty quick. I used a torch, grinder, and sawzaw

is this a real question?? lol JK. yeh there is no comparison. 05+ with 1550 shafts, artec weld on steering arms, ecgs slugs, artec link mounts, riffraff hub zerks, diff cover of choice, steering rams of choice, maybe BJ eliminators.

edit: I will say this....the steering is sick. Requires a 10" ram. that said you have to build around that steering angle....Like if I were to add one to my truggy (chevy dana60) I would have to redo my links. The tires would be into the links soo bad. The 2005+ axles steer that much....

is this a real question?? lol JK. yeh there is no comparison. 05+ with 1550 shafts, artec weld on steering arms, ecgs slugs, artec link mounts, riffraff hub zerks, diff cover of choice, steering rams of choice, maybe BJ eliminators.

edit: I will say this....the steering is sick. Requires a 10" ram. that said you have to build around that steering angle....Like if I were to add one to my truggy (chevy dana60) I would have to redo my links. The tires would be into the links soo bad. The 2005+ axles steer that much....
That’s true. I feel like there is no room to mount a lower link on these that will clear the tires with the steering angle.
Link mounts are already set cause of the chassis I am using.

That’s true. I feel like there is no room to mount a lower link on these that will clear the tires with the steering angle.
Link mounts are already set cause of the chassis I am using.

Could you run a slight bend to help clear the tire at full turn, and it not mess up suspension geometry? This would probably require you tack weld the hiems to prevent the link from rolling, which has its own inherent problems.

Could you run a slight bend to help clear the tire at full turn, and it not mess up suspension geometry? This would probably require you tack weld the hiems to prevent the link from rolling, which has its own inherent problems.
I want aluminum lowers.

Anyone have any ideas for moving the lower link mounts towards the center on the super duty axles. I feel like my tires are going to rub my lower link bars.

Anyone have any ideas for moving the lower link mounts towards the center on the super duty axles. I feel like my tires are going to rub my lower link bars.

Can you triangulate your lower links frame brackets? I cut like 3 inches of center section casting off of the tube. Basically what artec recommends for their conversion trusses. Just enough room to drop in a link bracket in between the C and pumpkin.

Triangulated lowers and stock ford steelies I won’t have any link clearance issues. These are wide axles to begin with.

Correction. More like 1.5 inch cut.

bcf76766e95555e370ba3ac9fd128ed0.jpg

You could try to locally notch out the casting where you want to put your link mount?

Can you triangulate your lower links frame brackets? I cut like 3 inches of center section casting off of the tube. Basically what artec recommends for their conversion trusses. Just enough room to drop in a link bracket in between the C and pumpkin.

Triangulated lowers and stock ford steelies I won’t have any link clearance issues. These are wide axles to begin with.

Using a goat built chassis and subframe so there is no moving the frame side

Yeah, use a 77-79 :flipoff2:
This was my idea. Just to notch out the bottom to move the link mounts in and reweld the housing to the axle tube. That way you don't remove too much housing and weaken the axle.
Correction. More like 1.5 inch cut.

bcf76766e95555e370ba3ac9fd128ed0.jpg

You could try to locally notch out the casting where you want to put your link mount?

This is what I was thinking but it’s a lot of work.
This is an old dodge axle I saw on FB

C4762AA4-ECE4-4717-B6BC-BE0696A532F0.jpeg

I think you're over thinking it, moving the link mount inward on the axle only marginally increases your tire clearance. The frame side is where you get the clearance at, and by looking at the Goat built sub-frame they've got them moved in pretty damn far. Plus with as much web-wheeling I've done I don't really remember seeing it being an issue.

@Bebop and Tim did something simular with a 14 bolt. They plated the housing and mounted the link on the housing.

IMG-7701.jpg

This is a 99-04 axle, but I was thinking more like this.....

20151014_185329.jpg

20151018_190443.jpg
I guess I could just weld to the housing. That’s what a buddy did. Saw him at gulches yesterday.
His tires still rub.
F291C035-1B52-4D2C-BDBE-F973D188A9AC.jpeg

What size tires is he on? I could see 40"+ tires rubbing any sort of link set up for a SD60
40 treps which measure like 38
I’ll be on 43’s lol...

So why not like a 5 degree bend in the lower links for a little more tire clearance? You think you’ll beat on it hard enough to finish bending them? This is something I’ve considered for the front Lowers on my JK, which I don’t see myself hill killing with it. If it’s bad idea, y’all can just tell me I’m stupid.

So why not like a 5 degree bend in the lower links for a little more tire clearance? You think you’ll beat on it hard enough to finish bending them? This is something I’ve considered for the front Lowers on my JK, which I don’t see myself hill killing with it. If it’s bad idea, y’all can just tell me I’m stupid.

Because he wants to be fancy and run aluminum lowers.

David if you have some time with a tape measure I can toss the stuff into cad to see if it would clear. or I could swing by next week with the laptop.

Back