$75 12k winches, J&R Salvage (Mamers)

kaiser715

Doing hard time
J&R Salvage in Mamers (between Sanford and Lillington) has a bunch of take-off Humvee winches, 24v, most w/o cable. They are only $75.00 each.

I bought one yesterday for my car trailer, works perfect. I'm gonna use 2 batteries in series, most winching it'll get at one time is maybe 30'.

He buys a lot of residue from govliq for recycling, some interesting stuff if you got time to browse.

He's there after 4 or 5 during the week, and on weekends.

J&R Salvage Ronald Schall 498-5076

easiet to call him for directions and be sure he'll be there.

Basically, go down 421 S from Sanford, bear right when you get to Mamers (there's a sign). Thomas Farm Supply will be on your right. Shortly after, Thomas Farm road bears off to the right, and he's just a couple minutes down that road.

Can't see his place from the paved road, though.

Dunno. I saw about 8 or 10 of them. One here and there, some on a pallet. All outside.

I bought it untested, as didn't have time to mess with it there. He said no problem if I needed to come pull solenoids, etc off of another one.

Only functional problem I see with mine is that the cable end is broken where it attaches to the drum (looks like at some point, it got pulled w/o enough cable on the drum and ripped the soft eye in half on the tail end of the cable). Nothing to fix.

BTW most all of them are w/o cable. I'm gonna get my cable off and see how long it is, and probably only keep about 35-50' on the winch for the trailer. I'll post up whatever cable is left on the board here. He has some winch chains and rat hooks too, so if you want to pick one of them up cheap, you'll have a hook.

He also has a few of the newer truck winches (whatever it is that replaced the M35). They are mounted midway the frame and can winch front or rear (and they've had problems with bent frames from them). The are a tall narrow drum, hydraulic with 24v soleniod hydraulic valve.

How about an area code?

I think this is pretty much cash and carry place. Don't think he does cards. 99% of what he does is haul it in, split it up, and sell the scrap metal from the stuff. Not so much a mil surplus place as it is a recycler that happens to buy his stuff at Bragg.

here's a pic of mine, as is

aimg223.imageshack.us_img223_7252_warnwinchvi8.jpg

BTW, I have one of these that I got awhile back with a bad motor, Triangle Alternators and starters rebuilt it with a new 12volt motor/solenoids and remote for $300. It is basicly the same winch as an m12000

It is basicly the same winch as an m12000

... in that they're both rated at 12000#. The similarities kinda end there.

The mil-spec winches are narrower, have smaller drums. They have thermal protection switches, overload interrupts, and a disc brake.

They've got more in common with the Series 12 industrial winches. Definitely not a bad deal for the price, though.

If they are from a hmmwv, then they are actually a 6k winch! Some part numbers cross reference with the 12k and 15k winches, but these winches are 'de-rated for continuous use'. In that they know soldiers will abuse the shit out of them, so, it can pull 6k continuously without overheating. I've got three of them, and you can get a 12V replacement motor from warn. WELL worth $75. even if you buy new cable, solenoids and motor, at retail cost, you're only halfway to the cost of a new m12000

from an email with warm customer service last year:
Based on the motor information you provided I am assuming you have our old Mil 6000. You can convert this to 12 volt by purchasing a new motor 26629 & new control pack & remote 38844.

Did you get any prices on those part numbers? I was thinking of converting one to 12v. So what you are saying is they are 6k winches? Thanks for the info. I went up there this morning/afternoon (lunchtime). The guys were really nice and let us browse around and dig through the bins. I will head back up soon to get a few things.

Did you see any hydraulic stuff, gmcjimmy?

We didn't have time to browse when I went, but he said there were some conveyors with hydro stuff.

I'm scrounging a few hyd. motors for my next uber-project.

He said he's typically on the road during the week, running truck to pick up stuff or hauling it off to the recyclers after splitting it up. Usually there after 4 or 5 pm.

Did you get any prices on those part numbers? I was thinking of converting one to 12v. So what you are saying is they are 6k winches? Thanks for the info. I went up there this morning/afternoon (lunchtime). The guys were really nice and let us browse around and dig through the bins. I will head back up soon to get a few things.

Enter those numbers in ebay, and there are motors from 75-150 regularly 12v. No, they are a 12k winch, but they can do 6000 at 100% duty cycle, without burning up.

Back