482,000 and it finally let go

BIGWOODY

After owning several Powerstroke trucks and getting scared of them around the 200k mark, A buddy of mine who owns a towing company talked me into buying a 93 , 7.3 idi ford diesel. He owns several rollbacks and wreckers all with PSDs and one (a 91) with a 7.3 idi motor. I asked him if he wanted a crew cab truck what would he buy? We both agreed the Cummins trucks were nice but no crew cab was offered until later years (and it sure ain't much of one compared to the Ford). He told me he has yet to get more than 260k out of a PSD truck without motor replacement or major expense. his 91 model truck at the time had about 370k on it and he had never even replaced an injection pump. He rolled up the other day in that truck and told me it started using a gallon of oil a week (oil rings are gone)...said he didn't care, he was buying a long blovk for it and told me to take a look at the odometer just over 482,000. made me feel like I wouldn't live long enough to wear out mine with 140k on it..

That's impressive!

pssst! (based on your info, that's why I went with the '92 7.3L IDI) :D

Hope mine will fare the same! @ "barely broken" 176K miles, another 320K would be sweet! My plan to put no more than 5K should net me about... 64 more years! :eek:

My truck only has another 200k to go to match that.... Just turned 284k yesterday.

1997 CTD All stock, on second stock transmission (First one lasted 213k, pretty good I think)

Thats pretty cool though.

-Tim

BIGWHITE said:
Wrong answer....You could get a 7.3 idi from Ford with or without a turbo on it. There diferences are many. An IDI motor has mechanical injection, ie: injection pump and cheap ass injectors. The PSD has electronic injectors and direct injection (IDI stands for indirect injection). PSD injectors cost about $400 a piece from Ford or $230 (if you can find them)
for reman. Navistar injectors. In the stock form a PSD makes more boost and better power, by using a greater compressio ratio, more efficient and larger fuel delievery. The 7.3 IDI turbo is sorta a rare bird but can be found. The PSD is loader and more expensive to maintain, but will fly with the right aftermarket add ons. The IDI is more of an "old school" diesel with most parts being mechanical, not electronic. One last odd ball thing about the PSD , the injectors are under the valve covers and are regualted by oil pressure, with improper maintanence the causes for disaster are many.

just turned 225K on the PSD. running strong and only had to replace 1 injector about a month ago. Still going strong, even with a chip in it and toting a 13K lb truck everyday.

Rob

232k on the Mobytruck... diesel's are the shit...

Back