45 days and 45 nights, updated :)

There's a Walmart in Durango if you're going to Mesa Verde.

Mesa Verde is on the tentative list but not sure we will get there. I’d hate to miss it since I’m here.

In reality, we could spend a month in UT and still not see everything. So we had to pick and choose. Maybe we’ll get to Mesa Verde. I’ve heard a lot of good about it.

45 day road trip with the family and no coffee? Are you insane? Because you sound insane.

I spent a week on the AT once with a buddy. Knew he was going coffee-less for the first time ever (old Navy guy). Right after we got dropped off at Standing Indian for the week (in the winter), he threw his pipe and tobacco in the trash can. Great, a week with a guy quitting coffee and quitting smoking at the same time. Made good miles, though.

Today was an Arches NP day. Fiery Furnace is still closed, so we missed out on that. :( Boo.

but, we hit up Balanced Rock, Windows, all the typical Arches on the main road, etc. We decided to take the Jeep off road. Arches has a couple off road trails. They aren’t super hard but technical enough to need 4x4 and to turn on rear lockers. Part of this trail ride was to get to Tower Arch. Tower is a hidden gem that most don’t get to see as its far off the beaten path. I highly recommend Tower Arch for folks that have a vehicle capable to get there. Or, there is a 3.4 mile hike which is noted as difficult due to inclined and no shade. Or, choose the 4x4 trail and drive within 1/4 mile of the arch like we did. :D And, it was nice because we didn’t see anyone the whole few hours we were on the trail or at the Arch. Only did we encounter people was when we were heading back to the Jeep and to town for a dip in the pool and dinner before we watch fireworks coming from Lions Recreation Area.

AE40813F-F660-45F6-8AD2-DEAA89DD483A.jpeg
81780441-BB04-4F82-910B-6165AEFE4D00.jpeg

Balanced Rock
1685A739-DB7D-4EED-9CEE-8FDED2B99F20.jpeg
6B8C2D44-81BD-4C92-B0A7-AA4170CCCAA8.jpeg
49F30983-CA62-43BA-BD5D-8EDC208F770B.jpeg

Double Arches
8300FAC8-170F-4344-922B-30D3A497E666.jpeg
E4F560AC-749B-43F8-9BE5-6EF01C201206.jpeg

Trail riding to Tower Arch
08D9B016-8379-4C47-90AB-1856BF826417.jpeg

Tower Arch
047B34B7-3651-4FDB-AE0C-67DAA03D9D06.jpeg
5F24DBC2-4959-4406-8F23-0BBD8D1108A7.jpeg

This far in, are you glad you bothered with the bikes and bicycles and is hauling them worth the aggravation?

When we bought our Winnebago, we knew we'd be taking pretty much this same trip, so I'm paying attention and taking notes Maybe in the Fall of '21.

If you have another day in Moab, Delicate Arch is incredible at sunset and star gazing before hiking back down by headlamp.

Yeah we are considering at least doing stargazing in Arches. Not sure the kiddos are going to stand much more of a single hike past 1/2 mile without them throwing tantrums. They love climbing on rocks, they hate the hike. :lol:

This far in, are you glad you bothered with the bikes and bicycles and is hauling them worth the aggravation?

When we bought our Winnebago, we knew we'd be taking pretty much this same trip, so I'm paying attention and taking notes Maybe in the Fall of '21.

Yes, we are glad with the bikes and boats. We’ve already used them a ton, plus the kiddos love to ride them around the campgrounds.

and, we wouldn’t have used the kayaks and SUPs at all if it weren’t for the bikes. I’ve found put in and take out locations that are good 1/2 to 3/4 day trips on the river and only about 4-6 mile bike rides. So, having one vehicle to haul boats, put in and take out becomes a challenge. Ive been able to drop boats and kiddos/wife off at put in and take the Jeep to take out locations and ride the bike back and float the rivers. So having a bike for me has been a lifesaver.

Plus, the kiddos love to ride them even though their skinned knees say otherwise.

Walkers should have a coffee maker there in Moab but I have not been in there for a while. Not sure if it will be on the drug store or hardware store side , but I am pretty sure they have one. If not Redds in Blanding definitely has one as I put it there.If you go to Mesa Verde there is most anything you want in Durango which is a short drive from Mesa Verde.

Are you going to run Fins and Things? Your Jeep can handle that trail , and it is a great sampler of what the local trails have to offer. Hell's Revenge is right around the corner from it and your Jeep will handle the main trail and some of the optional lines as well . Just across from Potato salad hill is Mill Creek and the hike up to the waterfall is peppered with petroglyphs , flowering cactus and artifacts. There is a nice secure parking lot and the cold water will feel great on a hot day.

Milts has Killer food and is off the beaten path on the way to Sand Flats aka Hell's Revenge / Fins and Things. The Brewery is also solid , but the Branding Iron is on the South side of town and has great steaks . Get the fry bread the girls will love it , and most likely you will as well .

Mesa Verde is worth the drive. If you get over there early you can get tour tickets for $1.00 each and the Ranger will take small groups down the cliff face to the dwellings. It is Indiana Jones type stuff with 1000 year old toe holds cut into the rock. If you can ride a bike you have the motor skills required to make the climb. There are some modern ladders as well . It is amazing to get into the different rooms and alcoves to see them up close. I also really like Aztec New Mexico for their ruins as you self guide through them and my kids loved it there. Theres great tubing just East of where you turn to head down to Aztec as well .

If you want to see corn cobs and sandals still in place look up the River House/ Snake House. It is South of you and requires some four wheeling to get down to the San Juan River. You will most likely have it to yourself as it only visited occasionally by mostly rafters. Hovenweep is also just South of there and of course if you are that far South you have Monument Valley , The Goosenecks , Valley of the Gods and Muley Point which is hands down my favorite spot on this planet. So much to see and do just on the Eastern side of the state.

Not sure if it is mentioned , but I assume your going to hit Durango and run the Alpine loop? If so most of this is along the way. I have spent a couple of years out there and if not for family ties I would have moved there permanently long ago . Thanks for posting all the pictures , I am enjoying "your" trip as well .

We ended up bike riding about 5 miles of easy/moderate trails in the Bar M bike trail system. The girls really struggled on the trails at first but once they figured out the lines and how to read some of the trails and rocks, they did better and enjoyed it more. Left there to head back to RV and change into some bathing suits and hit Grandstaff Trail. That is probably our favorite trail so far. Fairly easy trail on rough terrain and beside a spring fed creek that you can cool off in practically anywhere. It’s 2 1/4 miles one way and dead ends at the spring and a 235’ natural bridge/arch. Peaceful and nice and cool break from the heat and the kids absolutely loved it.

all these pics are from the hike. Didn’t get any pics from bike riding. We passed on find and things today due to time. Will likely hit it tomorrow.

4D1CF160-2C93-4167-BD06-055F2F715263.jpeg
87DA6E70-80FD-4130-9C89-780F8BDA3358.jpeg
AE6604E4-A7B8-46DB-8DC3-3FBD5F21E095.jpeg
BBA93BBF-CA3C-44A9-905E-8F2E8C708EAB.jpeg
B47EBDFC-8123-4B79-9166-7494B4A7703E.jpeg
B24D817E-B8DF-45D2-9B92-4F19432694E1.jpeg
C45BBE5D-78BE-4DE6-8233-C514206AE9F0.jpeg
8438F80F-FDC8-455D-BCC7-0EFE7832BC55.jpeg
4875426B-D8A2-4E68-B8D0-F1549A25712F.jpeg

Mills Creek as someone mentioned before is well worth the short hike. Awesome waterfall and swimming hole for the kids.

Mills Creek as someone mentioned before is well worth the short hike. Awesome waterfall and swimming hole for the kids.

Short hike? Says it’s 7.5 miles round trip. That’s a little much for the kiddos unless there is a shorter option.

Edit: looks like the waterfall and swimming hole is 1.6 miles round trip, so doable with the kids.

I saw this on the list of hikes but dismissed it when I saw the mileage. Good to see the mileage is shorter to the waterfall.

Last edited:
Baby Lions Back is a super short fun 4x4 trail after dark.

So you mentioned Grandstaff Canyon and I recognized the pictures but not the name. So a little digging confirmed what I thought , they changed the name from Negro Bill Canyon to Grandstaff which was Negro Bills formal name aka William Grandstaff. Crazy world we live in . Anyways, if you liked the creek there you will love the waterfall / swimming hole on Mill Creek . It is a fast fun 1.6 miles up the creek with lots of neat stuff to see.

So you mentioned Grandstaff Canyon and I recognized the pictures but not the name. So a little digging confirmed what I thought , they changed the name from Negro Bill Canyon to Grandstaff which was Negro Bills formal name aka William Grandstaff. Crazy world we live in . Anyways, if you liked the creek there you will love the waterfall / swimming hole on Mill Creek . It is a fast fun 1.6 miles up the creek with lots of neat stuff to see.

yep. I guess I could have elaborated a little more. It used to be Negro Bill but I guess some found it offensive, so it changed to Grandstaff... :rolleyes:

I remember Bryce and Zion being some of my favorite parks I went to growing up. Can't wait to go back there again.

Bryce is small but the National forests around the park offer a ton of other cool things. Camping, fishing, boating, off roading, etc.

It’s crazy how you are in a nice lush pine forest and just right in the middle of it all are the vast hoodoos of Bryce. Just stunning.

Tomorrow morning we will hit up Tropic Reservoir to see if we can catch some trout for dinner. Nom nom nom. :D

Back