3rd Gen. 4Runner Straight Axle Swap

Kickdeez

Hey, I am new to the site, but joined because I am looking to make a big step toward getting my truck trail worthy, and could use some help.
I recently had a minor incident where I incurred some damage to the front end of my truck. While evaluating the things I would need to do to fix it, I began to think that there would be no better time to look into a straight axle swap then now.
Has anyone done a SAS on a 3rd generation 4Runner? If so, what axle options are out there? Are there any kits designed for a SAS? I really am not well versed in this process, as I have obviously never done this before. What all am I going to need to do to make this happen? Can anybody swag a number off the hip as to how much this may cost to do?
I realize this is a fairly broad and open ended subject, but I could really use some helpful advice.

check out yotatech.com there's a fewguys on there that's done it. I think all-pro.come sells the kit. I'm thinkin ull need like a waggoner axle or somethin like that. Cuz a stock toyota axle has the third on the opposite side of urs

Since you're in Charlotte, swing by the shop and I'll show you everything first hand on what to do. I'll see if I can get my buddies Taco for the day to point out the little things as well.

I'll definitely come by the shop sometime. I'm working out of town for the next few months, but will let you know when I get a chance to make my way back to Charlotte. Are you guys open at all on the weekends?

im doing my '96 tacoma right now, its very similar to the 4runner. check out my thread in the build section to see what you are up against
jon @ ecgs

I SASed mine

ai263.photobucket.com_albums_ii145_ami_kallie_022710114343.jpg

ai263.photobucket.com_albums_ii145_ami_kallie_032410170834.jpg

Im gathering parts for a sas on my 98 4runner. Waiting on my hummer wheel centers to come from cm performance machine, on backorder for over a month. Im using a dana 44 wagoneer axle, its close to the same width as the rear, also gonna keep the stock rear 8" non trd axle. Can also use a ford dana 44 but its like 4" wider or something like that and you have to switch to chevy outers for flat tops and 6 lug. Im using rear pickup springs up front and 63" chevy rears with 37" tires and hopefully stay pretty low.

Keep in mind im doing a cheaper build so no 4 link or anything like that. Im doing a dd and expedition wheeler more than straight crawler.

Gotta do something with the abs or the light will stay on. Marlin has the vss for a good price and just rewire the speedo and take the abs out completely. Now dual cases are fairly expensive. You can also look at switching to a passenger side drop axle and older transfer case.

Gotta do high steer to steer right so depending on what you want to use either a toyota ifs box or scout forward swing box. Plate the frame front and rear they are a little weak.

Check out hyperlites build I really like it. There are also a few on pirate4x4 that are good write ups. Also tacomas are pretty close so check out some builds on those. Good luck.

Back