360 in a YJ

lugnut

Whos done it and what motor mounts did you use ? Got any pics of the swap? Were there any problems?

Why in the world would you do want a 360 in a YJ? IMO, it's a underpowered, under-supported, unreliable boat anchor. Not trying to be a downer, but there are waaaaay better options for an engine.

A friend of mine did it, but he replaced everything, he did;
360 - built - very strong motor
T18 and D20
Dana 60 rear and HD 8 lug D44 front

He used the CJ mounts and a 1" flat plate on the passenger side frame if I remember right, it was over 5 years ago. (edit - maybe it was a 1" spacer on both sides using CJ mounts?)

360's are good motors built, if you put it in stock they are boat anchors. It just cost more than your standard chevy 350 conversion which is way cheaper to build. I'm assuming you're talking AMC 360 versus Dodge 360.

Contyact 89wrangler on this board, that's wht he is running.

I had a 360 in my Jeep. Done well for me for many years. Strong enough to break plenty of stuff, and also strong enough to pull many rigs out of the woods that were dead stick. Pulled Goliath once at Tellico, off the trail and all the way across trail 1.
Weak, denpends on what you are comparing it to,
Expensive to build, you betcha! But some Jeep people would rather stay as much AMC as they can.

Yeah I should have been more specific. I am talking AMC 360 and I think one is plenty strong in a baby Jeep. I know a 350 swap would be cheaper and I may still go that route but there is something to be said about keeping it in the family so to speak. Looking at the CJ frame and the YJ frame side by side the YJ is 2.5 inches wider in side the frame rails. The CJ pass side frame mount is 1.75 inches longer than the drivers side. What I am thing is if I use two pass side mounts I will be within 3/4 inch of from stock width of a stock CJ for the motor mounts. I am thinking that should be easy to compensate for with ether motor mounts from a full size jeep ( I am told they are thicker than the CJ mounts ) or a little spacing here and there. This build is still in my head so any input is welcome.

I ran a 360 in my old cj with a fuel injection kit and liked the torque a lot. You should use two long cj motor mounts or buy the weld on mounts from speedway motors. I think $50 or so.:beer:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_4834e738.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_7ed2e415.jpg

I guess I'm in the minority here.:lol: I somewhat understand the keeping it in the family thing, but personally would still go with a TBI 350. Enjoy the build and put up pics!:beer:

We just did a yj with the full drive train out of a 99 durango, wiring harness , and fuel system. perfect donor , used the stock durango mounts (cut them and fit them to the 4 cyl mounts) , 9" rear, d44 front , 3.54 gears welded on both ends. 38" boggers , plenty of power .

Why in the world would you do want a 360 in a YJ? IMO, it's a underpowered, under-supported, unreliable boat anchor. Not trying to be a downer, but there are waaaaay better options for an engine.

:shaking: I would have to beg to differ on those first three comments. There is always a better option depending on what you are doing with the rig.

Advantage of a 360 are you can still use your tranny/Tcase providing you are replacing a 6cyl.

I used Advance Adapter weld in mounts. Cut the old ones out and you can set the new ones in and still use your stock skid/tranny mount if you want.

Engine
picture.php

going in
picture.php

Installed
picture.php

Motor mount during mock up
picture.php

picture.php

You should use two long cj motor mounts

Yea thats what Im thinking using two long (pass) side CJ mounts should get me close enough to make it work. The I wont need any adapters.

I used Advance Adapter weld in mounts. Cut the old ones out and you can set the new ones in and still use your stock skid/tranny mount if you want.

Thats a nice looking engine. The Advance Adapter mounts look like a strong set up. If go with a 360 and my CJ mount idea doesnt pan out I will use those.

:shaking: I would have to beg to differ on those first three comments.
Hey, that's just my opinion. Every motor will perform if you throw enough money at it. Yours looks like it's seen it's share of dollars and will no doubt perform well for you. See, I'm not trying to start a pissing match, just saying that I think you can get more performance for less money out of a different mill.

Back