350 swap?

I don't know about the '89 but i've seen a lot of 350's in the '84-'88 body style. (2nd gen). Not sure about the 3rd gens though.

Travs97 said:
so i am trying to do a 350 swap in my 89 4runner his any one done this. know of a good price i thinking around 10k ?

what exactly is your question here? yes it has been done... wtf does 10k have to do with anything? swapping a 350 in will not cost 10k nor will you probably be able to sell it for 10k after the swap... im lost on that one... if you can ask some clearly stated questions, maybe we can help you

rattlecanpaint said:
I don't know about the '89 but i've seen a lot of 350's in the '84-'88 body style. (2nd gen). Not sure about the 3rd gens though.

Weren't the '89 4Runners still 2nd gen? I thought the body style didn't change on Runners until 1990.

R.K.

technically, 84-89 were 1st gen runners and shared their looks with 2nd gen trucks.... 2nd gen runners were 90-96?

I have a friend with a 4 runner and a 327. he used a th 350 transmission and an adaptor plate to mate the transmission to a toyota transfer case.

i had a 327 in 86 pickup, it's a tight fit, a body lift IS REQUIRED. your torsion bars cannot handle the weight very well, solid axle swap would be best. and a custom oil pan would be required if you don't use at least a diff drop type lift.

i used a th350 trans w/ adapter plate, and stock axles/gears and 33's

in my opinion, too much power for that high and light of a truck, also too heavy of and engine combo, not a very balanced setup, Cooling is a big problem, all in all not a good setup.

91yota said:
technically, 84-89 were 1st gen runners and shared their looks with 2nd gen trucks.... 2nd gen runners were 90-96?

Yes, I have an '89, dated 2/89. It's the old Gen 1 style. Kinda proud to have one of the last ones ever made (switched in April to '90 body style).

I have heard of 350s also, biggest problem is fitting it, esp if you have no lift.
But geez if 10k is yer budget, WTF, you can put 2 engines in it and have a spare in the trunk.

My personal favorite swap is the 7MGTE, keeps it "in the family" and still assloads of power.

as much as im not a fan of fords... honestly a 302 is a much better swap candidate... its narrower, lighter, and the dizzy is in the front... the engine is actually a tad longer than a sbc but with the dizzy in the front, you have less worries w/ firewall clearance... also, supposedly easier to keep cool... that is what im swapping into my 91 yota... stay tuned over the next few months to see how it goes....

91yota said:
as much as im not a fan of fords... honestly a 302 is a much better swap candidate... its narrower, lighter, and the dizzy is in the front... the engine is actually a tad longer than a sbc but with the dizzy in the front, you have less worries w/ firewall clearance... also, supposedly easier to keep cool... that is what im swapping into my 91 yota... stay tuned over the next few months to see how it goes....

The best would be a new 5.3 with a 4l60e and np241 you will get much better mileage still plenty of power. there is no distributer, so no fire wall issues..

The advantage to a GM is all of the trannies and engines have the same bellhousing bolt pattern, so your interchange and Options are wide open.
You can run a 502 with a Power glide 2sp AT or a 153 4cly with a SM465 4sp man.
If you use a Ford you can not do this as easy.

well after you get a the brackets,motor,rad,trans,lift,headers,exhaust,and mis stuff. i came up with around 8k. everything new. and 2k to play so yeah 10k!

Back