~2500 mile trip in the CTD.

spykosshow

So next Friday through Monday, I'm going to be putting about 2500 miles on the 01 CTD. I'm driving to Chicago, then onto cedar rapids, and then back home. We're going up through west Virginia and Indiana, and then coming home through St Louis and Tennessee.

Any suggestions on things to check prior to leaving? I'm going to cover the basics like fluids and tire pressures, but anything on a diesel I'm forgetting? I'm packing a heavy gauge drop cord to plug it in over night while up there since there's 6 or so inches of snow on the ground.

Clearing out a storage unit filled with my mother's portion of my Grandmother's estate. This weekend is the only chance I have to do it until summer.

Even if I just changed it <300 miles ago?
Yes. If you get a clogged filter with a crappy tank of fuel, you at least have a chance to get yourself back up and running to the nearest service location. Granted the next one may clog too, but...

Also, stick with truck stops or any place with a high turn over for their fuel. You may already know this, but it bears putting it out there for others. No dinky above ground tanks where you don't know how long the fuel has been there. The truck stops will have the best fuel prices too, so it makes it easy.

In 2003, when I moved home to Tennessee from a 14 month job in Washington state, I carried a new spare lift pump under the seat just in case mine crapped out on my '98.5 24V on the 2600 mile trip

The lift pump was Cummins P/N 3990105, but it may have been superceded by now - this is NOT the new style in-tank unit, this is the underhood transfer pump that feeds the VP44

Definitely carry a spare fuel filter and use anti-gel like the other guys said

You should already have a spare lift pump, but as was said...bring one. Obviously tools, tire plugs, and spare fluids.
And satellite radio.

a jug of diesel 911...

ai115.photobucket.com_albums_n288_96jeepzj_IMG_0864.jpg

ai115.photobucket.com_albums_n288_96jeepzj_IMG_0867.jpg

ai115.photobucket.com_albums_n288_96jeepzj_IMG_0873_1.jpg

ai115.photobucket.com_albums_n288_96jeepzj_IMG_0895.jpg

ai115.photobucket.com_albums_n288_96jeepzj_IMG_0886.jpg

ai115.photobucket.com_albums_n288_96jeepzj_IMG_0903.jpg

I can't remember where that picture was taken, there were so many cities and so little time. If I had to guess it was southern Illinois somewhere.

ai115.photobucket.com_albums_n288_96jeepzj_IMG_0903.jpg

I can't remember where that picture was taken, there were so many cities and so little time. If I had to guess it was southern Illinois somewhere.

I-74 East bound, east side of river from downtown Peoria Illinois. ( your photo is looking toward downtown from the east side of river)

I forget the name of the shopping center you are passing, but it is actually in East Peoria.

It's ok, you didn't miss much, Big Al's might have been fun, but it's pretty spendy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...bp=12,321.3782804967516,,0,-16.49929615072858

If I'm thinking of the right truck usually always on Hillsborough and always at some intersection between the fair grounds and the bell tower

Back