2018 Turkey pics

mommucked

Endeavoring to persevere
big trky pic.jpg
Dad is 79 and took his first one today. It was a very exciting morning several gobblin on the roost as soon as we set up in a pre built blind of green pine branches jammed into the ground in a 12' circle positioned 60 yrds from the corner of a plowed field where we heard one was seen strutting for 2 days every morning, a field not part of the lease but also land not hunted. Heard him gobble there 45 mins. later, and he responded to almost every call I made after that. An hour later he was still there. I left dad and snuck up the woods to glass the bird. I saw him through a hole in the trees/brush, about 250yds away and watched him fold up and start walking towards us. I snuck back to the set up where we had a funky chicken and 2 hens placed 20 yrds away. A minute later. I got out of my seat to turn it towards the thicket @ the corner of the field, and a big tom I assumed was the one I saw in the field took off sprinting past us in the woods @ 25 yrds, after obviously seeing my dumbass moving around. I whispered SHOOT SHOOT dad swung the gun but did not shoot, probably a good thing. I was very upset I had screwed up and tossed my slate and stick on the ground. I was sure our hunt was probably over. 15 mins later I hit the call again and to our surprise another Tom gobbled 70 yrds behind us and opposite from the direction the 1st Tom ran away.....A moment later I heard it running in and told dad to get ready. The bird came racing up and dad swung on him. I whispered "don't shoot till he slows down", as he slowed down right near the funky chicken dad wacked him. A perfect head shot @ 23 yrds, not a pellet hit the breast. Needless to say he was very excited and happy he finally got his Turkey....hopefully I can put him on another this year. 21#, 10" beard, 1" spurs.

Last edited:
Nice bird. It's a rush when you knock 'em down.
I went last saturday and sunday in Bertie county. I heard some hens on saturday but no gobblers. I heard a gobbler sunday morning for about 30 minutes but he never emerged from the woods then eventually must have worked farther into the woods. Going again tomorrow here in Wake county.

So the story goes like this me and old @McCracken hit the woods up early nothing nada them birds didn’t want none. So about 10 we decided to cross the road and head up the other side of the mountain for shits and giggles. We walk about 15-20 min hitting the call every 5 min or so. Nothing nada, we get to a corner that cuts back across a little
Creek and can see the road bed on the other side 50-60 yards across. We decided to call one last time and then turn back. Nick gives her a call and nothing silence for 30 seconds so we get ready to turn and leave and nick spots a coyote running on the road bed coming our way. I’ve got a hen decoy in my hand and he’s locked in on it, he stops all of a sudden and nick says gigs up he sees us. I tap my turkey call and he keeps coming. I tell him to get ready as soon as we loose him in the corner. As soon as he gets to the corner we both crouch down, look to the left coyote #2 is fallowing his buddy hot on his hills. Nicks in front of me by about two feet tell him to pull the gun up and I do a couple quick purrs. Coyote #1 pops his head around the corner of brush maybe 10-12 yards nick pops him in the face and he rolls off down the bank. It’s cutting flips and making all kinds of noise. I’m watching the trail and never see #2 leaving, 10 seconds go by and nothing. Whisper to nick other dog still coming. Look up he’s above the road and us coming down at as 15 yards. He gets to about 10 and I pop him in the face. He flips and doesn’t move. Then he stands up
And I pop him again. We stand up and see nicks dog doing the drunk walk up the bank on the other side. Had decent blood but never found that one. This all took place in about 45-50 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the story goes like this me and old @McCracken hit the woods up early nothing nada them birds didn’t want none. So about 10 we decided to cross the road and head up the other side of the mountain for shits and giggles. We walk about 15-20 min hitting the call every 5 min or so. Nothing nada, we get to a corner that cuts back across a little
Creek and can see the road bed on the other side 50-60 yards across. We decided to call one last time and then turn back. Nick gives her a call and nothing silence for 30 seconds so we get ready to turn and leave and nick spots a coyote running on the road bed coming our way. I’ve got a hen decoy in my hand and he’s locked in on it, he stops all of a sudden and nick says gigs up he sees us. I tap my turkey call and he keeps coming. I tell him to get ready as soon as we loose him in the corner. As soon as he gets to the corner we both crouch down, look to the left coyote #2 is fallowing his buddy hot on his hills. Nicks in front of me by about two feet tell him to pull the gun up and I do a couple quick purrs. Coyote #1 pops his head around the corner of brush maybe 10-12 yards nick pops him in the face and he rolls off down the bank. It’s cutting flips and making all kinds of noise. I’m watching the trail and never see #2 leaving, 10 seconds go by and nothing. Whisper to nick other dog still coming. Look up he’s above the road and us coming down at as 15 yards. He gets to about 10 and I pop him in the face. He flips and doesn’t move. Then he stands up
And I pop him again. We stand up and see nicks dog doing the drunk walk up the bank on the other side. Had decent blood but never found that one. This all took place in about 45-50 seconds.

That's FAWESOME!!!

I really wish we would have had a GoPro for it

I've been hunting turkeys w a single shot NEF,12/28, full for 6 years and have recently thought about getting a 12g double barrel for turkey hunting...... so I can load one barrel w turkey shot and the other w 3" BB or #4 buckshot for those deer/turkey/rabbit/quail etc. killers if they came to my calls. I would gladly take the yote first every time, even if it cost me a turkey I was bringing in.

I've been hunting turkeys w a single shot NEF,12/28, full for 6 years and have recently thought about getting a 12g double barrel for turkey hunting...... so I can load one barrel w turkey shot and the other w 3" BB or #4 buckshot for those deer/turkey/rabbit/quail etc. killers if they came to my calls. I would gladly take the yote first every time, even if it cost me a turkey I was bringing in.

I had #6 shot this morning and as I walked out the door switched to #4 because of where we were hunting.

6 days into the season and my friend has called in 10 longbeards to the gun for friends and family. Both the young boys got their first this year, love it! One of his sponsors got a double, that’s always a big plus lol. I’m headed to PA tomorrow and we’ll team up for the week. Favorite time of the year!
86A97FD2-28A9-41E5-B9DB-395852023EE5.jpeg
9801A21A-A252-4667-8874-2B3A0C87EEAB.jpeg
1939C299-F25B-4CFC-9A41-8135E3DF3362.jpeg
31D992AF-8DAB-4DB6-949B-B14573B15131.jpeg
889F7A53-9F19-4E1B-98C9-7BC1F0FFF05C.jpeg
5254FA32-FD83-465E-B1E3-4D6A16D58F61.jpeg
8D89C335-C42F-4F98-B4B0-6C701345EB49.jpeg
E9F05284-D6CA-4551-863A-15DDDB474D81.jpeg
E511D400-3604-4B5B-9E38-D9166D7BC4B7.jpeg
A035D8FD-AFD7-4EC5-A9C9-770827BB9432.jpeg

@GONOVRIT do you know what type/sub-species those white winged turkeys are? beautiful birds.
No clue. Me nor any of my crew had ever seen one with that much white in the wing pic. They’re different for sure but an eastern is an eastern I guess. Might have something to do with the hard life they live due to their location lol.

Friends in PA are still rollin! 15th dead bird my friend has called in this season. Yote came into a decoy at less than 10yds at first light on top of a hill. Three 3.5” #5’s and some blunt force trauma and he was finished. They packed up and went back down and around the hill and killed one of the birds they had originally set up on in the creek bottom. Double down by 7am, classic!

E715FD2E-2C6C-41EA-BFF7-394CF7F1E2F2.jpeg

Back