2017 Jeep Cherokee FWD

Cherokeekid88

So for a while now, I have noticed that when I am parked and have my electronic parking brake on (pretty sure it always does it even if the parking brake isn't on) and I go to release it and throw it in reverse and hit the gas, there is a popping noise. If I don't hit the gas hard and ease into as I backing out of my uphill drive way, I can usually avoid the popping sound or its very minimal. Just trying to figure out what it could be.

2017 Jeep Cherokee Altitude
FWD - 47k miles.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's the shoes retracting after they overcome the friction of being applied and having a load on them. I'd say it's normal, but I'm basing that answer on other drum style parking brakes. Maybe an adjustment is needed.

Genuinely curious.
What is FWD in this post?

Sounds like it's the shoes retracting after they overcome the friction of being applied and having a load on them. I'd say it's normal, but I'm basing that answer on other drum style parking brakes. Maybe an adjustment is needed.
So, last night when I parked it for the night, I didn't put the parking brake on and when I went to leave this morning and throw it in reverse and hit the gas to back up and it still did it. It almost feels/sounds like its coming from the front end.

You would think a CV axle would show more often than the initial movement.
Yeah, its literally only when I put it in reverse and hit the gas. After reading some other threads on the web, either its not exactly like my issue or no one has posted what they found it to be. Someone said they turned off traction control right before they put it in reverse and it stopped it from happening... I've yet to try that one.

EDIT: also, if I go at a really slow crawl to back up the drive way, I can usually keep it from doing it or its very subtle... Don't know if that helps hint at anything or not.

is your parking spot level or on a hill?
If hill are you parking nose up or nose down?
(Wondering if you are loading the parking pawl and hearing it unload)

If that theory is right - you could test by coming to a complete stop. Then setting the parking brake. Take foot off brake with vehicle in D or N and have it sitting, and then place in P.

So is this always a “pull-in forward, park (with or without the e-brake), then back out issue” or does it happen if you “back-in, park (with or without the e-brake), then pull out forward?

In other words is it a strictly directionally cause situation?

Maybe you said it and I missed it….

is your parking spot level or on a hill?
If hill are you parking nose up or nose down?
(Wondering if you are loading the parking pawl and hearing it unload)

If that theory is right - you could test by coming to a complete stop. Then setting the parking brake. Take foot off brake with vehicle in D or N and have it sitting, and then place in P.
Our driveway is on a hill and I typically always park nose down and have to back out up the hill. We have a narrow one car driveway, so its just always easier to pull in.

So is this always a “pull-in forward, park (with or without the e-brake), then back out issue” or does it happen if you “back-in, park (with or without the e-brake), then pull out forward?

In other words is it a strictly directionally cause situation?

Maybe you said it and I missed it….
I rarely back in down the driveway, but today at lunch Ill back in and see if it does it when I go from P to D and go up the hill, but it seems to only be P to R when it happens, but only if I hit the gas. Alot of times I will back in at work but never need to hit the gas since its on a very slight incline, so when I go to pull out to leave and go rom P to D, I have no issues with it.

So I backed down the driveway and parked at lunch and when I went to take the e brake off and go from P to D, I hit the gas and about 3 ft up the hill, I hear a slight engagement, almost like something is going into place. I stopped at the stop of the driveway and threw it in R from D and hit the gas, and I heard it in all its glory.

Last edited:
Ok, so this morning I tried putting my foot on the brake and then going from P to R while the Ebrake was still on and then once it was in R, taking the ebrake off and then hit the gas to back up the driveway and I heard nothing... so there must be something to that because I did it twice this morning just to make sure and both times, I heard nothing...

Back