NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

My best buddy got his mount back today. A palmated racked buck killed in Warren co. this bow season...........scored 124 according to the taxidermist.

mickeys.jpg

Resized952017091195003423.jpg

Resized952017091195003413.jpg

Ok I have a question about the gun session I know it opens on the 21st but the way they use all the big words is hard for me to understand when can you take a doe or buck I will be hunting in buncombe county just trying to stay legal thanks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The biggun makes that other buck look like a runt!

Yeah...I woulda probably left it a couple more years to see what it turned in to. But my dad took the shot, and his philosophy is it probably doesn’t stay on my property 100% of the time and he may as well take the shot before someone else does.

Missed a little buck with the crossbow this morning. Glad it missed instead of a poor hit. Try again...

I've talked to more than a few +bow hunters who have had the deer duck the shot. Even @ 25+/- yrds w fast, louder bows or crossbows. Most all said the deer was alert and/or nervous. I've bow hunted since the 80s and learned to always aim low on any deer, especially @ 30 or more yrds even w the quietest bow and relaxed deer. The deer will drop/lean to jump when unusual sounds reach their ears and even w their head/ears facing away from you they can still hear the sound very well.

Last edited:
I was in my stand yesterday and I heard a "herd" of deer coming up from behind me. I turn around to see this big guy barrelling through the woods. Got two crappy pics because I had to put my gun down and grab my phone. In case it is hard to see that is a black bear.

Attachments

• Bear 1.JPG
    Bear 1.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 455
  • Bear 2.JPG
    Bear 2.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 464
This morning, 3 does, a yearling that was still trying to nurse and a tall spike that was grunting his ass off. Haven’t got a pic of the tall 8pt I’ve been hunting for almost 2wks:(

Close friend shot a very nice 10pt this morning rt at day break. Sounds like I’m about to make an hr drive to help find him. Quartering to chest shot from a .308 and a death kick, I’m betting he’s on the ground.

Believe it or not shot my first deer with a rifle (I have been hunting in the woods with a shotgun my entire life). Not a bad doe at about 150 yards with a browning 06

Attachments

• 49C4A04B-A4D1-464D-B48B-7162341FA493.jpeg
    49C4A04B-A4D1-464D-B48B-7162341FA493.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 416
Believe it or not shot my first deer with a rifle (I have been hunting in the woods with a shotgun my entire life). Not a bad doe at about 150 yards with a browning 06

I grew up hunting/jumping deer like rabbits w buckshot in the grown up fields @ several abandoned farms around shearon harris, 1975 ish. My dad/brother started hunting rabbits and quail out there and kept seeing deer so we started hunting them too. Dad was a crackshot and would have birdshot in the barrel for rabbits, followed by buckshot in his Win. 1400 and just waste the birdshot if a deer jumped up.
It is exciting to have a grown deer or 5+ flush like quail 5 or 10 yrds away in a thicket and snap shoot them........good times

I also love to hunt honeysuckle patches in late dec. w a shotgun. If anybody finds or knows where a big patch is remember where, and hunt it in late December. About all honeysuckle patches hold deer when it's cold and/or wet. The vines/leaves are green all winter and provide food and cover/beds when the winter woods are barren. When I sneak into a HS patch in dec. I have the shotgun butt stuck to my shoulder so I can point and shoot the deer instantly when they jump, it's hard to do that w a rifle @ close range.

Last edited:
On my way to work a few mornings ago, a 6 point crossed the road in front of me going left to right. There was a small wooden fence about 4 ft high just off the road at the edge of the wood line. I guess it confused the deer so instead of jumping it he ran up and down the fence line 2 or 3 times looking for an opening. He could have easily jumped it but instead he backed up to the road, got about a 10 yard running start, put his head down, and broke the damn fence down. I know it rang his bell as hard as he hit it. Chasing booty will make you do some crazy stuff.

Back