2016 Ram regear ?'s

RobMcBee

Slow n easy when you're not gettin greasy....
So I decided to add some new tires and a leveling kit to my truck. It looks great (IMO) but there is one fatal flaw. When I bought my truck I thought I was told that I had the 3.92 gears. Turns out... I have 3.21.
I went up to a 35" tire and tow pretty regularly so I would like to upgrade to at least 3.92. Here's my questions...

1. Are there any suggestions to a different gear ratio?
  2. Is there anything else I should know, like will I need a new carrier?
  3. Ive called a local shop that came recommended and got a price of 1100-1200 is this avg?

any other advice or info is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Just the man I was hoping to chime in! I knew Id forget something... 1/2 ton 5.7 with 8speed

2wd the original size tire was 275/60/20 I think. I was told it's basically a 33. I tow anywhere from a small utility trailer 1500# up to a large equipment trailer 8500#. Been reading on the interwebs that the 8 speed has a lower starting gear so I wouldn't need to go as low as 4.56, but 4.10 isn't out of the question. I'm not trying to regain fuel mileage I expected that to decrease when I added the tires. I just want the trans to not shift as much.

Mathematically speaking, a 3.39 will get you roughly back where you were stock (33" tire is used a stock size in the equation)
If it were me I'd look at 3.55 or possibly 3.92 if you really want the added grunt.
IMO, no need for anything in the 4.xx range.

You're lucky you're not a 4WD as the carriers are welded to the housing in the newer trucks. Check out some of the Ram forums, couple guys have taken out their 3.92s for deeper sets. 3.92s with the 8spd will be nothing short of impressive even with 35s. I have a 2500 6.4 I'll be regearing soon for 37s , it ain't cheap!!

You're lucky you're not a 4WD as the carriers are welded to the housing in the newer trucks. Check out some of the Ram forums, couple guys have taken out their 3.92s for deeper sets. 3.92s with the 8spd will be nothing short of impressive even with 35s. I have a 2500 6.4 I'll be regearing soon for 37s , it ain't cheap!!
Carriers welded to housings???? Wthf???

Carriers welded to housings???? Wthf???

Yup! I'll have to do some googling to find the Years but I believe 13+ on the 1500 4wd trucks you have to replace the whole front housing if you want to regear. Not on the 2500s. The ring gear is welded to the carrier and you can only use a factory optioned gear ratio. I think they're ZF differentials? It's been awhile but you find the info on the web about it

I think he's meaning the ring gear is welded to the carrier I've done a lot of research on this so far and have not seen that anywhere

Mathematically speaking, a 3.39 will get you roughly back where you were stock (33" tire is used a stock size in the equation)
If it were me I'd look at 3.55 or possibly 3.92 if you really want the added grunt.
IMO, no need for anything in the 4.xx range.
Okay I was pretty much geared towards going to a 3.92( pun intended) but really wanted to get some quality input I want it before I pulled the trigger. It really sucks though because that's what I thought I had oh well you live and you learn

What would your price be on doing something like that just out of curiosity

Yes I apologize its been three years since I had my 1500 and wasn't thinking clearly. Ring gear is welded to the carrier in the front and you need to swap everything which gets costly.

UPDATE: (If you care) So I wound up going with a 3.90 gear set after discussing it on here and with @Jody. Chris and Andy @MarsFab squeezed me in and put up with me for the day. I gotta say I I couldnt be more satisfied Andy and Chris do great work. Thanks to Jody for the advice. I've gained about 3 mpg back while not towing, but when towing it accelerates nice and doesnt search for gears anymore. Thats the important part.

Thanks for all the advice and help!

Back