2015 gmc 4.8 ltr

Dylan W.

lone resident of Bro-Lite Island
Found a deal on a van..only 5k miles on a 2015 gmc 2500 van.

It has the 4.8 vortec

Is that enough motor for towing a jeep?
I'm not sure of the rear gear yet.

Anybody have any feedback?

Jeeps have been towed with a lot less motor. Look at the towing capacity, though. Base models are often mated to weak drive trains. A friend bought a 2012 Silverado off the lot. Specifically wanted a manual shift transfer case. We'll, the only model with that option was the 4.8 with a 4-speed auto. Towing capacity was like 5500lbs! Step up to the next model with the 5.3 and 5-speed auto and it went up to around 9000lbs. Go figure. The 4.8 had a ton of power, but he traded up before ever hooking a trailer up to it.

Stop fucking around, buy a good dedicated work vehicle then find a cheap tow pig. You will pay for it with the money you save in repairs.

I think it works tow Jeep/bro truck wherever. Trans is probably the weak link but slow and steady would get you there for sure!

My biggest problem is also my best problem. I have so much work, I don't time to stop and shop..lol this van is local and easy to get. Just not sure it's what I want or need. But I gotta get something soooon.

When you say "not much towing though" does that mean that you don't tow very often , or do you mean they can't tow much?

We don't tow much at all. But our vans are weighted down pretty heavy all the time. We are probably carrying 1200lbs of tools and supply's at all times. It does get excellent mileage with the 6speed trans. 15-18mpg city/hwy mix

Just some spec checking, & the 4.8 seems to be in the 285 hp / 302tq, range, which is some better than the 4.3 V6. You alos get the 6 speed.
I drove a 2015 loaner Chevy WT, 4x4,double cab, 17" wheels, for a month. It had the 4.3 V6, & burnt rubber & hauled butt! But it was empty.
Either engine will tow you, but you'd be happier with the 5.3. That's the #1 engine [5.3] in nearly every Chevy/GMC product.

I was checking engine specs, not vans. But if that's the only option in vans, as STUPID as that seems to be, it wouldn't surprise me!
GM/Chevy toots "Their" "Build a Truck/Auto" program, when it's Really, which of the 3 packages do you want! I better stop here, before I Explode!

The 4.8 will have plenty of power. But as stated above the transmission and suspension will be your weak links. We have a 2012 3/4 ton express with the 6.0 at work and it pulls like hell

Dylan a newer 4.8 will have 50-75 more hp/tq than a 90s 350.

Motor power wont be your issue. I can't speak to suspension etc but you asked specifically about the motor. It will pull it.

But if second Jim, quit shitting where you eat

I drive a 07 express 2500 with the 4.8 for work. It would tow fine. I run with about a ton in the back and it does good. Poor fuel economy though about 13mpg. It would benefit greatly from a better rear gear ratio. I think it has a 3.30ish r&p. A 3.73 r&p would make a difference.

If you are towing a moderate jeep on a lighter trailer then I bet it would be fine. If you are rolling on tons and have a beast of a trailer then I would think twice about it.

You definitely want the lowest axle ratio available to make the most of what the engine can dish out. My '14 5.3 pulls very strong with the 3.42s, even almost maxed out on the GCWR.

Back