2014 or newer ram 2500 reviews?

I've got a 2015, 4X4, 2500 crew cab Cummins automatic. In my opinion, the coil sprung rear end rides like a dream. Huge improvement over leaf sprung previous years. Air pressure is key. I dropped mine to 70# and that doesn't piss off the TPMS light. I can get 23 mpg rolling down the highway at 60-70 mph unloaded. That's mostly a result of those 3.42 gears. I only tow once or twice in a month, and that's to the trail with my S10. Easily a 10K load and fuel economy drops off quickly. I'm talking 12-14 mpg. I could do better, but I set the cruise control and let that Cummins earn its keep. I'm in the same boat as @Jody Treadway when it comes to trailers. I just traded mine in on a PJ 34' triple axle bumper pull (ETA 2 months). Trailer with 2 rigs is gonna put me right at rated capacity and we're gonna see just what that Cummins is made of. So far, 17K miles and not a single issue. The first 5K miles was in the first month with a cross country trip to Moab hauling my 18' PJ and a side by side.
View attachment 247355
How are you getting that kind of fuel mileage ?
I assume it has to be deleted because the best I have seen no load is 14 and Saturday it got 9 towing.
It probably didn't help that we come up the mountain at 70 with the auto manually locked in 4th.

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.
828-779-2242

My 2012 dually was deleted from brand new and I never saw above 14.5 mpg. It only had 8k miles on it when I sold it 2.5 years later though so it might have gotten better as it got miles on it.

How are you getting that kind of fuel mileage ?
I assume it has to be deleted because the best I have seen no load is 14 and Saturday it got 9 towing.
It probably didn't help that we come up the mountain at 70 with the auto manually locked in 4th.

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.
828-779-2242

Nope, not deleted and the only mod I've done is the K&N cold air kit. I get that 23 mpg when I roll back and forth to work with the cruise set on 60 in a 55 (mildly hilly). When towing, I haven't been using tow haul mode and I set the jake brake to auto. MPG's drop off sharply with tow haul mode on. I hope to have some new data in a few months when my new trailer gets here and I try towing 2 rigs. Fingers crossed for at least double digits. I'll most definitely be using tow haul mode then to save the transmission so I'm betting somewhere around 8 mpg is more likely.

Nope, not deleted and the only mod I've done is the K&N cold air kit. I get that 23 mpg when I roll back and forth to work with the cruise set on 60 in a 55 (mildly hilly). When towing, I haven't been using tow haul mode and I set the jake brake to auto. MPG's drop off sharply with tow haul mode on. I hope to have some new data in a few months when my new trailer gets here and I try towing 2 rigs. Fingers crossed for at least double digits. I'll most definitely be using tow haul mode then to save the transmission so I'm betting somewhere around 8 mpg is more likely.
Is this hand calc'd, or going by the computer?

Is this hand calc'd, or going by the computer?

I've randomly checked the math to make sure the computer is accurate. I also live in Shelby, so yes, mostly flat. Guys like @Jody Treadway and @BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC. have to deal with a whole lot more elevation change. I just fueled up a few days ago so I'll run the numbers again next time I run out. Keep ya posted.

I've randomly checked the math to make sure the computer is accurate. I also live in Shelby, so yes, mostly flat. Guys like @Jody Treadway and @BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC. have to deal with a whole lot more elevation change. I just fueled up a few days ago so I'll run the numbers again next time I run out. Keep ya posted.
Please do because I can't possibly see a 7-10 gain in driving style or terrain on 2 very similar trucks.

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.
828-779-2242

Please do because I can't possibly see a 7-10 gain in driving style or terrain on 2 very similar trucks.

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.
828-779-2242

Dodge has done this shit for years. Every 10th truck off the line gets the "mileage tune". They do it just to fuck with people.

I get more than that with my 6.4 Hemi and 37s all city driving!

Sure you do. I have an Explorer that only does 13mpg in mixed driving. @trailhugger's dad has a gas motor 2wd non-Hemi V8 that only does 12.

Sure you do. I have an Explorer that only does 13mpg in mixed driving. @trailhugger's dad has a gas motor 2wd non-Hemi V8 that only does 12.

There's so much to gain by making up numbers for mpg! Evic off but here is one tank, 27 gallons in 309 miles equaling 11.4 mpg.

3293cb31410a9f41bcfb762b5db5c8a9.jpg

There's so much to gain by making up numbers for mpg! Evic off but here is one tank, 27 gallons in 309 miles equaling 11.4 mpg.

3293cb31410a9f41bcfb762b5db5c8a9.jpg
Does the evic reset at every fill up or is that your life time average?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Does the evic reset at every fill up or is that your life time average?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I reset it every time. It's usually consistent .6-.8 off the mark. Most it's ever been off was 1.2 on an highway trip to Asheville. It read 16.9 but hand calculated I got 15.7 going up with four people, baby and bed full of shit. That was when I was stock.

Got nothing to gain or lose here. I go back to work this weekend, night shift. I'll do it up all "conspiracy theory" style for the haters and if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I'll top off on the way to work at my favorite station (I'll use the same pump both times), take pictures and all that. 2 nights will be about 150 miles for 2 round trips. If @99JeepXJ is right, I should burn half a tank of fuel.

Got nothing to gain or lose here. I go back to work this weekend, night shift. I'll do it up all "conspiracy theory" style for the haters and if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I'll top off on the way to work at my favorite station (I'll use the same pump both times), take pictures and all that. 2 nights will be about 150 miles for 2 round trips. If @99JeepXJ is right, I should burn half a tank of fuel.

I drive a 6.4, so don't go off my results!

My '14 ram 3500 drw 4x4 cclb 6.7 cummins gets 17-18 hwy empty in the piedmont area. I have seen 21 up north where they have the "up to 20% biodiesel" . All hand calc. Evic is always +1mpg vs by hand. Driving to work with some stop and go I get 16.2-16.5 routinely. Aisin trans, 3.73 rear factory stock. Fifth wheel big country 4010rd in tow on the flat gets down to 9-11. Never weighed it but gotta be 22-24k . I don't think it's so much the weight as it's Just a big ass sail with the full profile fifth wheel front end on the 42ft camper (height is prolli around 13'4" ish at the a/c.

Mine is a 2015 6 speed on 35s. Bone stock engine, no mods with 35,800 miles. 3.42 gearing.
Commuting around Asheville I get 15-16
All highway (I drove to Monroe NC last week) I can get up to 18 if I keep it around 65.
Towing around 9-10k I average around 11-13
Real world, hand calculated mileages.

I'm starting to think ditching the 3.42s for some 4.10s will help.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Gears for our trucks is pricey but I need to do the same with 37s and the 6.4. Problem with my truck is the 66rfe has the gearing as the 68rfe the diesels have, so even stock, 430s would have been best. 456s are what I'm considering now. Didn't buy the truck for mpg but at the same time it's nice getting decent numbers. I'm shocked your stock diesel unloaded is so low. Guys in the cummins forum report much better numbers

Just picked up a 2017 Dodge 1 ton dually 4x4 with 6.7. Oddly enough, I've put 200 miles on the odo, 10,000 miles on the tires and ripped through a tank of diesel. Whoops...

2011 fully deleted, CCLB, 4x4, 6 speed,stock wheels and tires, 426k miles. Empty below 65mph will get 20mpg. Towing jeep/mercedes on trailer below 65mph will get 13-14. Empty 70-80mph 13.5 mpg Towing 70-80mph 11 mpg.

Back