2013 wrangler sport axle questions and opinions....

ord.sgt.26NC

Gott mit uns!
this 2013 I picked up has a 6 speed elmanuel tranny and 3.21 gears. Looking at increasing my tire size from the stock 29 inch tall tires to the 32 inch tall ones that come on the sahara optioned wranglers.I gotta fill them holes the 29s sit up in. I know she will need a regearing to either 3.73 or even 4.11 to keep me from slipping the clutch on the pull off. It allready feels like the ratio needed to be more like 3.55 atleast. Which gear ratio would work for this. Also, I know price is a relative thing but what does regearing axles generally run on these jks? I regeared for cheap on the tj by going with stock axles that were 3.73 from the original 3.10. Are there enough stock low mile axles floating around to be able to do that without having to beat the bushes looking for the prize? Jeep doesn't have 23,000 miles on it yet so I wanna do what will last a very long time.

With a 6 spd and a 32 tire I'd say it's not nessecary to swap from 3.21 to 3.73 or 4.10 .

I would go 4.10, little high strung but will drive like a sports car.
I'd say $1,000 for regear is normal including parts and all labor

I wouldn't put used gears in that, you will have to change carriers in the d30

Last edited:
Cheapest I’ve seen gears and mini install kits is around $400. The labor depends on the shop or person doing it. I’ve had good luck so far with the Dana SVL line through rockauto. I’ve got one person with 10k+ miles on a some I did back in February. Quiet as can be and they setup pretty easily. At the minimum I’d say new pinion bearings and races just for a little reassurance. I’m not a huge fan of setting up used gears because I hate taking chances if they can be noisy from how they were setup before and lapped. I could be dead wrong about that as I’ve only done a few sets of used gears, but it sketches me out.

If you plan to wheel it at all, at least do sleeves. I don’t trust JK front axles worth a damn I swear you can squint at them and they will frown.

And 3.73s would probably cruise better on the highway. My JK was turning 2800 at 70 with 4.10s and stock tires. But it’s where it liked it with the 3.8.

Also the take out axles are stupid expensive from what I’ve seen. They are in high demand because the front bend so easily.

Go with 4.10 gears, you'll be happy you did.

Rates vary, but a fair price on the low end for new gears, bearing kits and a front carrier is $1200-$1400 parts and labor
If OEM quality parts are used the price will go up a little.
Shop overhead varies obviously as well.

Do the math.
Stock tire size/stock gear ratio = new tire size/new gear ratio
29/3.21=32/new gear ratio
9=32/new gear ratio
32/9=new gear ratio
3.55=new gear ratio that would give you stock rpms

If you do 4.10
29/3.21=new tire size/4.10
9*4.10=37" new tire size to give you stock rpms

So if you go with 4.10 with 32" you will be turning some rpms. I wouldn't re-gear until I was going with larger tires than 32.

I see your point @Tradarcher, here's my respectful counterpoint :beer:

32s turn into a good deal on 33s or 35s. Then you see a great deal on a winch, bumpers, etc. Next thing you know, you have a 5500# pig of a JK that is sluggish (again).
IF, and only IF it stays stock weight and never, ever any larger than 32" rubber, the stock gears or 3.73 will be sufficient. However, neither will drastically make much difference with his primary goal of not having to slip the clutch in 1st to take off.
Last week I geared a 2015 on 33s to 4.11 for the same reason. The JK belonged to a young lady and her dad had replaced the clutch twice already in 98k miles.

Last edited:
Nellie bell told me to go with 5.38s but that is a tad extreme. I'm leaning towards 4.11s. When I take off, the torque isn't there for a smooth pull off. I wind up giving right much peddle to pull off but if I get off the clutch to quick,it bogs. If it was a auto,I believe 3.73 would be sufficient.
This isn't going to be any kind of trail rig so no heavy bumpers or other bolt on carp. I got this for weekend,trip,reenactment duties. Wheeling is reserved for nellie belle.

If that is the case I wonder if you could find 3.73 geared front axle and buy it which might be cheaper than re-gearing. Then part out yours. Can't comment on the rear being cost effective because they are all D44. I replaced my 3.07 TJ axles with 3.73 for $250 and then parted out the 3.07 axles for that much.

When I did my tj, I bought a set of axles from a v8 zj and then a rear d35 from another tj. Transverse the disc brakes from the zj 35 to the tj 35 and the used the v8 zj drag link to upgrade the steering a tad. I had about 250 in that swap also.

If you decide to go 3.73 I've got a good jk rear 44 gear set. Cheap. Only had 40k on the factory setup, pulled to go 4.56 (2wd at that.. all for looks)

I have a set of 3:73 as well with 15,000 miles that I took out of my JK

Sorry, just gear sets ( both D44 though )

when I do the regearing, I'll go with all new stuff.

On axles this new, should a shop be able to knock it out in a day or two?

Go with 4.10 gears, you'll be happy you did.

Rates vary, but a fair price on the low end for new gears, bearing kits and a front carrier is $1200-$1400 parts and labor
If OEM quality parts are used the price will go up a little.
Shop overhead varies obviously as well.
woof!!! I just got my first quote from a vendor on here. Ouch! I know there is alot of overhead in their shop but man.

Can't do your second one until you do your first.... Just sayin.

ok,got my new tires ordered and will have them mounted next saturday.I'll see how she performs with the taller dognuts. If it's bad,I'll put the 16 inch rims back on and wait till I gear the axles.

oh,what tuner have yall used for dialing in your tire size and such? Lookin at the AEV procal module. Good?

The AEV procal will do all you need Jimmy. I wouldn't regear it being a light 2dr 6spd, 33 inch tire and have fun

The procal is super easy to use.

I have the AEV coming. Should be here any day.
My tires came in and for right now, the regear is on hold. Test drove her and didn't seem that much different than with the smaller tires. The AEV can work with the fly by wire throttle to improve throttle responce so I'll see how that does.
Ummmmm, unsure if I lke the anti roll back feature this jeep has.Is there a way to cancel that? It's caused me to chock off a time or 3 also.

Back