2006 FORD F350

blt2krawl

Hey guys can someone lead me to a site or give me some info on what issues to look for with the 6.0 and what to fix. Thanks in advance, I have looked around the web a bit but see some conflicting info. Also just bought this one, smelling some strong diesel smell outside of the vehicle after driving, it wasn't doing this before I just want to make sure I didn't buy a headache.

It will either be one way or the other ..you got a good one or a bad one ...I've seen some run 300k and not give many problems ,on the other hand I've seen some 6.0 engines that were a pain in the ass just to keep on the road weekley. Good luck

Hey guys can someone lead me to a site or give me some info on what issues to look for with the 6.0 and what to fix. Thanks in advance, I have looked around the web a bit but see some conflicting info. Also just bought this one, smelling some strong diesel smell outside of the vehicle after driving, it wasn't doing this before I just want to make sure I didn't buy a headache.
A good shop can perform an inspection and prevent you from buying a truck with major issues.
The 6.0 can be a great truck but has some problem areas.
1: EGR coolers are known for leaking, most opt to prevent this by deleting the egr. Not a hard job but time consuming, I would recommend while there doing a oil cooler, stc fitting and cleaning the turbo.
2: head gasket issues, many of which are thought to have stemmed from egr cooler issues but there's a long list of speculations. A set of arp head studs and Ford gaskets seem to fix this issue for the most part.
3: stiction, injectors and ficm. These trucks use high pressure oil to create high pressure fuel. Poor maintenance, oil quality, filtration capabilities and weak ficms caused 99% of injector issues (imo). Most of which can be resolved with a ficm (58v prefrebly) and good oil/filter combos. This of course doesn't address all out injector failure, which does occur from time to time. The blue spring mod is also a cheap and easy modification which can be installed by the owner which helps prolong injector life.
Hope this helps.

Agree (despite the fact that i hate hot shot secret for making people misues the term stiction...stiction isnt what causes injectors to stick....grrrr)

Where are you smelling diesel at? The rubber tank adapters can dry rot on any diesel. Ive never seen it on a 6.0 specifically but its certainly possible as I have seen sever CTDs and even my old 7.3 did it.

FICMrepair.com has a lifetime warranty...hard to beat.

The #1 issue imho with the 6.0 (aside from a horrible head design) is the coolant that ford uses in them.

Depending on your plans either drain and replace with good quality Diesel rated ELC coolant OR if you are doing an EGR delete anyway BEFORE you do it do a chemical flush using the Cummins Restore and Restore + (these are different chems that do different stuff you have to do two separate flushes back to back)...then drain and refill with a good ELC. The restore + is a bitch of a chemical..it will remove years of built up crud....if your EGR or Oil cooler is weak it may take it out. Thats why I say ONLY do that if you are deleting them and do it before because you can clog a cooler with the sludge you break up.

Agree (despite the fact that i hate hot shot secret for making people misues the term stiction...stiction isnt what causes injectors to stick....grrrr)

Where are you smelling diesel at? The rubber tank adapters can dry rot on any diesel. Ive never seen it on a 6.0 specifically but its certainly possible as I have seen sever CTDs and even my old 7.3 did it.

FICMrepair.com has a lifetime warranty...hard to beat.

The #1 issue imho with the 6.0 (aside from a horrible head design) is the coolant that ford uses in them.

Depending on your plans either drain and replace with good quality Diesel rated ELC coolant OR if you are doing an EGR delete anyway BEFORE you do it do a chemical flush using the Cummins Restore and Restore + (these are different chems that do different stuff you have to do two separate flushes back to back)...then drain and refill with a good ELC. The restore + is a bitch of a chemical..it will remove years of built up crud....if your EGR or Oil cooler is weak it may take it out. Thats why I say ONLY do that if you are deleting them and do it before because you can clog a cooler with the sludge you break up.

Absolutely. There's a new word being invented on forums "sticktion: when your injectors stick" I can't help but giggle each time I see it.
Here's an actual tsb: http://alliantpower.com/sites/allia...a/technical-bulletin/2009/aptb_01-09r1_en.pdf

Last edited:
Absolutely. There's a new word being invented on forums "sticktion: when your injectors stick" I can't help but giggle each time I see it.
Here's an actual tsb: http://alliantpower.com/sites/allia...a/technical-bulletin/2009/aptb_01-09r1_en.pdf

OMG that TSB is Horrible
Ford defines cold engine operating conditions to be whenever engine oil temperature is less than 70º F, which includes pretty much all of North America, therefore this bulletin applies to virtually all Alliant Power customers.

Bwhahaahahaha

Back