2005 Uwharrie National Forest OHV Trail Workday Weekend Sche

2offroad

Jeepless
Do you want these trails to remain open?
If so, then..... WE NEED YOUR HELP!

April 16 & 17
May 21 & 22
June 18 & 19
September 17 & 18
October 15 & 16
November 19 & 20

We meet at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp Each Morning at 9:00 AM.

FREE TO VOLUNTEERS

* CAMPING at Group Camp Site "C" on Friday & Saturday Nights of Respective Work Weekend!

* SHOWERS Available to Volunteers on Work Weekends at Arrowhead Campground!

*OHV TRAIL PASS to Volunteers to Ride the Trails for Free for 1 Whole day!

FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL:

Leigh Marston
(910)576-6391

Mark Hall
Uwharrie@S10-4x4.org

www.Uwharrieinfo.us

Thanx, Janet. There's no workday in April due to personnel constraints - it's Southeast fire season and OHV opening time together. This is why there are no real workdays in July and August - that's fire season out west and these are, after all, US personnel and are subject to being sent to the big fires. The manhours are piling up for them, so if they're going to be available for enforcement, somethings gotta give. This year's workday schedule will have fewer workdays because of those considerations.

We were on the trails this past weekend clearing trees and getting the brush outta the way. The trails have been groomed and the water bars reworked, but they have NOT been "paved." I can report that Daniel, like all the trails, is groomed in a few spots for drainage, but it's pretty much its old self, challenges and all. The big hill and the switchbacks are as you remember them.

The big mud holes on Rocky Mountain Loop have been dealt with through great quantities of rock and crushed (used) asphalt, and all this will probably inflame the mudholers in 4WD land, but too bad. There are springs and fill dirt on those portions of the trail and the ground doesn't perk, so if you want the place to meet environmental considerations and remain open, you'll learn to deal with it.

And a note to the ATV crowd: you are the group who has the greatest number of users in the OHV area, and the group most responsible for rules and regs infractions, and the group who shows the least numbers on workdays. Do something about that if you can. The responsible ATVers who do participate in the care and feeding of the Badin Lake OHV Area will be the only ones to read this I'm sure, and they know this is not directed at them. Just as with the 4WD groups, it's a shame that they can't enjoy themselves at times for the buttheads who only think of themselves.

PS: there's no need for replies and comments to this thread condemning any one or any group. It's all already been said a thousand times here.

Uwharriehost said:
there will be no workday in April
And here I'd already gone and beat the bushes for volunteers --- Maybe next time.

Hey there, Janet!

Don't be surprised if your phone rings soon!
(HONEST! ;) )

Cheers!
Smiley

Question

What is needed.
My truck still has it's bed(for now) so I can carry stuff.
Do I need to bring chainsaw or any tools?

Thanks

:gitrdun:

My brothers & I have started coming back to URE after about 15 years of missing out. Raising families and all the good stuff like that, have kept us away. We are planning on helping on one or more of the Trail Workday Weekends, we enjoy the trails & the time we spend at URE. We normally camp either at Arrowhead or on the trail, according if the families go with us. On the trail workdays, will it help if we bring any tools with us?

I think it's a shame that a few others do not stay on the trails & throw out trash on the trails which can spoil it for everybody.

Is the oct 15/16 cleanup still going to happen? I pick stuff up everytime that i'm there anyway but I was just wondering.

Back