2005 LQ4 to 1990 5LM60 (Getrag)

BarryB

Need lots of help figuring out how to hook up an LQ4 to my 1990 K1500 5-speed. I've gotten nothing but a-holes on other forums who tell me I need to leave things alone or hire them to do the job.

The 6.0 was available with the NV4500, which was also available behind a 350 in the previous gen trucks. Not sure of that would make more sense as a swap.

I'd go with the 4500 over 3550 unless it's intended to be a sporty truck.

Do you have any specific questions? I'd start with a flywheel for a 4.8/5.3 truck. I put a 6.0 in my 89 R30. I used a used a flywheel/clutch for a 99ish 4.8 1500 silverado. The internet said that the pilot bearing wouldnt fit work but it did. My trans a SM465.

The NV3550 is a Jeep trans...

GM used an NV3500. The one he's talking about is the precursor to the NV3500. With that said, they ARE fairly trouble prone. The early NV3500s were too. The later model ones are a bit more stout.

A '99 model 4.8 will be a long crank motor. There's .400" difference between them and the rest of the LS motors. You definitely need to know or just look at the crank of that 6.0 to see if it's long or short. If it has aluminum heads, it's very likely a standard short crank motor.

What he's going to need is an NFW 1050 or LFW 387 flywheel if it's a short crank. Hopefully it is because I can't even find a long crank flywheel any more.

As for a clutch, I'd use one for an 03-06 2500HD so long as the input shaft is 1⅛ 10 spline like most other GM truck transmissions. According to RockAuto's pictures of a 1990 model clutch, it is. You could likely use a factory application clutch as well.

If it's a short crank motor, you should be able to use the larger crank hole and a sealed roller bearing for the pilot instead of a needle bearing or pilot bushing. If it sticks out further, which it shouldn't, I'd go with a bronze pilot bushing over a needle bearing.

With that said, they ARE fairly trouble prone.
this and my understanding is fewer rebuild parts...had an Uncle retire from GET-A-RAG btw.

Do you have any specific questions? I'd start with a flywheel for a 4.8/5.3 truck. I put a 6.0 in my 89 R30. I used a used a flywheel/clutch for a 99ish 4.8 1500 silverado. The internet said that the pilot bearing wouldnt fit work but it did. My trans a SM465.
Sorry- I should have been more specific. I'm having the engine checked over by a mechanic with more experience than me while I get the pickup ready to go. Yes- I'm looking for clutch, pressure plate& flywheel recommendations. The pilot bearing/bushing issue is also a concern but I'll have to sort that out when the old engine comes out and I can measure the input shaft to determine which way to go. Thanks

With that said, they ARE fairly trouble prone
I must have gotten really lucky- 0 issues with the trans and it has over 250k on it.
I'm having the engine checked over by a mechanic with more experience than me while I get the pickup ready to go. Yes- I'm looking for clutch, pressure plate& flywheel recommendations. The pilot bearing/bushing issue is also a concern but I'll have to sort that out when the old engine comes out and I can measure the input shaft to determine which way to go.
Thanks!

What's your ultimate plans for the truck? Is it a stocker build with a heart transplant, or you going for a crawler with solid front swap?

My advice...run it until it lets go and find an NV3500 or NV4500 to stick in it's place. So long as you get the early versions with an external slave cylinder, it'll be pretty much a bolt in swap. They'll use the same clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, etc. All are 32 spline outputs. Not much, if any, length differences.

What's your ultimate plans for the truck? Is it a stocker build with a heart transplant, or you going for a crawler with solid front swap?
Heart transplant. It's just a driver/ backup to my '04 Tahoe with 333k miles if I need to haul larger items for the wife's horses.

My advice...run it until it lets go and find an NV3500 or NV4500 to stick in it's place. So long as you get the early versions with an external slave cylinder, it'll be pretty much a bolt in swap. They'll use the same clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, etc. All are 32 spline outputs. Not much, if any, length differences.
Thanks. Your reputation is well deserved...
Gonna keep an eye open for a NV4500 that's not thrashed and do a refresh of the wear parts and keep it on the side. That's what I had in mind from the start- just need to watch costs for now.

Finally was able to get the old engine out (back and knee aren't playing nice- been down for a bit) and was able to determine the clutch is a no-go. The input shaft on the 5lm60 extends .25 inches past the front of the bell housing- so it looks like a pilot bearing. Other than a little dirty, the trans is in good shape. The shifting is positive and no indications of issues so I'm gonna stick with it for now. The "new" LQ4 is an iron block with aluminum heads and is in great shape.
I'm still trying to find someone who's done this particular swap but not having much luck. Is it that unpopular or am I just that clueless??
For a clutch assembly- I'm looking at either the LuK 04089 or the Sachs K187709. Those seem to be the most recommended

Probably because nobody has done it. They probably ditched that particular transmission immediately and used a different 5 speed to avoid and impending issues in the near future. Or because it doesn't work. One of the two.

Back