2003 PSD Starting up

ricesyj

This was the first cold day since I have had a diesel. I turned the key waited till the coil light went out and then went to crank and it just kept turning without starting. Pulled the key out and repeated and the truck started right up. Am I doing something wrong. When I say cold I mean 44 degrees.

Could just be a fluke?

6.0 or 7.3?

My 01 7.3 wouldn't start on the first cold day of the year... WD-40 sprayed into the intake got me going though. The problem was the glow plug solenoid, simple $100 fix (part from dealer). You can test for it with a test meter... or better yet, you can easily tell if the glow plugs are getting juice by just looking for a voltage drain when you turn the key on. The easiest way to do that is just to see if the headlights/interior lights dim when you turn the key on.

Could have been a fluke, could have had a air bubble in the HPOP, the diesel couldve gelled. If it is weather related failure you should see a puff of smoke and it will be continuos until temps get to normal operating. Funny though that you mention 44 degress. The suggested block heater usage is 40 degress and colder. You can add a little kerosene to your tank or some of that diesel kleen in the white bottle to help with diesel gelling. although at 44 degrees you shouldnt have a problem at all.

StevenK4x4 said:
........WD-40 sprayed into the intake got me going though.

I'd be a little judicious about using that to start your truck, at least recommending it to others as a quick fix.

It don't take much to make a run away, and it don't have to run away long to make confetti of the engine internals.

Been on the repair end of "using WD-40 to get'er goin' " as well as other methods, gets expnsive quick.

Starting fluid, gas on a rag over the intake, WD-40, carb cleaner, raw diesel in the intake, any un-metered fuel source (even engine oil from a blown turbo seal) is a bad thing, especially when there is a big air source to mix it with along the way (intercooler,turbo) it don't take much.

Not being able to shut a reving engine down at will is a BAD BAD feeling !!

That being said, 'tis the season for glow plug, grid heater relays to puke, now they they are in need.

anything with OBD2 diagnostics "should" pop a SES light if the glow plugs are not operating as these are emissions related items, ( which should also be covered under 8yr/80k emissions warranties same as converters, don't let them BS you)

being this is the first really "cold" start of the season, wait and see if it is a recurring issue, could be the 'puter had to make a few adjustments for the cold and it took a few seconds longer than normal.

Kevin

Back