2003 Jeep transmission questions

benmack1

As the title says, 2003 Wrangler, 2.4L 4cyl. Completely stock, never been modified.

I believe after some reading this is one of the NV1500 (or NVG1500 or NV2550 are used interchangeably) transmissions which were only used in 03 and 04 behind the 2.4L motors. They are different than the more prevalent NV3550 (more on this below).

My problem: Not huge yet but worrisome. It's shifting kind of hard from a total stop when in neutral to first or into reverse. Like backing out of the garage in the morning from start up to putting into reverse. Doesn't seem to matter if it's cold or warm necessarily, it will do this at an intersection when I stop for a light and put in neutral and let the clutch out for a minute to wait on the light then when I clutch it and try to shift into 1st it goes in hard. No grinding or anything, just feels like I really have to push it in hard, much harder than what I call normal. Shifts fine through the all the gears and doesn't even do it all the time, just now and then. When I am rolling slow and put it into 1st, it falls right in, no problem. Anyone have an explanation for this?

Next question: After some reading on the web, it says the fluid is basically lifetime for these transmissions. That seems crazy but I'm not an engineer. Any reason not to change it?

3rd part: I want to change the tranny oil so was reading on specs. There is ALOT of mis-information out there on this NV1500 transmission. People use it interchangably with the NV3550 and apparently the NV1500 uses a friction modified fluid and the NV3550 does not. Apparently, Chrysler doesn't even know this or at least many of their dealers don't know. The base fluid is the same and that's where they screw up, the NV1500 requires a friction modifier to be added to the oil and Mopar never put their name on a quart of oil that was pre-mixed with the friction modifier so they sell the unmodified oil and neglect to sell or tell folks about the other component. Idiots!
Much like a LSD you need to add a 100 mL of a friction modifier to the 2.3 qts of the base oil for the NV1500 if you use mopar oil. Alot of folks are using the pennzoil synchromesh or RP synchromax too. Not sure if those are OK or not. However, I read that GM part 12377916 is the right oil, already containing the friction modifier (the S-10 of some vintage uses the same New Venture transmission). Can anyone verify that I have this cluster fuck of a story correct? Also, back to the original question, is there any reason to not change my tranny oil? I don't trust anything in my manual, it doesn't even have the right engine oil capacity for my motor (says 4qts and the motor requires 5) so I am not going to rely on my owners manual for any of this kind of info.

Kinda hoping Lee comes along and reads this :D

Thanks Lee. I've tried that, doesn't seem to help. When it is resistant to go into gear I can press the clutch, release, rev, press again etc and no change. I am not moving when I'm doing all this of course. This problem only happens when the jeep is stationary either at a red light or in the garage etc. It also has no grinding or anything. It has a feel like a shifiting fork or end of the lever is binding up on something and not sliding correctly then with pressure it will pop in. It's one of those feelings like one of these times something is going to come apart. Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about but just has that feel if that makes any sense. Worst case I'll see if it gets worse or something will come apart and then I'll know o_O:D I should have added, this jeep has about 55K on it. I bought at 36K so I don't know the complete history but I am quite sure it's 100% original, never been touched for maintenance of modifications in the transmission or clutch. If it gets to be a real issue with driveability I'll just bring it over to you.

Does it help if you go in 4th first? I do that with any of my trucks, they're all manuals, and it's become a habit. If going to reverse, I always hit 4th first. When going to first, I always go 2nd, then 1st. It just helps line up the synchros and stop the internals from rotating. My 99 Silverado is a pain in the ass sometimes and I contribute it entirely to the clutch. I have a Spec Stage II and I haven't liked the feel of the pedal vs. slave cylinder/throwout bearing travel since I put it in there.

Does it help if you go in 4th first? I do that with any of my trucks, they're all manuals, and it's become a habit. If going to reverse, I always hit 4th first. When going to first, I always go 2nd, then 1st. It just helps line up the synchros and stop the internals from rotating. My 99 Silverado is a pain in the ass sometimes and I contribute it entirely to the clutch. I have a Spec Stage II and I haven't liked the feel of the pedal vs. slave cylinder/throwout bearing travel since I put it in there.

I'll give that a try. Not sure if I've ever tried that. I do think it will go into 'other' gears just not 1st or rev typically.

Yeah, just seems like the nature of the beast. If it does, just do that and get in the habit and you'll never think about it again.

Yeah, forgot to mention that I've had 2 pilot bearings go out in my Silverado. The 4.8 was a "long crank" motor and they used a needle bearing. I absolutely hate those with a passion. Since I went with a newer 6.0, it has a shorter crankshaft (.400" shorter) and uses a full sized, sealed, roller bearing. I foresee it lasting a lot longer. That being said, the synchros are still finicky in my transmission.

Also, I had all FOUR transmission to bell housing bolts come loose on my K30. Two of them fell out, the other two got jammed and just sat there. I'd guess your transmission is a one piece case, like an NV3500 though, so that's probably not anything for you to worry about. This was on an NV4500 and I assume the massive amounts of torque, the rattling nature of a diesel, and large tires coupled with heavy loads are what made it happen. :D I never had any shifting issues, I just wonder why the shifter would move 3 inches to the right when I'd ease out on the clutch :rolleyes:

update: Haven't had a chance to try all the shifting scenarios when it is being ugly, but I tried 2nd gear and I can drop into 2nd with much less resistance although not completely freely like it should. Once I do that I can place the shifter in any position 1-5/R and it falls right in. This is before I let the clutch out and just shifting while clutch is in at a traffic light at a full stop. If I am rolling, no problem ever it will fall in gear. If I was at a full stop, having shifting trouble, if I let it roll (clutch still in), that too seems to help it fall in gear just fine no resistance whatsoever then. I haven't tried to put in 4th to remedy the situation from a full stop when it's acting up but will when i think of it next time.

@benmack1 - any update? Just curious.

Nah, just driving it. I found that if I drop into 2nd gear at the intersection before shifting into 1st it works pretty good. My clutch is making a bit of a springy noise with a 'tink' sound at pull compression, especially when really cold in the morning so I am thinking maybe I have some issues developing in the pressure plate but heck I could be totally wrong. Hard to tell with these TJ's what's a new noise and what's been there all along. One of these days maybe it won't disengage and that'll get interesting quickly I guess. :eek: I figure worst case I go drag it home with the tow bar or trailer so not a biggie but sure enough it will be at RDU or the middle of the durham fwy when it goes with my luck. I hope it's clutch related as I can't find any info on the tranny (NV1500/NV2550). Seems they are POS tranny's in the 03/04 4cyl wranglers from what I read and I can't find any write-ups on rebuilds so not sure if I can tear into that if synchros or something internal to the trans is the problem. If the clutch goes, you'll be getting and invitation for a weekend of wrenching when i pull the driveline to replace it. That should be a circus huh?:driver:

Back