2003 dodge cummins

pheery

looking into some trucks, but can't find an answer i was looking for.

in 2003, there are 2 motors, standard output and high output. there is a substantial difference between the two accoring to dodge's specs.

but i can't find a high output with an auto anywhere. do they exist? was it a special order? or am i going to have to get a 6 speed to get the truck i want?

maybe someone can point me in the right direction, if not i am getting a ford.:beer:

they only put the HO in the 6-speeds in '03, and I *believe* early '04?

As good as my built auto is, I would love a hand-shaker...

I love the six speed in my psd but had to replace the shitty factory clutch & arm

HO only with self stir model

And I feel ya, while Straight drives are nice for towing (those 8-10 times a year) the rest of the time sucks, ESPECIALLY IN STOP AND GO TRAFFIC

that is my concern, my wife will be driving this alot, and although i will tow sometimes, it is a daily driver. so an auto would be nice the rest of the time. thanks for the answers, can't believe i couldnt find that.

how much of an actual difference is there between standard and high output 9feel when you are driving it, i know the numbers)?

I have an 03 HO, I think they came out in the later part of that year.

You can get a programmer that will compensate the difference in HP/TQ. The SO's run a different program then the HO's I believe.

As soon as the third gen trucks started, 03, you could get the standard output with either tranny or a little later in the year the HO with either tranny, six speed or 48re. I promise. We have an 03 HO auto at work, and an early 04 ho auto.

that is my concern, my wife will be driving this alot, and although i will tow sometimes, it is a daily driver. so an auto would be nice the rest of the time. thanks for the answers, can't believe i couldnt find that.
how much of an actual difference is there between standard and high output 9feel when you are driving it, i know the numbers)?

The difference is substantial. IF you drove an HO and then drove a SO you would be dissappointed. I have driven both quite a bit and the difference is VERY noticeable.

Currently my 12v is an Auto and for driving to work it is great. but when towing I could really use 2 more gears. I think I might put a 6 speed in it when it gets retired as the DD, which I hope will be sometime in the next year.

You can equal out the HP easily with programmers but another downside no one has mentioned is SO engine is louder than the HO. Just something to think about. All that being said I have a 99 rattle box but I am use to it and just turn the radio up if i dont want to hear it.

As soon as the third gen trucks started, 03, you could get the standard output with either tranny or a little later in the year the HO with either tranny, six speed or 48re. I promise. We have an 03 HO auto at work, and an early 04 ho auto.
X2. I believe the difference on the autos is going to be the mid-year change from the 47re to the 48re and that should correspond to the SO to HO transition. Unless you're talking about a Cali truck, then all bets are off.

A programmer on a non HO truck and it'll run better than a stock HO truck.

This is true, but....a stock HO truck will will not hurt its tranny for a while. An SO truck with a programmer will have the 47re, and is going to puke its guts quickly.

I would also be willing to bet that a programmed SO will run higher egts than a stock HO.

Just thinking out loud here.

the 48 re that much better than the 47 re? this truck is definetly a 47re, and a standard output. i dont need it to haul ass, just need good mileage, and enough power to pull 6k up any hill, and be reliable. it would be a dd truck.

Teach her how to drive a stick or save extra cash to replace the tranny, that's about all it's going to boil down to if you keep it a long time. I have two friends who both have 48re trucks and both have put trannys in them around 125k, with occasional towing and lots of DD. Diesel trucks just don't like autos unless you're ready to drop 4K on a badasss trans.

kinda figured that would be the answer, and i think i am going to have to take that advice. just seems like the better choice in the end. this truck was a little out of my range anywho...

the free f-150 is getting harder and harder to beat.

straight from Banks:

DRIVETRAIN SAFEGUARDING
Anyone who is familiar at all with Dodge Cummins pickups knows that the potential weak link in the chain is the automatic transmission. The 47RE, and its replacement, the 48RE, have grown from a design that was simply never intended to handle the extreme amount of torque that the Cummins engine is capable of delivering. If too much torque is applied under certain high load conditions, it is possible to cause the clutches in either the torque converter or the transmission itself to slip. When this happens, power is not being transferred from the engine to the rear wheels, no matter how much the engine might be producing.

Back