2002 2500HD - Solid Axle Tow Rig

295's get my vote

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

295/70r17 is my vote. 35 x12.50s are too wide, and 285s aren't tall enough.

I like 295s also..basically a 33x12. Not too tall though and most of the tires I've looked at haven't been extremely heavy either, which is good.

Done with what? Hell, I've put several hundred miles on it already.

Guess who?

Dude, that rig is bad ass! Nice work, man!

Edit: looks like I need to edit my signature... it's slightly outdated lol

Hell nah...I try not to even let this one get dirty, much less wheel it!

Well...as the title says...tow rig. I have two other trucks that could be wheeled.

I've been doing things. The rear wheel spacers finally came in from Motorsports Tech. I bled the power steering some more and it'll turn about 1/3 of the way in either direction when you're sitting still...so it's getting a PSC power steering pump and hydro assist added since the box is already fitted for it. That means it'll probably get some sort of traction aid in the front eventually.

These are 2" steel spacers that are hubcentric. Pretty damn nice product if you ask me!

20171118_181838.jpg

Yes, I know I still need to trim the ends of the u bolts.

20171118_182821.jpg

20171118_182831.jpg

As you can (kinda) see, the front and rear are pretty much even. The corner of the tires are just past the edge of the mudflaps. It looks much better...especially in person.

Hydro assist and the new power steering pump will hopefully come sooner than later...apparently GM went from a 10 vane pump to a 12 vane when they went to the LMM and these earlier pumps don't flow worth a damn at idle and don't like to push larger tires. The PSC pump is rated at 1600psi and flows something like 1.5 gpm more than my current pump. Sounds like a winner to me!

Forgot to mention that I weighed this big bitch today! 7260 lbs without me in it and 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I wish I had weighed it before the swap though...I know it gained some weight, just not sure how much.

My 03 LB7 CCSB 4x4 was right around 7000lbs if I remember right. I'll see if i can find the exact number.

Went by there on my way home, front of the truck was 4200 even, rear was 2780 with a full tank of gas (03 Duramax Crewcab, standard bed, 4wd, no cargo or tools, no passengers). Pulled right up and everything was working.
@Croatan_Kid So 6980lbs for an 03 CCSB LB7 4x4 LT with leather, power seats/windows/locks on 265s.

Nice build and a cool thread. Very cleanly done. I like the Machining bits and pieces.
Choosing quality kits and using them falls in my built not bought category. Job well done.

How are the Kings behaving?

And I may have missed it. No sway bar? I totally dig not having one. It's why I asked.

@jeepinmatt freakin sweet! That was my previous setup and mine is an LT also, so that's probably pretty damn close. I'm sure you have a toolbox full of stuff like I do too. Gaining 400 lbs isn't too bad, unfortunately it's all on the front....you know, right where it needs more weight!

@WARRIORWELDING I'm a big fan of them. The valving was a joint project between WFO and King to get the best ride they could and they use a single rate 400 lb spring. It rides damn good! There are many places on Highway 70 around here that would make the truck bounce off the pavement, but it doesn't do that any more.

Nope, no sway bar! It feels like it has less body roll now than it used to. I think the radius arms help with that. I noticed that during the install when I was cycling the suspension without the coilovers in, I could put the jack under the axle tube on the passenger's side and it would pick the other side straight up too. It would be really easy to put the stock one right back on in its original mounts, but it's great without it.

The flex characteristics is more of a result of the link ends. For its purposes its perfect. Abuse from purposely ditch flexing it out might not keep them real happy. I am not real up on coil valving, wonder if King valved them with aggressive rebound to fight sway for road use. In my head I think that could help.

400 lb springs are pretty stiff too. I have the valving cards that came on the coilovers still. I'll post the specs next time I stop by the shop. It's kind of a characteristic of radius arms to not want to twist and the MetalCloak joints that they use are real damn tight.

I don't think it could ride much better than it does now...definitely better than stock.

Damn Black Friday....might have to buy some new tires :shaking:
If it's the discount tire coupons, they have those same ones several times a year.

If it's the discount tire coupons, they have those same ones several times a year.

Simple Tire has the ST Maxxes cheaper than anybody else, but they're 10% off now, which brings them down to 233 a piece.

Went ahead and ordered some tires tonight...they kept taunting me. I showed them who's boss, dammit! 295/70-17 Cooper ST Maxxes. They should be here this week. I also spoke with Trevor at WFO about hydro assist and his experience with other trucks after the SAS. Long story short, I'll just be adding the hydro assist ram. No need for the power steering pump, really. It just needs the force to be put on the tie rod.

PSC makes some really sweet mounts for these axles too, so if I have room I'll probably use their stuff.

Went ahead and ordered some tires tonight...they kept taunting me. I showed them who's boss, dammit! 295/70-17 Cooper ST Maxxes. They should be here this week. I also spoke with Trevor at WFO about hydro assist and his experience with other trucks after the SAS. Long story short, I'll just be adding the hydro assist ram. No need for the power steering pump, really. It just needs the force to be put on the tie rod.

PSC makes some really sweet mounts for these axles too, so if I have room I'll probably use their stuff.
One thing about upgrading the pump is speed. With a 1.5" ram in my TJ, stock pump, PSC big bore box, I could turn pretty quickly in one direction, but then it was a brick wall if I wanted to turn back the other way quickly. I found this out when I went to pull out quickly from a left turning lane back into the straight lane. Gave it gas, steered right, went to steer back left and it wouldn't move. Took about 3 lanes of traffic before enough pressure returned to get it straightened out. Fortunately there was nothing beside me, but the cars that were coming up behind me certainly had to hit the brakes for the WTF moment.

Back