2001 F250 transmission issue after rebuild

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers' started by Nissan11, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Nissan11

Nissan11 Well-Known Member

I have an 01 F250 auto with the 7.3. Last Sept the transmission went out in TX on a road trip towing a trailer. I had a shop in Sherman, TX called Alpha Transmission rebuild it. The price was $2800 with a heavy duty torque converter, brand unknown.
    The truck has drove and shifted great for the most part every since. However, this winter I started doing some fishing and I noticed when the truck is on a steep incline of a boat ramp it will not move unless I give it a lot of gas, like the transmission is not engaging or something. I checked that the fluid level is at the top of the high mark. I put the truck on a hill at my house and it always takes about of gas and with a sudden jerk it starts moving. I am obviously not going to take the truck back to TX to let the shop look at it. Is there anything I can check on my own? Should I take it to a local trans shop and let them look at it? I am in Hoffman, NC.

Attached Files:

2. redneckjeep87

redneckjeep87 Landscaper Extroidanaire

I would be curious as to what stall they put in it. Does it still drive fine everywhere else, only issue is on a grade? How is the fluid?

3. Nissan11

The fluid level is at its fullest. It drives great everywhere else.

4. redneckjeep87

redneckjeep87 Landscaper Extroidanaire

I meant how does it look...the condition. How does it smell, what color etc

5. Nissan11

The color and smell is like new.

6. a_kelley

a_kelley mechanical fixer

Check the filter to pump seal? I'll look in service manual tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything else.

7. Chris_Keziah

Chris_Keziah Joe Dirt @ Rev Limit Fab

I'd check what @a_kelley said. I'd take it to a trans shop and have them put a pressure gauge on it after pulling the pan to check for obvious stuff.

8. Nissan11

I just called a transmission shop in Aberdeen. The guy I talked to said it sounds completely fine to him and that it sounds like it has a "high stall" torque converter. He says he is not worried because when on incline, once the truck starts moving it keeps pulling fine. He said he would be happy to drive it for me to be sure so I am going to try to get there Friday afternoon.

9. a_kelley

didn't you say it was fine a year ago, and didn't do that?

Also who puts a higher stall converter in a diesel? Doesn't make too much sense to me..

scrubber3 likes this.
  10. Nissan11

I have not had the truck on an incline until recently so I can not say how long it has been doing this. I also never had the truck on an incline before I rebuilt the transmission so I do not have anything to compare it to.

I have been reading about stall speeds online and I still do not understand something. If a truck has a stall speed of 1500 rpm then why does it start rolling forward on level ground at idle when put in drive?

11. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

Fluid friction. Everything is spinning, so there is a force being applied even at 1 rpm. The force just increases as the rpms increase.

12. a_kelley

Because the converter still transfers some force under the stall speed. Stall speed is where the torque multiplication comes in and keeps the motor from revving beyond that rpm until the input shaft starts turning.

To test stall speed, hold brake, apply wot. Do not hold wot longer than 5 seconds. Should be 2049-2381 for a stock converter.

It doesn't slam into gear on the incline, right? Just a smooth engagement?

13. Nissan11

It does not slam but it seems jerkier than I would expect. I will test stall speed today. Thanks

14. Nissan11

On dirt, with the brake pressed hard, the rear tires break loose at 1400-1500rpm every time. I dont know how to get it to wide open throttle in gear without the tires turning.

doc likes this.
  15. a_kelley

Ok so, on flat ground, you got plenty of power at 1400-1500. So it should be the same on an incline.. check trans pressure on flat ground & incline & I'll almost bet the filter to pump is leaking air/cavitating/etc..

jeepinmatt likes this.
  16. Nissan11

Thanks!

17. a_kelley

You could overfill it by 1/2-1qt and see if that makes a difference on the incline. If it does, you know it's sucking air, but usually the inlet is at the back of the pan.

18. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

What ever happened to @transman731 or whatever his username was?

19. a_kelley

he became @Lee I do believe..

20. Lee

Lee ECGS

2 different people. transman731 is Lee Crawford. He is at mieneke off Capital Blvd in Raleigh last i heard.

He used to work at ECGS also so I can see where that might be confusing

Caver Dave and a_kelley like this.
  21. a_kelley

thanks for clarifying!