2000 Jeep XJ a/c Compressor issue

Cribb

Formerly cufor98
I've searched the forums for a bit and didn't see exactly what i'm seeing. Here it goes... at low rpms (crawling through trails) the AC works fine. At highway speed, the AC will start blowing warm air and I can smell a burning rubber smell. Turn the AC off and smell goes away. Turn back on and the smell comes back. Also, under idle, with AC on it will cycle on and off as normal. This tells me the clutch is working? Turns out the burning smell is the serpentine belt dragging over the AC pulley at highway speed/rpm. The compressor is hot as hayull and there's some gunk around that area. I'm reasonably sure my compressor is shot. I can change it, but refrigerant is still in the system that needs to be captured. Then have the system vacuumed and recharged.

This is my opinion. Any others?

Any recommendations of where to take her around the Wallburg, NC area?

Yes, the belt was tight.

In case anyone is curious and watching, the clutch is locking up. Could have just replaced that if I'd have noticed sooner. The Compressor is also low on PAG oil and running hot as hades. The oil is actually seeping out of the pressed line fitting (where it goes from tubing to hose) behind the compressor that sends it to the condenser. Not sure what caused what to be damaged first, but it all needs to be replaced. If my kids didn't occasionally ride in this thing, I'd be bypassing the a/c for $40 and letting it ride. Might even spend the extra savings on a door removal kit. DAMMIT

Back