2000 Jeep WJ Cranks no start

leakedd

Mall Crawlin'
Hey, asking on here if anyone has any idea whats going on with me jeep. So most of the time it will crank up run perfectly fine however occasionally it will just randomly cut off while driving and not start back up. The only way I have figured out to get it running after that is to disconnect and reconnect the battery multiple times. Sometimes I can reset it one time and it will start, however other times I may take up to 10 times for it to finally start back up. Additionally sometimes I will be driving and the sentry light on the dash will come on and if I continue driving all gauges will go out but the jeep will keep running. I honestly have no idea why it does this I have read multiple jeep forums and stuff and I cannot find a solution.

I have replaced the crank shaft position sensor 3 times and this still happens. Most forums say that is the problem but it has proven itself not to be the problem.

I was reading this and saying to myself and said CPS. But then I got to the bottom of the post :shaking:

That's funny though because my WJ 2000 runs great all of the time and the one day in my driveway no start. Replaced CPS and was back on the road like nothing happened. The only other suspicion I have is your grounds/cables/battery strength. Good Luck.

Ok so I dont believe it is the battery grounds because in the past they were loose and I had different problems that have since been fixed. I have cleaned the battery terminals and posts so they should be fine.

Also I really think the battery is fine but I might go get it load tested tomorrow, its free and will give me a definite answer if its the battery or not.
I was reading this and saying to myself and said CPS. But then I got to the bottom of the post :shaking:

That's funny though because my WJ 2000 runs great all of the time and the one day in my driveway no start. Replaced CPS and was back on the road like nothing happened. The only other suspicion I have is your grounds/cables/battery strength. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I'm going to throw a vote in the ballot box for the ignition switch.
I bed a dollar's worth of nickels it's starting to lose proper contact between positions.
I feel that there is a slight chance it could be the ignition switch because if you turn the key really hard in the ignition it wont crank it'll just click and not turn over. The only thing that leads me to think it not being the ignition switch is I feel like the ignition switch wouldn't interfere with the gauges.
I did some more research on Jeepforum and thinking theres a slight chance it could be the Body Control Module (BCM)?

Possibly but you'd need to have it scanned to see if it if the issue. And unless the scanner is higher end the scan won't be useful. ($3k minimum). My bet is with Jody on the ignition switch. Also if I'm not mistaken the BCM would need to be programmed in order to allow it to start.

Ignition switch been there done that shit! Only so many cps can be bad before it's something else!

I'm going to throw a vote in the ballot box for the ignition switch.
I bed a dollar's worth of nickels it's starting to lose proper contact between positions.
I got $10 says you nailed it...

What flavor CPS are you using to replace it? Seen many people swear only OEM works, that aftermarket are gambles.

The sentry light and gauges going screwy does seem to point towards ign switch though.

^this is true but the aftermarket usually work long enough to leave ya stranded in callalantee on top of welder or some shit of that nature... lol

Drove from Charlotte to Winston-Salem this morning it cut off three times on the way back. Once I made it to Winston I bought the ignition switch swapped it and have driven it about 40 miles so far and haven't had any problems. Hopefully shes good to go now! Thanks for all the help!

Well, the Jeep did good for the last two weeks and since yesterday evening it has cut off on me three times.. Maybe the ignition switch wasn't the problem? So frustrating, especially when the jeep cuts off and wont crank while you're sitting at a stoplight...

Back