2000 excusion v10

adam greene

how good do they tow, and how good of motor is the v10 it has 110k miles seems to be in good shape. also what kind of mpg do they get. anything to be on the look out for

Thats what I tow with. I get around 13ish towing my 2800 Mustang on a 2000 lb trailer all day. 8-10 around town, 15-16 hwy empty, not too bad really.

thats not too bad, do they have the power towing? they claim to be getting around 12-14 mpg so thats about right just gonna be hard getting rid of the dodge that gets 18-20 mpg. also the excusion is 4wd

Power is pretty good. I did previously have a juiced up 24 valve, so its a bit of a shock. But all in all, it tows just fine with out any real issues.

mine is aweful 2-5 towing 144000 on it. Tranny will not pull in 2nd but I have lift and 35 no gears but I got a 12v to put in it hehe

ps from my to asheville 1.5 drive towing empty 16' trailer is just shy of a whole tank of gas

dang thats not to good there idn im gonna go look at it sat. do you think it would be a good trade to trade my dodge d350 cummins for it

id keep the dodge

No matter what year cummins, i don't think i could ever give it up for a v10 (unless it's family reasons) It'd be hard to give up better towing, better mileage, longer life.

heck, i have a 7.3L excursion and mine still tows like crap...unless you are doing it to carry people a lot, then i would keep the dodge! now going on family trips, its awesome to be able to carry 4 people, 2 dogs and all the stuff you need or just a bunch of people...but if i was trading solely for towing reasons, i would keep my dodge!!! and messing with WD hitches is a pain...just my .02

heck, i have a 7.3L excursion and mine still tows like crap...unless you are doing it to carry people a lot, then i would keep the dodge! now going on family trips, its awesome to be able to carry 4 people, 2 dogs and all the stuff you need or just a bunch of people...but if i was trading solely for towing reasons, i would keep my dodge!!! and messing with WD hitches is a pain...just my .02

Do you have a rear sway bar, V/B spring swap and good Bilstein shocks? It should not tow like crap for any reason.

yea its a stright up trade still thinkin on it i love my cummins best vehical ive ever owned

I would stick with the Cummins, I know my Expedition is its little brother and I would much rather being towing with a Diesel. If it weren't for the family I would be towing with something like your CTB. I have givin thought to geting the Excrusion with the Diesel, But I would stay away from the V10.

Do you have a rear sway bar, V/B spring swap and good Bilstein shocks? It should not tow like crap for any reason.

the ride is not whats the problem, but no i don't have the spring swap...mine just feels like it doesn't have any power!

the ride is not whats the problem, but no i don't have the spring swap...mine just feels like it doesn't have any power!

Wonder if you hane an engine problem then. I cut the muff/cat out which helped. But it needs to breathe as well, a good intake is on the list. DP Tuner makes a great 7.3 tune, had it on another truck. My next upgrade.

i pull a 32ft. bumper pull with a 2000 v10, it sees 14-15k lbs. behind it frequently. it does good for what it is. power isn't great, but it's adequate considering what it weighs and having 33" tires with 3.73 gears. it has no problem doing 70-80mph fully loaded. brakes are decent and the suspension is stable. you can't be afraid to put your foot in it though, they like to rev to get into the power band. mine is all stock except for a gutted cat. supposedly they respond really well to a good tune, but i haven't gotten around to trying one yet.

i've put about 20-25k miles on it in a little over a year of owning it and haven't had any major issues. it's been all over the east coast, up to canada, etc. biggest repair it's needed was a coil pack a couple of months ago. it's got around 160k miles now. it's been in mud, sand, and snow and does surprisingly well.

supposedly having the 4.30 gears helps a lot if you can find one with them. the only real downside is the fuel mileage, but that's to be expected with any gasser. i get about 10-11 mpg around town, 14-15 on the highway, and about 8 towing. it's hard to beat the prices on them too, the v10's are about half the price of the powerstrokes.

for me, it's the perfect all around vehicle. all the passenger room you could need, plenty of cargo space with the 3rd seat out/2nd seat folded down, tows well, all the creature comforts, decent off road, etc.

Their pricing is great, like you said Rufus. I bought mine last year. I wanted a Tahoe or Expedition (because I didnt really want the world's biggest SUV) but they were just way too exspensive, even 3-6 years old. I found my Excursion in Atlanta as part of a gov. program where they were providing their depts with better mileage vehicles. 2002, 4wd, XLT, V10, 36,000 miles, for $12,000! Cant pass it up.

It sits 6 days a week. But when its time to tow, or go on a trip (we have a 140 pound malamute) we love it. Its no 24 valve, Stroke or Duramax, but its all we need.

Never had any problems with my '99 F250 V10. Dad used it to haul a 26" camper up to MI and back...and pulls a 19" boat like there is nothing there. Gas mileage is horrid though...I usually get 10-12mpg unloaded everywhere.

Back