2000 Chevrolet 3500 w/ 454

k5-1402

I am looking at buying a low mileage 2000 Chevrolet 3500 w vortec 454 2wd dually. I have always had diesel engines and don't know much about these. Other than low fuel mileage, does anyone know of things to be aware of or of any known problems with these trucks?

guy I work with has had to replace 2 sending units in the tank, could be just his luck! He likes his truck but yes the economy sucks. Towing heavy expect single digits! I don't recall his year but he said his has inboard drum brakes on the rear. They are a little more work to maintain unless you upgrade to disc. Best thing going for any truck like this if when you get it, its paid for......its paid for!

We had a 2500hd suburban with the 454 and 4l80 i think it was a 96 model. The fuel mileage wasnt terrible 11-12 no matter what this was with headers and a cold air intake, had to rewire everything radio related and the 4wd had a few glitches but it was a great truck i wish i didnt sell it…

Since it's newer than 1998, you can have it tuned and get some more power and gas mileage out of it. It really wakes those 454s up! They're just made to be a 24/7 powerplant, nothing exciting about them. Do a few things to it and let the motor breath and you'd be surprised at how well they pull.

A buddy has a 1997 ex cab, long bed, 4x4, 2500 Chevy and we pulled a car to Duluth, GA and brought another one back. We managed to get about 8mpg and we were cruising about 70-ish when possible.

Intake, tune, headers, and a quiet, free flowing exhaust and it'd be a real good tow rig. Being a dually would help stability a lot as well.

Well, its a crappy rainy day for pics, but here's my new to me ride. This is the first time I've had a 2wd dually with a gas engine, but I think it's going to be a good truck.
IMG_20131204_092525_831.jpg
IMG_20131204_092553_234.jpg
IMG_20131204_092622_730.jpg

Nice looking truck, and it is not even broken in yet!

How much did you score that jewel for?! It might as well be new with only 43,000 miles!

I really like that truck. I like the color, the stance, the rear bumper...I just like it a lot :D Should be a good one for a long time to come!

If you feel the need, I believe the larger tow mirrors from a later model truck will bolt on those doors. That'd definitely help out with that camper on there, especially if you're hauling a trailer. I prefer them in general now...it's nice to be able to have the bottom mirror turned down so you can see a painted line when you back in a parking spot, you can see your trailer tires in relation to the side of the road, and you can change lanes much easier. I think I got mine on Ebay for like 170 ish. They have power mirrors and all that too, but mine are manual.

Back