2 rig gooseneck is 14000 pounds enough

Clubbs

EDIT: Just found and bought a trailer, pics on post #9

So I had to pass on the 40 foot deck because I would be over the 60' combined length so I'm still on the search for a new wagon. I really would like to be able to pull my modified ramcharger (5500 pounds) and I buddys' wrangler crawler (4000 with the future 4bt and tons to happen this winter). Most of the 30-36 foot trailers I've looked at are tandem 7k axles, and the trailers all weigh about 6-7k pounds themselves. That and my 2500 cummins says its rear is good for 6100 pounds. So that puts trailer capacity to maybe 10k. That doesn't give me alot of room when the freindly troopers pull me to check my weight. Am I missing something or does everyone just run around overloaded and get away with it. I can't afford a tandem dually trailer and a triple axle trailer seems nice until I think about squeazing it into the campsites for a weekend of wheelin. What is everyone else doing to pull two rigs???

Dave

I'd say you're borderline with that trailer. If you were towing a pair of 4k Jeeps, no problem. But figure you've got about 17k to work with, minus the trailer weight, gives you about 10-11k in load. Make sure to check the tires, too. Lots of times the trailers will be running E tires, but in like 215 or something, and they're only good for 2800-3k/ea.

I'm 13k just my van trailer and xj. Best to load up and go through the scales to b safe.

yup I went to see the motor carrier folks at the hwy patrol office to get some info. 60 feet max for a pickup truck and trailer unless you are a "motorsport" and then its 95 feet I think but you have to be doing something related to the sport ie going to a race, practice, tune session, etc.

I guess I'm going with a 14000 gvwr trailer about 30-34 feet long. I have some scales at work that are the same sort as the hwy patrol uses, I'll put my rig on the scales and then my buddy's wrangler, guestimate how much it will weigh with the 4bt and other mods and do some math.

Anybody know of a trailer for sale. I'm good for the $100 a foot rule if anyone knows of one.

Dave

IMG-20111119-00066.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG-20111119-00067.jpg
[/IMG]

Its a 2001 Texas Bragg dually tandem. brakes on all four, 24' deck with a 5' dove tail. Has a ramsey 8000 on the front, 8 good tires. The VIN plate says the GAWR of each axle is 10,000 pounds but says the GVWR is 13140. The guy I bought it from says he did that so he didn't have to get a CDL. I didn't think you could do that, but I'm going to try and straighten that out so it a 20000 gvwr trailer again... any tips on that would be appreciated.

Pulls nice, needs some wire wheelin and some paint to look new but I picked it up for $3500.

Dave

nice trailer! i used to haul 2 jeeps on a 24 foot delta gooseneck, it was a tight fit but it hauled really nice. my dually(2003 cummins 4 door) and my 24' delta trailer(14kgvw) weighs 13k lbs with me and a full tank. i am tagged for 26ks so i can haul 13klbs legally.
the trailer you bought is probably close to 6000 lbs empty? go to a nearby truck stop and weigh it. it costs a few dollars but they weigh each axle, this will give you a good idea of what you can haul.

Back