2.5l to 4.0l

Tails

so I know this swap had been talked about several times, and the general consensus is that it is easier and cheaper to go to a V8. However, I feel that my situation is a little different.

A few months back I purchased a totaled 03 rubicon for a few hundred dollars. I pulled the Dana 44's, lift, rims and 33's, hardtop, steel bumpers, and winch from it and put under my four cylinder. I also pulled the 4.0, automatic, 241tc, and the engine wiring harness.

My tj is a 99 manual and I want to keep it a manual. I feel I have every major component minus a manual wiring harnes (I was told by a fellow member he will trade me harnesses for free) and a transmission.

Today I was informed that because my jeep is a 99 and my motor is from a 03 rubicon( coil packs) I will have to rewire the dash to make everything work. I was also told that the motor mounts are in a different location. What else don't I know about this swap? I figured it should be a basic swap since both are TJ's

so I know this swap had been talked about several times, and the general consensus is that it is easier and cheaper to go to a V8. However, I feel that my situation is a little different.

A few months back I purchased a totaled 03 rubicon for a few hundred dollars. I pulled the Dana 44's, lift, rims and 33's, hardtop, steel bumpers, and winch from it and put under my four cylinder. I also pulled the 4.0, automatic, 241tc, and the engine wiring harness.

My tj is a 99 manual and I want to keep it a manual. I feel I have every major component minus a manual wiring harnes (I was told by a fellow member he will trade me harnesses for free) and a transmission.

Today I was informed that because my jeep is a 99 and my motor is from a 03 rubicon( coil packs) I will have to rewire the dash to make everything work. I was also told that the motor mounts are in a different location. What else don't I know about this swap? I figured it should be a basic swap since both are TJ's

Engine Swap Info Needed - 1997 2.5L to a 1998 4.0L

The fact that the engines aren't the same model year is going to be a problem. I don't have wiring diagrams for 03, but I know 97 was hugely different from 98, and 99 had significant differences from 98. And those three all use basically "the same" motor.

If you still have the Rubicon, I'd consider pulling the entire harness from it and swapping it into the 99. It would basically amount to a tub/frame swap, rather than a motor swap.

Thank you, I guess I'm just going to sell the 4.0 and the automatic with the wiring harness and save up for a v8 swap

Thank you, I guess I'm just going to sell the 4.0 and the automatic with the wiring harness and save up for a v8 swap

I'd be interested to know how you get the V8 through inspections. I've asked that question of folks before, and never gotten a straight answer.

Sell everything you have and buy a TJ with a 4.0.

I'm gonna sell the parts sitting in the garage then it's to the thinkers my block but thank you to all that have helped out.

Back