2.5 ton Rockwell's

Clubbs

Are the 2.5 Rockwell days over? Seems that was the ultimate level of red neckery a few years ago. We've all figured out how to make tons work with after market upgrades and such. Is anyone building with Rockwells anymore or is it considered old school tech these days.

I'm thinking of swapping the tons from my ramcharger into the cj7 and putting rocks under the ramcharger, but is there enough aftermarket support for the rocks to get parts?

I think there’s plenty of parts out there for them, but folks just figured out they’re super heavy and wide. Yeah, I know the argument of low unsprung weight, but it’s still a lot of added weight and mass to move up hill over an obstacle.
With 05+ SD axles available like they are and having fairly affordable aftermarket parts, I think it killed the 2.5 ton market.

I would mostly agree with Phillip. Rockwells arent really that much more heavy than trussed tons. I think there are still a number of folks running rockwells, and the aftermarket is still supporting them, but most new builds are not using them.

My opinion of that is, the surplus on Rockwells basically dried up, making them more expensive and harder to find. The aftermarket has also exceeded their strength in every way, so you can build a one ton axle that is the stronger. The low gear ratio in the rockwells has not proven ideal for many that arent trail riding. Custom 14b/D80 axles or Axletechs have taken their place in the racing/extreme/high hp rigs.

To me, they are still a good option for a trail only rig. They are stupid simple to work on, and can be plenty strong. The tradeoff is the 3rd member size and having to build around it. If I could find some for a decent price, Id pick some to run again. Most I have seen for sale lately have been way over priced.

The aftermarket axle shaft price ($5k) per axle for the good ones kills them for me.

Plus it’s too easy to get shafts from East coast gear supply that hold up to 500hp and 43” stickies for one tons.

The deep gears are nice, but really a little too deep, unless you want to run tires bigger than 43s. There are plenty of folks that have build rigs around them, that can get good wheel speed, but it is a limiter for many trying to build on a budget (which is the whole advantage to rocks, IMO).

The deep gears are nice, but really a little too deep, unless you want to run tires bigger than 43s. There are plenty of folks that have build rigs around them, that can get good wheel speed, but it is a limiter for many trying to build on a budget (which is the whole advantage to rocks, IMO).

If you use them with a NP205 which has a notoriously high ratio in Low, it's not that bad.

I am not a big fan of rockwells for a few reasons (see what's been mentioned above) but there's not denying they still are a good budget option I think. And dirt simple.

If you use them with a NP205 which has a notoriously high ratio in Low, it's not that bad.

I am not a big fan of rockwells for a few reasons (see what's been mentioned above) but there's not denying they still are a good budget option I think. And dirt simple.

I agree, that is the best option. Having had a set in the past and wheeling with a number of folks that had them, I agree on a budget option. But they arent indestructible, and have downsides that you have to plan for.

05+ sd60s have opened up many options for cheaper custom axles, if you need something stronger than standard tons.

I wholeheartedly agree with all that you said since the beginning of the topic :)

Back