1st OBX camping trip

Gse Brent

Doing my 1st OBX camping trip and 1st actual beach camping trip. 1st week of June i'll be camping at cape point campground in hatteras, then ocracoke and then cape lookout. Got any advice or recommendations? Are generators allowed on all those areas?

I've never been to that exact location, but you are in for a treat. If it didn't take me forever and day to get there I would frequent OBX regularly.

Yeah, fuel up in the town of Plymouth. Its the last gas until you get to the coast. I had to dump 2 cans of Coleman fuel into my truck to make it once. Frickin' head wind makes a big difference in mileage on a boxy truck and camper trailer.:D

cape point campground is cool, plenty of space but very minimal on extras, it's wide open with no trees except on the edges, showers are cold water only, it's usually pretty quiet, there's really no gate to check in at, put your $20 a day fee in an envelope in the dropbox and go. If the beach isn't closed to orv's due to some protected bird's nest, you have 2 access ramps to the beach within 1/2 a mile of the back of the campground without ever having to touch pavement. it's really close to the hatteras lighthouse, all you see at night is the light and ALL the stars. If surf fishing is your thing, there's a couple really good spots in that area-try a little north of the old lighthouse site next to a retaining wall going out into the water.

For ocracoke, your camping options are the national park campground, the beachcomber, and teeter's; i prefer to stay away from the beachcomber and teeter's, they're kinda run down and a little nasty. the nps campground on ocracoke is ok, plenty of room, cold showers and sand tends to get everywhere-bring long tent stakes. beach access is really easy from here. I highly recommend Howard's Pub as well the Ocracoke Pizza Co.

I'm really siked. Thats exactly what i wanted to hear. I saw Howard's pub cuz i looked up bars on Ocracoke. But good info didn't know theres no gate check in i saw it was first come first serve though. Also bringing my 5 gal gas can just in case but i'll fuel up before cape lookout. I reserved the national park campground on ocracoke already.

i'll be there myself this time next month... i've rolled into the cape point campground at midnight before, no check in required, but it was kinda a pain setting up a tent in 30 mph wind...

So does it ever really fill up? I see they claim 200 some camp sites. I should arrive there around mid afternoon on a friday. Is the wind really that bad on all these places?

Be aware, loop D in the NPS campground is NO Generators period ( the quiet loop ) the rest of the CG you are able to use genset during non quiet hours ( 8pm-8am) no hook ups on site, water, showers(2) and real toilets ( and heated water in the sinks ) are all in center loop.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__bNzpca2fdik_TpjFBx4sDUI_AAAAAAAAA3c_SNo9LB0hvFU_s640_DSCF2379.JPG

Our site last summer, loop D, shower house behind the camper

not sure what you'll need a generator for, as long as there is a breeze, ( and there usually is ) there is no need for AC

bring mosquito spray, if the wind dies down, you become bait ! stay away from the sites near the road ( far side in the above pic ) , the bushes are good cover for the mosquitos too

So does it ever really fill up? I see they claim 200 some camp sites. I should arrive there around mid afternoon on a friday. Is the wind really that bad on all these places?

can't speak of the private CG's, the NPS usually has no shows and or cancellations, you may have to wait but you'll probably get in.

as far as the wind is concerned, YES it is always blowing, sometimes it's a wonderful endless breeze, sometimes is a full on gale, either subject to chance at any time.

God help ya if the wind STOPS blowing

in the above picture I turned the camper 90° on the pad to let the wind blow in one end and out the other. best sleep I'd had in some time, right up until it started raining @ 3:30am ( 13 windows with zippers to close in a hurry and you have to PEE really bad, is not a fun time ! )

I booked D too, i wanted to be as close to the water as possible. Don't need the generator at all really just maybe on cape lookout since theres really nothing around at all. I think i picked D5, hope i get that exact one when i get there. Just hope it doesn't rain and weather is nice. I'll be bringing lots of bug spray too btw.

Sounds like paradise in a way. I thought being on the beach at night in Atlantic beach was amazing with the wind and the cape lookout light going but i cant wait for these 3 days of camping obx.

the picture was taken from top of the dune on ocean side of the CG, Loop D is farthest north, furthest from the gate ( and the rangers )

no open fires in the campground, but you can build them on the beach over the dune.

I love the OBX as well, we're probably going again in July for wifes B-day

I booked D too, I think i picked D5, hope i get that exact one when i get there. Just hope it doesn't rain and weather is nice. I'll be bringing lots of bug spray too btw.

funny you should say that, as the Honda in the picture is actually parked in D5, we were in D4 just across the way,

unfortunately, the babe in the bikini driving the Honda probably won't still be there....

i also am heading to the obx on the 26th. im heading to corolla though. lots of beaches to drive on! hopefully the jeep will be ready.

funny you should say that, as the Honda in the picture is actually parked in D5, we were in D4 just across the way,

unfortunately, the babe in the bikini driving the Honda probably won't still be there....

haha wishful thinking... So you can't back your vehicle all the way up to the actual camp site?

haha wishful thinking... So you can't back your vehicle all the way up to the actual camp site?
D5 is a "dune side" site, you cannot take a vehicle off the parking pad ( where the Honda is ) some dune sites the parking pad is deep enough for a popup and a vehicle others are better as tent sites ( D5) the pad is bigger than it looks, but you will notice that my camper is turned sideways on the pad and I still had to angle the Runner to keep it out of the roadway. the step of the camper is actually over the parking block on our site

Back