1998 TJ on Super Duty axles

98_tj

under water
It is about time to start this thread, it is going to be fairly slow. I am building my TJ with 05 super duty axles front and rear.

The jeep had an 8.8 and dana 30 on 35s, but that wasn't big enough and I actually want to be able to keep up with the people I ride with.

40f64b53420566721c4b909520f9e5a9.jpg

This is how it was sitting before this upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

8eb9c0e7b7505676845a74b5507806c9.jpg

These are the super duty axles that I found on Craigslist for $800 for the pair.

b4c325ed431b335e6dcdb8d1623b9745.jpg

I have sold the front and rear axles, and the front bumper.

d25ae6438dee9843991004fea4a62a79.jpg

Off to the Preformance 4x4 to be built. I am going to be running 5.38 gears with artec truss on the front and a barnes 4wd truss on the rear.
0a9600b1797e35b1b2dd36ebe3163697.jpg

I have ordered 14in fox emulsion coilovers.

I am going to be running barnes' 3link, 4 link, and their hd steering tierod.
I am planing on stretching the wheelbase 8in in the rear and 4in in the front. These are subject to change a little as I go.

For steering I am going to be running full hydro with a single ended ram. Due to cost, I am not going to be running high high steer unless I am bending it constantly.

This is how it sits right now, I am going to be slowly building it over the next couple months or so as finance allows.

Oh hell yeah! Matt @Performance is a fantastic builder. Great choice there. And tell Gillis that XJsavage said "Take her to the arsenal!". No explanation needed.
:lol:

Check out the Jesse Haines Fabrication steering arms. They weld on the knuckle and are a lot more affordable than a traditional high steer arm. Just message him on Facebook if you are interested.

Not worried about joining two dis-similar metals?

Last edited:
ahhh that makes it not sketch now lol

a743f5e2b40a576138d485357cceaeae.jpg

This was about the halfway shot on cleaning up this beast. Lenox gold thick metal blades, and a big 6-7in grinder are the only way to clean these without pulling your hair out. My little 4.5in just didn't have the power.

b6a15249dabe6ac581f02cae730fe632.jpg

Rear axle all cleaned up, time to take them to Preformance 4x4 tomorrow!

7fcc4f76be3b5789683e04a07e0a3607.jpg
finished up the front, this last little bit was hell, I had to use the grinder to cut the welds, a hammer and chisel to free it up then use the grinder to cut the chunks off.

Found a set if 39in reds for the jeep, just have to wait till after fall crawl to pick them up. About time to call allied to order some beadlocks

Just heard back from the shop, Matt has regeared the front and working on the back. The rear factory limited slip is hell to weld up, but I haven't been able to find a spool for a sterling 10.5 so it will have to do.

After killing the engine in my DD I had to put the jeep on hold. I found a new motor for my truck and finishing pulling the old one tomorrow and hopefully have my truck running by sunday evening.

Truck is finally going again and running good, just got a picture of the jeep at Preformance
7d4bcd82054b7b6fa103900b7bc0c0aa.jpg

Time to bump this thread again, the barnes sterling truss will not work, so going to have to sell it and custom build one. The artec truss also will not work, that will also have to be custom made. The jeep has been stripped down and is ready for the next step. The jeep will hopefully be a roller in less than a month.

I hate bash barnes but they shorted me some bungs, and a joint had messed up threads. Preformance tried to contact them and see about getting the correct stuff sent out, but they said no. So I probably will just order through preformance from ruff stuff.

What was wrong with the sterling set up from Barnes? We used one on a build at the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 2 main issues with it, there are 3 pieces to the truss, 2 sides and the top. There isn't any bracing between the 2 sides. You would have to add braces to it to lock them together in the middle. If you notice how the artec trusses have gussets to lock the back bone and tubes together to prevent any flexing. Also the height of the truss at the ends would raise the coilovers about 2.5 to 3 in above the tubes. It would make the back of my jeep sit higher than I would like.

I hate bash barnes but they shorted me some bungs, and a joint had messed up threads. Preformance tried to contact them and see about getting the correct stuff sent out, but they said no. So I probably will just order through preformance from ruff stuff.

That's weird I had a messed up heim in my order. Called them, and I'm running it over there Wednesday to get it corrected. Idk how they deal with stuff threw a third party though. I've ordered the wrong thing several times and never had a problem getting it switched out

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah, they had sent me another piece of dom when one came in bent on the end, but it is because the shop is a ruff stuff dealer and not one of theirs they weren't to thrilled.

Back