1998 Chevy 6.5 Pros/cons

Ridgerunner

I am looking at a 1998 k3500 crew cab with a 6.5 diesel. What are the problems that I may run into with the GM 6.5?
Now I want to know from people who own them and maybe some mechanics who work on them. I really don't care who likes what. I want to make a choice based of facts not rumors.

Hey Carl!

Check out the "GM Diesel" forum at coloradok5.com.

Also, I saw this post on Pirate recently, some good 6.5 info:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393142

And I know that Kevin Michael (blkvodoo) on this board has a lot of experience working on the 6.5s, and knows the common problems they have.

What I have read about them:
1) They pull OK, but do not have as much power as a Cummins or Powerstroke. There are modifications available for it.
2) They have some reliability issues, but nothing terrible. Just not as good as they should be.
3) They do not have the long expected life that a Cummins or Powerstroke has. Maybe 200k?

Hope this helps!
Richard

Thanks
I will be getting something soon I have my eyes on this one and a 1996 CTD 3500 Ex Cab Dually. price is a big issue for me right now I will most like try for the CTD first and see if I get it.

I run a 95 6.5L in my gmc. It pulls ok, better than gas. The main problem that I know of is the injector pump driver. The upgrade and fix will run around $500 so take that into account if you look to buy. It just relocates the driver away from the heat of the engine block. Other than that I have had no problems. It is a 95 2500 with the lt80 tranny. Gets 17-20 empty and 12-13 towing a jeep. I would love a CTD or powerstroke for the power, but the GMC/chevys have a better interior and ride. It is my DD so I wanted comfort + power.

Down&Dirty said:
I would love a CTD or powerstroke for the power, but the GMC/chevys have a better interior and ride. It is my DD so I wanted comfort + power.

Yeah I have the same issue with the Fords and Dodges it also looks like the CTD's are the best for mileage.

Richard got the best of both :D

we've got a couple 6.5s in our work trucks and they suck for a work truck. the 7.3 does much better in the work trucks and they stay out of the shop more than the 6.5. The CTD, I've heard nothing but good things about it as well as the 7.3

I have a 97 cube van with the 6.5. It has 58000 miles on it and I have had more problems with it than i care to remember. The injector pump is warranted for 10 years or 125000 miles. I had to replace it . I've spent about 1000 dollars in repairs at the dealership and it still is not running right. I would not buy another one.

Well I guess I will stay away from that 6.5. What you guys are saying is what I thought.
I have found a real nice lightly wrecked 96 CTD dually with 132k I think I will go for that one instead. It is a easy fix and I should save enough $$ to do a WVO conversion.

Thanks Guys

power it doesnt have any. I hope the turbo will help. I ordered new exhaust ram air and new turbo from banks we will see if this helps right now i think i need to start towing the truck with my jeep. The only reason i got it is because it has a new crate motor and trans put in at the dealership in a dually ext cab 4x4 for less than 6k looks good just sloooooooow. One other thing i have not spent any$$ on it except a brake line

We have 2 6.5s at work, 1 of them had a new motor at 36K, the other one had a new motor at 17K, and is in the shop now for another one. 3 motors and 4 turbos in 5 yrs.
My PSD, $750 in warranty work in 4 yrs. Nuf said.

My van just had a 600$ sensor for the turbo go bad.
I never thought a truck with onley 58000 miles on it would need 2000$ worth of repairs in the 4 months that i have owned it

Had one of my 6.5s on the back of a wrecker today, not sure yet how much it'll cost me this time.

I can say one thing good about this work truck though, when the cam sensor went out on my PSD, as bad as I hated to do it, I loaded my PSD on my trailer behind the 6.5. It suprised the hell out of me. It was still slow, it just wasn't any slower. The load didn't seem to bother it. Should've saw the look on the service mgr's face when I parked and unladed right in front of the showroom!

We had to replace the heads on a 6.5 in our dump truck at around 60k. It was a pig.

just installed the banks turbo kit and it made a word of difference. Havnt towed with it yet but im sure it will help nice to leave 4 black marks.

Back