1996 into 2000 Engine Swap

Ben P

Greetings;
I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport w/ 4.0L., auto, 4wd.
Apparently I have lost a piston or rod.
I've heard the aluminum pistons were substandard around that time.
A buddy has a 1996 4.0 in good shape.
Question is....will it "bolt in"?
'96 engine has conventional distributor (mine is electronic w/ coil packs).
'96 engine has squared off intake manifold and carb (mine is fuel injected).
Torque converter attachment?
Engine Mounts?
Accessories and brackets?
Bottom line is will it swap, do I rebuild what I have, or get a remanufactured long block...…?
Thanks!

In a word: no
You need up to a 99 model XJ 4.0 to be bolt in. 2000-01 they changed a few bolt bosses on the block and those are bastard 4.0s compared to older ones.

In a word: no
You need up to a 99 model XJ 4.0 to be bolt in. 2000-01 they changed a few bolt bosses on the block and those are bastard 4.0s compared to older ones.

This is relevant to me right now. My brother has a 99 XJ and just got word that there's low compression and leakdown across the board. The shop is blaming poorly seating intake valves, and their quotes for repair are pretty high. Also said that fixing the head could blow the rings out, we've all heard that before. They want $1500 to do a reman head or $5000 for a reman engine. The body had 200100 on it, but it's in fantastic shape, and of course he just dumped a bunch of money into the cooling system and front end over the past couple of months. I'm doing what I can to help get his repair cost down if he goes that route. So what you're saying is a pre-99 motor will not swap in easily?

He would need a 99 and older XJ or TJ 4.0 to be bolt-in, long block wise. In 2000 (1999 with the WJ 4.0) the blocks are different where accessory drive and MM bosses are.

kannapolis engine service - Google Search

Couple of years ago it was roughly $1200-$1400 for a complete rebuild with a 2 or 3 year warranty. Quick turn around. This was a buddy that used them. I have bought parts from them. Killer customer service.

When/if my half million mile truck blows I’ll probably have them rebuild it.

Back