1995 xj 4.0 auto

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Papa_Jon, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Papa_Jon

Papa_Jon non speller

Took a 95 xj in trade for some owed, Sat for long time checked oil and antifreeze trans fuild all full.
    threw battery in it started right up. drove it home notice trans is hard shifting, If you punch it barley moves . any ideas on what to check for or it safe to say change transmission ?

2. shelby27604

shelby27604 Well-Known Member

Not my area of expertise, but while troubleshooting a recent issue on my XJ, you might want to check the TPS. I have a recent post that shows the readings you should have from 0-100% throttle.

3. shelby27604

shelby27604 Well-Known Member

4. RenegadeT

RenegadeT no shirt,no shoes,no dice Moderator

I was in this exact same boat ~8yrs ago. Researched/checked a few things, ended up swapping in a used AW4 and all was good.

5. Papa_Jon

Papa_Jon non speller

what im figuring try to keep low cost so i can sale . it only has 90k on it

6. Papa_Jon

Papa_Jon non speller

Ok I almost 100% positive I need a trans for it .. go to take off its strong but revs up to 4k then drops into 4th or 3rd straight from 1st ... never goes into Over drive 65mph and 2800 rpms
    which transmission do i need ? What years have same one

7. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

Would this happen to be a 2 door?

8. a_kelley

a_kelley mechanical fixer

91-95 for sure, bolt in, plug up.

88-90 will bolt up, plug up, but the output is 21 spline instead of 23. Basically if you use a 88-90, use the t case that was bolted to it. No worries if 2wd.

96+ will work but you have to change connectors over.

9. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

AW4's are notorious for being damn durable. Is the fluid burnt? I'd drain the fluid and swap a filter and try that. Fluid and filter could be restricting flow from sitting maybe? If at all possible if you do swap transmissions get a 91 - 95.

10. a_kelley

a_kelley mechanical fixer

You could get a later model trans (to get one with less miles possibly) and simply rewire the connectors (reusing your original transmission side and splice it in by looking at diagrams and make a wire color correspondence chart.

11. Papa_Jon

Papa_Jon non speller

Hard to find one ith lower miles 100k on 95 lol.

12. Papa_Jon

Papa_Jon non speller

What i wsx thinking, fuild looks new guessing i could always drop pan is if its filter.
    Is there any wires or hoses thaty could cause problems I'm having?

13. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

This is a good detailed account of the AW4: Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4 - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

From that article: Shift firmness is controlled by a throttle valve cable which meters fluid pressure into the valve body based on throttle position.

Basically it's a hydraulic transmission with shift solenoids I believe. If it was mine I'd clean all the grounds check all connections and clean them check the kick down cable as I call it and do a fluid and filter swap. I have heard of people changing the fluid and filter and it making a world of difference.

14. Papa_Jon

Papa_Jon non speller

Ill pick up a tps tomorrow and a trans filter . Kickdown cable looks ate up like it dragged across something

15. Papa_Jon

Papa_Jon non speller

Ordered some shift solenoids from Amazon on installed them . Xj runs like a top..thanks for help every one