1984 CJ-7/3 Speed Automatic/Column Shifter/Flat Towing

CJM1971

Morning all, hope someone can share their knowledge or experience. I want to attend the Jeep Jamboree coming up in the OBX over the next couple of months but I want both my truck and jeep down there. I have heard mixed things about flat towing an automatic jeep but would like to hear from or talk with someone who's actually done it. Here are some of the ways I have heard to do it. I have a flat towing rig on the jeep but didn't think it through before I installed it, so beginner error on my part, but would like to use it if I could. Not sure about flat towing in general, I have heard it's sketchy, so maybe renting a dolly and just getting the rear wheels off the ground is the way to go....but any opinion is apprecaited!!

1) Put the vehicle in park and the transfer case in neutral and go
2) Remove the rear drive shaft and go
3) Put the vehicle in neutral and transfer case and neutral and go
3) Back it on to a town dolly and go

A Dana 300 transfer case is a non pressure lubricated gear box. Put the transfer case in neutral and tow away! I have heard you cant but I guess since it is slosh oiled, I have never had an issue

You can put the Automatic in Park to keep the trans from "coasting"

Last edited:
I've heard about the skecthiness of a tow dolly, never tried it to confirm/deny.
I did flat tow my CJ, T18/D20, between Greensboro and Tellico, that's what 6hrs? That was the longest trip, many other 2hr trips occurred. Out of laziness, I never pulled any shafts. I may have just put both tranny and t-case in neutral and hoped for the best, maybe got wild and crazy and left the TC in 4HI. Luckily the worst never happened.

A Dana 300 transfer case is a non pressure lubricated gear box. Put the transfer case in neutral and tow away! I have heard you cant but I guess since it is slosh oiled, I have never had an issue

You can put the Automatic in Park to keep the trans from "coasting"

The manual says to stop every 200 miles and run it to lubricate the transfer case. Some guys pull it apart and weld baffles on one of the gears so it slings oil while being towed.

Pulling the driveshafts is the safest bet

Thanks all, very helpful....as always. I won't lie and try to portray I'm any sort of wrench turner like I'm sure most of you are who replied. I'm just a guy trying to enjoy his toy with his family so I will go online and find a video or two on how to pull the rear driveshaft and give it a whirl....assuming the rear is the only one I need to pull? Wish me luck!

Lots of angry grilles and "If you can read this..." stickers

Maybe... but there's nothing listed on the JJ site. I'm just curious what's going on.

Also, angry bird grilles are the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt with stuff like that. To each his own, it's cool that people are into their cars. But those grilles?

You are correct Chris, I pasted the link again, my buddy went to the last one, he said it was worth going just to see peoples Jeeps, and it's gaining in popularity each year. Hopefully know one rolls too close to a turtle nest and then I'm sure it will get cancelled LOL. Anyway, you all should check out the site....I personally think $50 to attend is a bit steep, but hey, I think you get a free T-Shirt.

Outer Banks Jeep Mutiny | Nags Head, NC 27959

Back