1978 Bronco - Project (Low) Balla'

ramjo

Just picked these up today. No big plans right now other than swap parts over to the orange one and see if i can get it mobile. Like most of my projects, there is a budget of zero.....got to maintain my (Low) Balla' status.

Both Broncos have 3"-4" lifts. Drivetrain in the green is a 400, c6, and a 203.

Orange is supposed to have chromemolly shafts in the front ( any way to verify this?). It does have warn lock out hubs, and I'm hoping some gears. I'd love to turn it into some type of half cab with a truck rear window and bulkhead contraption .

IMG_4884.JPG

IMG_4882.JPG

I'd would be a foster parent for one of them....you know....just until you find a good use for it :D
By the time I found use for it? She'll be old enough to buy cigarettes and gamble then. How about this, figure out what the average junkyard parts dealer would charge for a Ford 205, and split that in half and come get it.

I'd would be a foster parent for one of them....you know....just until you find a good use for it :D
Or even better yet, trade straight across for your 203. If I ever decide to do a doubler, that is a crucial part I actually need.

The boys that live beside my parents pulled the motor out of this truck (after they sawzalled the front end out of it) and said "take what you want". Dad pulled the heater out of it and and the center duckwork....well see if it'll work out or not. We pulled the wiring out of the '79 and got it roughly put in.....should be ringin' doughnuts in no time :burnout:

IMG_7260.JPG

IMG_7259.JPG

Had some time today so I rolled it to the front door so I could try to put the gas tank in it and not suffocate from the heat of an uninsulated metal building. Found out sending units no good and fuel filler hoses are a no go so looks like I'll have to spend a little money on it after all. Moved on to putting the radiator support back on and hanging some fenders. Removed the trim from fenders so hopefully I can sell it and pay for the fuel parts. Also pulled the captains chairs and and back seat out of the parts donor before the mosquitoes commenced to attacking(found a couple quarters so I'll put that in the project fund jar as well :D)

IMG_7965.JPG

Last edited:
Bolted the captains chairs in today to get them off the floor.....looks like I've got a Miami Hurricanes theme going on :lol:. Probably browse the local pick-a-part down the road to find some cheap seats to swap onto the frames.i ordered my sending unit and filler hose so should be running off the tank by Thanksgiving .....that's probably being a little optimistic.

IMG_7970.JPG

Down the road I'm gonna have to fix the roof. Looks like an elephant tap danced on it at some point... enough to buckle the A Pillars a little, which have been pulled out. I'm trying to figure out the best option for me to fix it using the roof off the parts Bronco. Drill out spot welds on both and reskin? Cut off at the seam at the bottom of windshield and at the spot welds at the back of the roof? Leave it beat up with the pins still welded to it, rename it "Pinhead" and send it?

IMG_7249.JPG

If I've learned anything on this forum, It's not an official build thread until you mention brown santa and post pictures of your bling parts beside a beverage container ......

New filler hose and vent tube from BroncoGraveyard (outsourced to Dennis Carpenters) and 33 gallon sending unit. A little peeved they didn't send any stickers...they may be receiving a strongly worded email of disgust.

IMG_7996.JPG

Mas better. 2.5" makes all the difference. Now to source some 33 gallon tank straps or skid plate to hold it up but For now the bungees will do the job.

IMG_7997.JPG

For future reference...DC is right by the Charlotte speedway. And they actually do supply a lot of folks like JBG, LMC and NPD. DC does offer made from ford tooling parts, with higher quality materials...but if it’s not specifically stated as such, they’re not. Worth a trip to check out the operation and/or save on shipping. Carolina Broncos used to have an annual G2G in DC’s parking lot...was a good time and could tour their museum and plant (from time to time).

For future reference...DC is right by the Charlotte speedway. And they actually do supply a lot of folks like JBG, LMC and NPD. DC does offer made from ford tooling parts, with higher quality materials...but if it’s not specifically stated as such, they’re not. Worth a trip to check out the operation and/or save on shipping. Carolina Broncos used to have an annual G2G in DC’s parking lot...was a good time and could tour their museum and plant (from time to time).

DC was out of stock on the sending units so that's why I went with JBG.
I may order some patch panels in the future from DC and pick them up at the auto fair in October, if it happens :rolleyes:.

It yard drives good enough to make the 100 yard dash across the road to my parents house now. Dad had to give it his $1500 wash job since it was over there. Timing is off a little but the distributor is stuck so can't adjust it right now. Spraying it with PB blaster so hopefully that will loosen it up eventually. Plugged off some vacuum lines so it's idling better. Power steering is foaming up so need to bleed that. Pretty nice not to have to push this heep around now!

IMG_8449.JPG

Back